Interview help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJeffries

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I have my first interview on Monday (and my second on Thursday) and am a bit worried about my knowlege of current events and topics in medicine. I know that I should have spent more time keeping myself informed of such issues; but between school, work, research, and other responsibilities it hasn't been a priority. I figure I have the rest of my life to learn about HMOs, the ethics of cloning, etc. Unfortunately I now feel underprepared for possible questions about such issues. So I come to you fine people for help! For those of you who have had lots of interviews, what would you say I should spend my time reading up on in the next three days? What are some of the more popular questions that you have been asked? (and by the way, I have been to interfeedback.com, and they don't have any interviews from this year for this particular school). Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I did a search for "medical school interview" and found some site with hundreds of sample questions. Also, the MCAT study book, The Gold Standard, also has some sample questions, I believe.

I've only had two interviews, but from my experience and what I've read on SDN and interviewfeedback.com, the hot topics are assisted suicide/euthanasia, stem cell research, abortion, and what's wrong with the US health care system.
To get up to speed on these and many other issues, try the University of Washington's <a href="http://eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/bioethics/topics/index.html" target="_blank">awesome bioethcis site.</a>
Good luck with your interview! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know how to post a link on here, but go to cnn.com, and they have a wonderful Bioethics folder in their health section. The articles are very well written on several topics, with relevant case study examples. I was quite impressed. Good luck on your interviews!

Tweetie

LbJeffries, where do you have interviews at??

Kansas & Cornell

Good luck, I read alot of bioethics books about many different topics. As undergrads at my school, we have access to the medical school library where it was very easy to find tons of info.

It's good to get a general sense of what's going on. But don't stress about memorizing details. If the conversation comes up, just be able to discuss the topic, such as stem cell research or euthenasia. I haven't had anything come up in detail during any of my interviews.

What an interviewer is looking for is personal characteristics, so just relax, and be yourself.

I personally like publicagenda.org as it tries to give the various sides to the arguments, the suggested solutions and the pros and cons to each solution...

Personally, I think that forcibly preparing for an interview is bad news. You should go in relaxed and HAPPY. I mean, you are getting an interview! You should be so stoked on that. The admissions people already know how much you have learned. Make their experience as enjoyable as your own and you will do fine. If you don't know the answer to a question, just say you don't know. If they ask your opinion on something, just give an opinion. It really doesn't matter whether it is researched or not. If your opinion generally doesn't agree with theirs, then it can add to the diversity of the class.