Interview-help me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dora

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a European graduate planning on coming to Us for 2 ophthalmology residency interviews and I am wondering if anybody can help me with some info on how to prepare for these interviews. What questions are asked? what do PDs look for in an applicant? Are there any good books out there that can help???

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dora
I am a European graduate planning on coming to Us for 2 ophthalmology residency interviews and I am wondering if anybody can help me with some info on how to prepare for these interviews. What questions are asked? what do PDs look for in an applicant? Are there any good books out there that can help???

Hi Dora,

Welcome to the forum, and I wish you luck in your application process. I'm not sure of any good books geared towards applying for residency. I know there's a book called "First Aid for the Match" but I don't know if it's a good book.

The questions asked are usually:

1) Why ophthalmology?
2) Tell me about yourself.
3) Tell me where you see yourself in 10 years.
4) Why do you think you're a good candidate?
5) Do you have any questions about our program?
6) Be prepared to discuss specifics about your application. I ran an internet business during medical school so everyone asked me about this.
7) Tell me about an interesting ophthalmology patient.
8) Some programs asked about ethics and current events. At Wash U, one interviewer pulled out the front page of the newspaper and started discussing medical issues related to current events. We discussed Alzheimer's, medical insurance, and physician assisted suicide.
9) MEEI had one interviewer asked me about world leaders I admire, books I read, Presidents of European nations, and history questions. I think this interviewer was trying to see if he could make me sweat by pushing my knowledge envelope. I didn't know the answer to many of the questions. He did this to everyone, and I know of a few people who left the interview in tears or really upset.

The most important thing programs try to gain from the interview is to answer the question: "Do I want to work with this person and will this person work well with the current staff and residents?"

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your input. That meant alot. I wish you all the best.