NYY13251

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2017
I have my first interview in 2 weeks! Nervous and excited. I have always done pretty well on interviews but those have been for jobs. Not for graduate school. I am going to have some practice interviews with some people. I have googled questions, etc, but any tips for people who have interviewed? One thing I always get stuck on is when I am asked if I have any questions. What type of questions have you asked? Is there any specific prep work I should do before the interview? I am going to research more facts about the school, but anything I should definitely know?!

Thanks!

therapist2be

2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2016
Status
Occupational Therapy Student
Yay you got an interview! To which school? Was it with ones I recommended for you to apply to? Anyway, I'm super excited for you and also hoping someone with experience replies because I will also need the advice if I receive interviews (hopefully!).

PlayWithClay

2+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2016
Status
Occupational Therapy Student
Congratulations on getting an interview! That is an achievement in itself! I just started the MSOT program at SHU last week so my interview memories are still very fresh!

The biggest tip I can give you is SMILE, be yourself, and try to relax.
Below is a link I used when doing interview prep along with the bulleted list I worked from.

Occupational /Physical Therapy Programs Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself. practice a brief but interesting answer that provides a good amount of information about your background and gets them interested enough to want to know more.
  • What are some skills/attributes/experiences that you have that will help you be successful
  • What drew you to the profession?
  • Who do you admire?
  • What is your favorite book?
  • What are your top 3 character attributes?
  • What are the most difficult things about your personality
  • Describe a specific situation where you had to overcome either an adverse situation or some sort of ethical situation.
  • How do you define OT to a friend?
  • Why did you choose this program?
Questions for the school:
  • What do you consider the strengths of the program? Weaknesses?
  • What steps are being taken to address the weaknesses it might have?
  • How involved are the alumni?
Hope this helps, and good luck!

About the Ads
OP
N

NYY13251

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2017
Congratulations on getting an interview! That is an achievement in itself! I just started the MSOT program at SHU last week so my interview memories are still very fresh!

Below is a link I used when doing interview prep along with the bulleted list I worked from.

• Tell me about yourself. practice a brief but interesting answer that provides a good amount of information about your background and gets them interested enough to want to know more.
  • What are some skills/attributes/experiences that you have that will help you be successful
  • Who do you admire?
  • Describe a specific situation where you had to overcome either an adverse situation or some sort of ethical situation.

Awesome!!! Thank you!!! Good luck in your program!!!

Reactions: PlayWithClay

AustinOT

2+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
Hope your interview went well!! I have my first one at the end of this week, and I'm super nervous. I've been going over sites that say what to bring/wear to grad school interviews in general. I saw that some places said to bring a copy of your resume and personal statement. Should I bring these to an OT school interview?

Reactions: myOT1995

MrTL

2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
Hope your interview went well!! I have my first one at the end of this week, and I'm super nervous. I've been going over sites that say what to bring/wear to grad school interviews in general. I saw that some places said to bring a copy of your resume and personal statement. Should I bring these to an OT school interview?
Wouldn't hurt to have it on hand!

mjb2017

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2017
I had 2 interviews this past weekend and neither of them expected me to have a copy of my resume or personal statement. One of them did the interview completely blind, while the other had my personal statement in front of them. I think it would be ridiculous for them to expect you to have these things without explicitly stating it, but like the other user said, it may not hurt to have them. Even if they don't ask for these things, they could be useful to glance over before you go in.

Reactions: AustinOT
Oct 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
I have also had two interviews and neither of them needed a resume. I read somewhere that the only reason you might need a resume is if for some reason your interview time got cut short and you didn't get to tell them much about yourself. I have had one interview where they read my personal statement that I submitted on OTCAS before my interview and the other was completely blind.

Otmom95

2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2016

• Who do you admire?
Hi,
Just wondering are these questions general or questions asked during your SHU interview? How was the PBL experience part of the interview? Trying to get a little insight into the SHU program. How do you like it? How's the PBL style? How's the new building? Anything you know now that you wish you knew before? Are you happy with your choice to attend? Thanks for your help.

About the Ads