Interview Help for DREXEL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. PK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I applied really late but was thrilled when I was invited to interview at Drexel. My interview is this coming Monday. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, especially from those that have interviewed at Drexel. This is my first interview and I really love the school and want to do well during this interview in order to maximize my chances for acceptance.

SDN is great. Thank you moderators and for those that care enough to reply to the problems and concerns of others. This site has been tremendously helpful during the application cycle, be it in providing information and guidance during the process or by providing an outlet to know that there are others who can relate to what you are experiencing. I wish I had learned about this site a few years back.

I'm just hoping and praying that I get in this cycle. Fingers crossed : ).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I applied really late but was thrilled when I was invited to interview at Drexel. My interview is this coming Monday. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, especially from those that have interviewed at Drexel. This is my first interview and I really love the school and want to do well during this interview in order to maximize my chances for acceptance.

SDN is great. Thank you moderators and for those that care enough to reply to the problems and concerns of others. This site has been tremendously helpful during the application cycle, be it in providing information and guidance during the process or by providing an outlet to know that there are others who can relate to what you are experiencing. I wish I had learned about this site a few years back.

My advice is be yourself and have a good time. It's a very laid back interview (my own experience plus everyone I've spoekn to) and a great school. Know your why Drexels, why medicine, and be sure to show interest in the school by asking honest questions if you have any. Good luck!

In my interview i really emphasized why i wanted to go to drexel and was pretty enthusiastic about the school. just be confident in what you are saying and they like to know your story and why you want to be a doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
go check out the interview feedback page for drexel to get a sense of potential questions. it is super laid back and not stressful at all. if you're excited about the school, make sure that comes across strong, bc they love that :luck:

Def. ditto on what everyone else has said. The two interviews (one 30 min. with a student during lunch, 1 45min to 1 hr interview with faculty) are very laid back. Know a little about the school, if you don't know a lot its not that big of a deal. They give you a really comprehensive powerpoint/presentation on the school which is really informative when you first get there. Just be open and honest. If you get asked an ethics question, just remember, there is generally no right or wrong answer, they're just trying to see if you can make a logical argument and stand behind what you say if some screwball is thrown into the equation. Have fun and good luck!

Cheers,
A Tar(Heel) Among Wolves

Your going to enjoy it. Just try to relax. Drexel does not believe in stress interviews, and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome there. So as long as you are prepared for the basic stuff (why medicine? why drexel? Career goals? Major problems with health care, and any ideas for possible solutions?). Thats as tough as it will get, and you may not even get asked much of that either. You will be fine. And of course, you should know your own application and experiences, but that is easy. Be personable, and don't look like an agressive gunner/tool and you will be A-OK. Probably a good idea to think of a few questions that you would like to ask them, because ... well you should do that at all interviews. And take advantage of your opportunity to ask questions of your student interviewer too. Mine was almost like me interviewing her instead of the other way around because I asked a lot of questions, especially behind the scenes stuff that perhaps you wouldn't ask a faculty member. Have fun buddy! Let us know how it goes!

Drexel sucks. Tell them how brave enough you are to come to philly.

my interviewer had a sheet of paper with all questions she wanted to ask. too structured for my taste. no questions were ones you have never been asked or heard of though..nothing new

my interviewer had a sheet of paper with all questions she wanted to ask. too structured for my taste. no questions were ones you have never been asked or heard of though..nothing new

Wow, that's the complete opposite of my interview. Mine started off like this (taken directly from my interview feedback):

"Ok I want to know about you, I want to know about your family, what do your parents do, any siblings, where you're from, where you went to college, how you chose this college and your major, and what made you decide to pursue medicine."

this ended up in me rambling on for about 45 minutes with her nodding her head and agreeing/laughing every once in a while.

I guess different interviewers have different styles! I feel your pain bout the lame interview style though, I had that at NYMC.

Thanks for all your help. I feel a bit more relaxed knowing that this won't be stressful and I am definitely going to take all your advice. I was wondering what sort of ethics questions they can possibly ask-illegal immigrants, abortion..? I'm just worried they are going to ask me about something I don't know about and I will wind up looking stupid and uninformed. Also, I was wondering if there was some way of finding out in advance who your interviewers will be.

I'm excited about the interview. I'm actually deciding on what to wear and so forth. I think heels will be the worst part of the interview : (. I've been in philly before because I grew up in NY so I already know I will like the city.

Well, I am going to go read up some more about problems in healthcare and possible solutions-and also make a list of questions to ask the interviewers. Good luck to all that interviewed and I hope you all get in. Thanks guys- you are all awesome!

Drexel sucks. Tell them how brave enough you are to come to philly. You will be good to go :laugh: Their Step 1 average? I say 1 point more than Temple :sleep:

I agree. FYI, when I interviewed there I looked at the interviewers desk and they had a print out of negative aspects of my applications. I'm sure this document wasn't supposed to be out but it was there. There were things on it like: low grades freshman year? lab research? Of the schools I interviewed at, they were unique in this respect.

Another thing that was annoying was that they scheduled my interview downtown during the tour. It was nice to fly out there and not get a chance to see the school.

Drexel sucks. Tell them how brave enough you are to come to philly. You will be good to go :laugh: Their Step 1 average? I say 1 point more than Temple :sleep:

this person has one interview, sounds excited about it, is looking for advice, and this is your comment?? whats wrong with you! when you want to take this website seriously and actually use it as a resource lets see how many people help you out.

I agree. FYI, when I interviewed there I looked at the interviewers desk and they had a print out of negative aspects of my applications. I'm sure this document wasn't supposed to be out but it was there. There were things on it like: low grades freshman year? lab research? Of the schools I interviewed at, they were unique in this respect.

Another thing that was annoying was that they scheduled my interview downtown during the tour. It was nice to fly out there and not get a chance to see the school.

did you speak up and ask them to try to find you another tour guide? possibly ask the student interviewer if they could arrange something unoffical?

sorry you saw an administrative paper on the interviewer's desk. but isn't the jist of those notes the way things work in med school applications? every interview i have had has asked me about the negatives and i have fought to steer to the positives.

in general, i don't think on'e experience with an admissions office is a good way to judge a med school necessarily. it could be a reflection of the school, but then again it totally couldn't (which unfortunately i think is the case at drexel). anyway, i understand that you didn't really have a chance to form your own opnion because you didn't have a tour, but whatever. in my opnion i don't think the jist of your comments are nearly enough to make such a strong comment

Hi Guys,

hey, i honestly wouldn't waste any time on the ethical questions. like others have mentioned its gunna be laid back. just know your application, be familiar with the school and the reasons you would want to go there; and have some questions handy although don't sound scripted and take advantage of the opp to ask the interviewer any questions that come up while you are visiting.the only questions i got were the usual, why medicine, where do i see myself in ten years, why drexel.

good luck!!! and be yourself!

Hi guys,

Thanks. I will focus on the general questions. As for the negative replies, I expected them but I am too excited to even be bothered by the negative replies. Coming from a campus wth a very disorganized administration, I know this aspect of the school doesn't affect the quality of education you will recieve because it sure didn't in my undergraduate years.

Thanks everyone again and I will let you know how it goes after the interview.

Diggity,

It was just a comment, I didn't mean any disrespect. I was fortunate to have some acceptances going into the interview so my bad experience kinda ruled out Drexel. Maybe, the administrative aspect shouldn't affect the perception of a school but it does. It's a perception and it's personal? I had heard great things about the school so I went to check it out. It was my experience.

I completely understand why they had the sheet out, and I think it's a good idea. I too had to explain the "negatives" at my interviews and I have no problem doing that. The interview is the applicants only opportunity to do that. However, when they're all spelled out, it doesn't make for the most welcoming environment. I'd like to believe that the applicants have some power, as in we're trying to see if the school would be a good fit.

As for the tour, I asked the lady in charge right when I saw my scheduling issue if I could get a tour when I got back. She said she'd one set up. I got back, nothing, asked her again, waited around for an hour then left. Oh well...

Either way, OP good luck.

did you speak up and ask them to try to find you another tour guide? possibly ask the student interviewer if they could arrange something unoffical?

sorry you saw an administrative paper on the interviewer's desk. but isn't the jist of those notes the way things work in med school applications? every interview i have had has asked me about the negatives and i have fought to steer to the positives.

in general, i don't think on'e experience with an admissions office is a good way to judge a med school necessarily. it could be a reflection of the school, but then again it totally couldn't (which unfortunately i think is the case at drexel). anyway, i understand that you didn't really have a chance to form your own opnion because you didn't have a tour, but whatever. in my opnion i don't think the jist of your comments are nearly enough to make such a strong comment

Diggity,

It was just a comment, I didn't mean any disrespect. I was fortunate to have some acceptances going into the interview so my bad experience kinda ruled out Drexel. Maybe, the administrative aspect shouldn't affect the perception of a school but it does. It's a perception and it's personal? I had heard great things about the school so I went to check it out. It was my experience.

I completely understand why they had the sheet out, and I think it's a good idea. I too had to explain the "negatives" at my interviews and I have no problem doing that. The interview is the applicants only opportunity to do that. However, when they're all spelled out, it doesn't make for the most welcoming environment. I'd like to believe that the applicants have some power, as in we're trying to see if the school would be a good fit.

As for the tour, I asked the lady in charge right when I saw my scheduling issue if I could get a tour when I got back. She said she'd one set up. I got back, nothing, asked her again, waited around for an hour then left. Oh well...

Either way, OP good luck.

I actually get excited when they ask about the negatives in my application... it's one of the few times you can show how you have proven yourself despite these setbacks. My interviewer at Drexel asked about all of my negatives and it only worked out for the better.

As far as a tour, if you have to go downtown and do not get back in time for your tour, ask any student walking around if they can show you the building and you can pretty much bank on them having no problem to do so. If anything, by going to center city, you get to see more of the campus than people who do not get to go down there (plus, nothing beats a free shuttle ride to the middle of the city).

I think the most importatnt thing would be to prove that you really want to attend drexel. both faculty and student interviewee asked me why i want to attend drexel in several different ways. For me, it was pretty easy cuz i was from the city and my family is there. also, when you have lunch interview with the student, don't be too uptight. my student interviewer told me some ppl prefer to have interview first and eat separately instead of having regular conversation and eating...

good luck!!!