Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview Feedback

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by JockNerd, May 7, 2007.

1. JockNerd

Psychology Student
    I noticed that the interview feedback in the psych section is pretty sparse, especially compared to the other SDN sections. I'd like to humbly request that people who have not done so complete some feedback for places they interviewed, whether they got in or not. Several future applicants have already posted on the site, and I'm sure more will in the next few months. I think it would really help them out.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    Bah. Now I'm jealous that I never had an interview. I wanna write stuff damn it! :p

4. JockNerd

Psychology Student
    Well, make something up. I just like to read the negative reviews anyway.

If you have some spare time, check out neg. reviews in the medicine sections. Laugh riot!

5. irish80122

irish80122 DCT at Miss State U.
    Faculty

Psychologist
    We have had ours for a lot shorter period of time I believe. That being said, everyone should do it. All of mine are up there except one which is not in the list. I asked that it be included in the list, but it never happened. Oh well!

EDIT: There goes anonymity, I think for all of my schools there is only one review. Again, oh well.

6. chaos

chaos Member

Pre-Psychology
    I just noticed the interview feedback section...but it's the coolest thing ever. I'm absolutely terrible at speaking extemporaneously- if someone asks something that I'm not expecting- even a simple question, like 'what do you do when you're not studying?' I tend to stammer incoherently. Sometimes the simplest things are really hard to put into words until you take a minute to think about it- and I can't think that fast during an interview! So hopefully by the time I have to interview, I'll be familiar with many of the questions and can improvise if something different comes up.

7. JockNerd

Psychology Student
    Hey chaos-- most universities have a career and employment centre that can set up mock interviews for you. You can usually supply them with questions that you might be asked, as well. Might be worth a try!

8. Ollie123

Psychology Student
    Confession time:)

I've been a socially anxious person all my life (though I doubt its severe enough to be classified as a disorder).

I hated interviewing for ages because of this, even though I outwardly wasn't TOO bad (I still usually got hired), I still despised it. I was the kid that never spoke up in class, I'd wait til afterwards to ask questions, even for much of college.

Practice makes perfect. What did it for me was going on TONS of interviews, even for jobs I had no intention of taking. Apply at grocery stores, delis, the mall, etc. The questions won't be the same as grad school (obviously) but you get used to answering questions, and it doesn't cost you anything other than time.

Its what I did and I have gotten much better, and I now have more troubles in "social" situations then at interviews. I'm more comfortable being interviewed by 3 people with doctorates about my research than I am talking to college kids at a party;) Typing that I realize that sounds kind of sad.....but it sure was great when I went on grad school interviews! Keep practicing and you'll get comfortable with the process. Depending on where you apply, the interviews may end up being very low stress and not a problem anyways (mine sure did).

9. chaos

chaos Member

Pre-Psychology
    geez, what's with all these 'tell me about a transformative life experience', 'describe an event that changed your life', questions. Not everyone's had some kind of intense spiritual awakening! Also that seems a little too personal for an interview- would 'honestly, that's none of your business' be an acceptable answer? :rolleyes:

And Boston U- 'Write the topic sentence of your dissertation' ...I'd have had a heart attack right there.

Ollie- I totally know what you mean. If I ever went to an actual college party it'd go something like:

Me: *walks over to cute guy* hi.
    Cute guy: hi.
    Me: So um...what are you researching?
    Cute guy: *gives wierd look* uhm I work in a tattoo parlor.
    Me: Oh. So what are your thoughts on involuntary treatment in the mental health system?
    Cute guy: *walks away*

10. LM02

LM02 Senior Member

I'm so confused - where is this??

11. yikes

12. Psychxiety

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I interviewed at BU and I did not get this question. Keep in mind that the content of the interviews varies a lot between interviewers even within the same program. On a side note- IMO interviewers at BU asked the toughest questions.

I posted my feedback for all the programs I interviewed at. Honestly though, I'm not sure how helpful the feedback is. My experience may be totally different from yours if you have a different POI.

So maybe some general feedback on interviewing would be more helpful?? I'm going to post my thoughts on the "what to expect thread". Make sure to check that out too.

13. JockNerd

Psychology Student
    The link, of the "I.F." at the top of this page. Alos there's a link on the main page.

14. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus

Psychologist
    This.made.me.crack.up.so.I.had.to.reply!(pardon.the.dots.my.spacebar.just.broke....blah.)...Anyhow.we.were.out.at.a.bar.after.a.long.day.of.school.and.not.only.did.we.tell.some.psych.jokes.and.joked.about.dx'ing....but.we.laughed.about.it....Thankfully.the.other.patrons.didn't.hear.the.topics.of.our.laughter.:laugh:

Dell.tech.support.is.still.on.hold.for.my.chat......thank.god.I.have.next.day.replacement.service.

-t

15. irish80122

irish80122 DCT at Miss State U.
    Faculty

Psychologist
    That.is.assuming.that.the.person.on.the.phone.knows.how.to.speak.English...I.wish.you.luck!

Dang, that would get annoying! Good luck with the keyboard!

Also, the post you referred to is the reason I have a strong preference towards dating fellow psychology people. The problem is that lately no one has had an interest in dating me, but perhaps next year the winds of change will blow in my direction.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    I've taken a different approach - I've only dated insane people.

I think that's how I ended up in this field in the first place. :laugh:

Luckily, now I give up. I shall be the world's most accomplished 80-year old cat lady.

18. Ollie123

Psychology Student
    Nothing inspires clients to take steps to address their mental health issues quite like someone screaming maniacally while launching cats at their head.

Come to think of it, you meet a fellow Simpsons fan that way and who knows where it could lead;)