Interview handshakes with COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Given that the general population is being urged to stop shaking hands and the doctors I worked with have resorted to (only somewhat jokingly) resorted to fist or elbow bumps, should I do the same in my upcoming in person interview? I would hate to look too casual or that I am not taking the interview seriously, but would also like to show that I’m health conscious of current issues. Will most likely just give a firm handshake, but would love other points of view.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely go with the footshake. It’s what’s in right now.

but on a serious note just wash your hands after the interview with soap. Or observe what the interviewer does first and then follow suit.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should say, "given the circumstances, I believe we should forego shaking hands." Believe me, your interviewer will thank you!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't shake hands right now with random people. I'd just give them a nice smile and then sit down.

Given that the general population is being urged to stop shaking hands and the doctors I worked with have resorted to (only somewhat jokingly) resorted to fist or elbow bumps, should I do the same in my upcoming in person interview? I would hate to look too casual or that I am not taking the interview seriously, but would also like to show that I’m health conscious of current issues. Will most likely just give a firm handshake, but would love other points of view.
It will be OK if you just give a fistbump. We understand.

Follow Prince of Wales and do
1584038359847.png

• Love
Clearly you go in for an elbow bump /s

My interviewer yesterday extended his hand and then said it's best we didnt given everything going on, and that was the end of that. Was a good seque for us to talk about current events.

Follow your interviewer's lead.

Last edited:
At work I do the Kid n Play with certain folks. It's ok if you dont know what it is....its reserved only for the coolest of us *hair flip*

#NotInvitedToTheHouseParty

My kid recently attended a 5 panel interview (not for medical school) and was sent an email beforehand saying that there would be no shaking of hands given that it was flu season. Turns out it was very forward-thinking, and apparently not awkward because it was expected.

I think you should say, "given the circumstances, I believe we should forego shaking hands." Believe me, your interviewer will thank you!
It will be OK if you just give a fistbump. We understand.
Agree with @LizzyM and @Goro ... and thank you for being professional and considerate, too.

Hold something in both hands when you enter the interview, making it hard to shake hands. Smile and introduce yourself.
It is very royal! This is why Princess Kate always holds a small purse in both hands in front of her, and nobody says she is awkward or unfriendly.
It works even in large gatherings apparently. ;)
kate-obamas-reiss-shola-crop.jpg

I like to offer my interviewer a chicken that I brought home from the Wuhan region of China. It usually goes over well.

Reactions: 2 users
Are they really still gonna hold in-person interviews? My friends applying to fellowships all have Skype interviews now.