Interview from Temple...should i go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyadoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an applicant from California and have already been accepted to Drexel and Wayne State. I just received an interview from Temple. Is it worth going to this interview? Does anyone know if they're class is full and if they are interviewing only for the waitlist? thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Please withdraw from the interview if you know you would prefer to go to Drexel/Wayne state.

There are people here without any acceptances, DYING to get an interview from temple ....:oops:

first things first, congrats on getting the interview invite!

being that you are a cali resident, i understand that it might be a pain in the butt to fly out to philly. having said that, is temple somewhere you can see yourself for 4 years? have you been in that area before? do you like the school's curriculum? do your research... look at the website... maybe PM some current temple med students. also consider what your priorities are now that you have multiple acceptances (2 = multiple in my mind when it comes to med school! :) ) is location/atmosphere important to you? what about clinical exposure. if you even slightly think temple may be a good match for you, go to your interview. othewise you'll never know. and besides, it gives you another chance to be in philly and go grab one of those cheesesteaks :) whatever you decide, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
check their match list?

I think both temple and drexel are about the same (close location, near city, kinda ghetto). Personally, i think drexel has potential to grow more than temple. I have drexel acceptance, but no call from temple. but if i get call from temple, i probably look at the match list and decide.

I visited both Drexel and Temple, and I really liked Temple. If you're leaning towards Drexel over Wayne State, check out Temple. It is a very good (and in my opinion under-rated) school, particularly if you are interested in urban/inner-city medicine.

check their match list?

I think both temple and drexel are about the same (close location, near city, kinda ghetto). Personally, i think drexel has potential to grow more than temple. I have drexel acceptance, but no call from temple. but if i get call from temple, i probably look at the match list and decide.

Why does Drexel have the potential to grow more? Temple just broke ground on a big new med school building a few months ago...

Why does Drexel have the potential to grow more? Temple just broke ground on a big new med school building a few months ago...

i didn't know temple is building a new med school building... neways, i thought drexel has potential to grow because the med school is still young. I think the school was started in 1990s and the school has been doing better every year. I haven't visited temple, so i don't know much about temple. I think both school is about the same, that's why i suggest looking at the match list... :hungover:

i didn't know temple is building a new med school building... neways, i thought drexel has potential to grow because the med school is still young. I think the school was started in 1990s and the school has been doing better every year. I haven't visited temple, so i don't know much about temple. I think both school is about the same, that's why i suggest looking at the match list... :hungover:

Drexel is the result of a merger between Hahnemann Med School and Woman's Medical College of PA (early 90s). Then, when the school came upon some financial difficulties, Drexel took it over a few years ago. It's a good school, don't get me wrong. Still true to its mission of educating women and URMs, plus their technology thing is great. My point is just that Temple is good too and worth checking out. Seems like we agree.

My only concern is that Temple and Drexel (and even Jefferson) sometimes all get grouped together as the Philly Med Schools that are not Penn. I'm not sure this is fair. They have similarities for sure, but all three are in different parts of the city and have different strengths and weaknesses.

I looked at their match lists. I like Drexel's match results better. Do you guys agree?

thanks for the input :)
I will probably have to contact some medical students at Temple. Location is somewhat important for me (if i'll be living there for 4 years, it should be a fun place, at the very least :D
But when i went to drexel i really liked their curriculum and their matchlist is pretty awesome as well..so we'll see
and as for withdrawing my interview, i will definitely do that within a week (if i decide not to go to the interview) so that other people have a chance. I already withdrew my interview from university of toledo (in ohio) and felt happy that i have helped a fellow pre-med ...once again, thanks for the input

premeds kill me, man. why in god's name would you be looking at match lists to decide which interviews to go on??? agh. match lists are exactly this: a list of what the 4th year class was interested in and where they want to be. they are not ANY indication of the quality of training you will receive at an institution. nor are they really much of an indicator of what doors are open to you. not to mention you really don't have much of an idea of what constitutes a good/desirable program at this point- you are only scanning for 5-6 big names you've heard of.

please, do yourself a favor, and look at the lists for entertainment purposes only.

and to throw my 2 cents out there, the statement that drexel has more potenital to grow is ignorant and unfounded for a wide variety of reasons that I'm not going to get into. they are both good schools, and their students are very happy. please use objective and personal criteria when deciding what interviews to go on, not the completely *****ic advice of fellow premeds. thanks! have a great day.

I am from the West region too and I don't like Temple for its location. I was at Temple and hate the school's location. Also, I incline to choose Drexel over Temple because of its higher average MCAT (31 vs. 30), its match results, and its location. What other criteria should a person look at when all these schools are in the same group?

I am a first year at Temple who had the decision last year of choosing between Drexel and Temple. For me it came down to how I felt about the curriculum, the vibe from the students and the clinical opportunities that I felt were availible

To the OP, if you were strongly thinking philly, I'd consider going on the interview. I love it at temple and I think a lot of the students here got a certain vibe that made them want to come here over some other schools. I'm just saying that Temple and Drexel are different schools that appeal differently to certain people. Dont think of Temple as just another philly school.

Good luck with your decision

Also, I interviewed in april and was accepted in may

I am a first year at Temple who had the decision last year of choosing between Drexel and Temple. For me it came down to how I felt about the curriculum, the vibe from the students and the clinical opportunities that I felt were availible

To the OP, if you were strongly thinking philly, I'd consider going on the interview. I love it at temple and I think a lot of the students here got a certain vibe that made them want to come here over some other schools. I'm just saying that Temple and Drexel are different schools that appeal differently to certain people. Dont think of Temple as just another philly school.

Good luck with your decision

Also, I interviewed in april and was accepted in may

I'm also struggling with the Temple or Drexel dilemma and would appreciate any more help you all could offer with the decision. But I definitely think rup47 is right, Temple just had a really nice vibe in my opinion. Their interview day presentations were very strong, whereas Drexel came off sounding weak. Also, Drexel had a grumpy office lady give our tour! (~probably not the case for most people, I realize, but still)