Interview Flinders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whoops. Technical error here so I'm restarting this thread.

I'll just troll a bit.

Anyone have possible/likely questions or scenarios with a Flinders interview? Scheduled to be Tony Edwards, possibly with one or two others depending on the NAmerican city.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Unch,

Pitman's post is great, lots of good information pertaining to the interview. Do you guys have an informal information session beforehand? Ours is at 9 and my interview is at 2:30.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah,
Session at 10 and mi interview at 12:30 so i guess there's one interview before mine.

Good luck.

Hey all, I just fired off a few emails back and forth from Flinders, and it seems I've got to take a sick day on monday! Flinders interview on the 25th!

Lol.. I submitted the application last week, and now I'm going to Toronto, of all places, for the Flinders interview with Dr. Edwards.

These guys are great so far - very flexible, and they've stuck me on the latest timeslot for my convenience (I live about 2 hours from Toronto).

Anyone else in the same boat? I'm so focused on US Secondaries right now that I'm a little thrown off by all this..

M.

Congrats. Tony aims to please.

Off2Oz,

I guess I'm in the same boat as you, except I'll be in Toronto on Tuesday for the interview and coming down from Ottawa on Monday night. What time is your interview at?

It was at 3:00pm, but got moved back to 4:30 or so.

Great time though - Dr. Edwards was very easy-going, and so was the person assisting him.

It's got to be rough flying down from Australia and doing such a whirlwind tour of NA for all his interviews. I'm impressed.

Teuter said:
Off2Oz,

I guess I'm in the same boat as you, except I'll be in Toronto on Tuesday for the interview and coming down from Ottawa on Monday night. What time is your interview at?

So for those of you who already interviewed this year, do you have any suggestions? Anything different from the interview descriptions in years past?

Thanks much.

Off2Oz said:
It was at 3:00pm, but got moved back to 4:30 or so.

Great time though - Dr. Edwards was very easy-going, and so was the person assisting him.

It's got to be rough flying down from Australia and doing such a whirlwind tour of NA for all his interviews. I'm impressed.

I would agree, the interviewers were very nice and the whole interview was very laid back. I had so much to say, I was exhausted after. And the questions were all straight forward, like "Why Medicine?", or "How would your friends would describe you?" or "How do you deal with stress?" or "In what other profession can you see yourself?"
The prep they give you to illustrate on a board was a very good and at the same time interesting way of figuring out how you will do in future in PBL environment. Advice: pick the details, but also think outside the passage.

I wish other interviews were like this.

Frankly, I think they ve got a difficult job, looking at the rest of the applicants that showed up today for the information session. I wonder how many of us (unique, smart, confident anf full of hopes) were interviewed in NA?

Daria,

I'll agree with everything you've said (and others). The interview was great, laid-back, casual and I also loved the whiteboard exercise. I thought of it like any other presentation I would do for any class that I've taken, graduate or undergraduate.

Personally, I think everybody has a good shot at getting in. Dr. Edwards said yesterday that he was over the hump of interviews and that he had a few left in each of St-John and NY before going home. I think the odds are good for everybody, unless there is something they really didn't like. But, hey, I can only think positive. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks time. Hopefully, we'll see each other again in February (although with all of your interviews, you may go elsewhere!).

Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks for that happy post, Teuter. After all I've heard about the Australian system, and especially Flinders, it's a wonder more Canadians/Americans don't trip over themselves to get Down Under. Good luck all. My interview is next Monday - hopefully Dr. Edwards isn't too wiped out after his whirlwind NA tour.