Interview hair, makeup and shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applejuju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got an interview invite for this upcoming thursday and I just got a few questions. I'm a type of girl who usually never wear makeup or style my hair. Do you guys think I need to style it on interview day? Like slightly curl it, or straighten it? My hair runs just above my breasts. I'm not quite sure what to do with them....

As for makeup I know not apply too much, just enough to cover any imperfections and some lip/eye stuff.

Lastly for shoes, I have this pair of shoe right now but in quilted black (all black)

http://www.burberryusaonline.com/pr...=3257547&cp=2119969.2838346&parentPage=family

is this ok? or do I need to buy a new one that's more conservative?

I bought a pants suit at macy's for my outfit already.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

On what to do with "them", I suggest covering them... (Your question reads a bit differently that what you want it to say, I do believe!)

I think whatever you want to do with your hair is fine, as long as it's clean and brushed. For makeup, don't wear anything that looks like you're going out clubbing after the interview. And any black shoes should be fine, again, as long as it doesn't look like you're about to go out clubbing.

Your interview is in Seattle, right? It's pretty casual here. People still wear suits at interviews, but anything business appropriate, especially in darker colors, seems to be okay, from what I've seen.

What was already said. But I was going to comment that I do not wear make-up often either but I do straighten my hair because it's out of control naturally. You don't have to do make-up or style your hair if you're not comfortable w/ both (it's more nerve-wrecking if you're not used to it), just show yourself as a clean professional and you will be a-okay! good luck :)

cute heels btw, applejuju.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your outfit sounds fine, and ouch @ the $500 shoes. Hairstyles are largely up to the interviewer, I would just wear whatever your most comfortable with. I don't think you need to get it done at hair salon by any means.

I think your shoes are definitely fine. If your interview includes a tour of the school, just make sure you can be comfortable in them for walking, going up stairs, etc. For the hair and makeup, it sounds like you are on the right track. I would say pick what you are most comfortable and confident doing because it can really show if you aren't comfortable.

I think your shoes are definitely fine. If your interview includes a tour of the school, just make sure you can be comfortable in them for walking, going up stairs, etc. For the hair and makeup, it sounds like you are on the right track. I would say pick what you are most comfortable and confident doing because it can really show if you aren't comfortable.

+1 Always go for comfort. However, there is nothing wrong with purchasing a nice pair of black (insert term for appropriate female shoe here) - you will go on way more than just this interview - so there will likely be a use for them later.

~above~

For hair, I don't think you have to do anything fancy. As stated above, make sure it's neat and combed. If you really don't feel like doing much to it, pull it into a bun. I wouldn't worry too much about makeup. If you want to keep it simple, cover any imperfections with concealer, a little eyeliner, and lipstick (lipgloss looks unprofessional to me). The shoes you have look fine. If you're going to do a lot of walking, make sure it'll be comfortable to you. :)

Don't wear perfume, too much makeup or hairspray. Keep it simple.

Your outfit sounds fine, and ouch @ the $500 shoes. Hairstyles are largely up to the interviewer, I would just wear whatever your most comfortable with. I don't think you need to get it done at hair salon by any means.

I actually bought it for about $140. Got a good deal at a burberry outlet.

And yeah, my interview is with UW. The shoes do kinda hurt... but all pumps do lol. So I don't mind too much.

Thanks everyone for your input! I was really worried that i had to wake up really early to curl my hair or something.

I believe your hair can be up or down, since it is not too long. Just remember to keep it out of your face because you don't want to be constantly touching your hair to get it out of the way. As long as it looks professional upon presentation. You can determine this by asking your self a simple question. "Would other people who don't know me think I am a professional, just upon appearance alone?" As for the makeup, I say foundation to cover uneven skin tones. You can buy a natural color eyeshadow that gives a little color contrast to your skin, since you will be wearing foundation or concealer. Eyeliner is fine, so your eyes can draw attention as you are making eye contact during the interview. But just be careful not to apply too much. A hit of lipstick with the shade being around your natural lip color, will do good. As for perfume, I say wear just a little bit, but be careful when you apply it to your clothes, that is if you wear it on your clothes, because you don't want to show up with wet marks on the suit. :)

I never put make-up on me either. For the interview at Shenandoah pharmacy school, I just pulled my hair back since I got up too late to do anything with it LOL!! :laugh:. For the UW interview, I styled my hair a little bit....nothing fancy. I got in both so that means they didn't care about my hair!!! :DA little concealer for that one single stupid zit...that's all

Any suit will be fine as long as you are comfortable. Same thing with shoes

Good luck! :luck:

For hair, I don't think you have to do anything fancy. As stated above, make sure it's neat and combed. If you really don't feel like doing much to it, pull it into a bun. I wouldn't worry too much about makeup. If you want to keep it simple, cover any imperfections with concealer, a little eyeliner, and lipstick (lipgloss looks unprofessional to me). The shoes you have look fine. If you're going to do a lot of walking, make sure it'll be comfortable to you. :)

You mean it's my personal attributes, essays, EC's, work and volunteer experiences and not the 2 hours I spent styling my hair that got me in, Nikki ? :laugh:

I'm just kidding.

To the author - whatever you do, make sure you feel most comfortable on the interview day. If you feel out of place and fixated on your appearance, you won't be able to relax, be yourself and let your personality and natural charm shine though. I would also stress that you wear most comfortable shoes - I spent over 4 hours after my first interview exploring the school's campus. You want to be sure what you are getting yourself into and seeing the school and all it's aspects is the best way of doing so, even if it requires a lot of walking.