interview invite without LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2008applicant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if letters of recommendation are needed for consideration for interviews at most schools? ive seen schools write "a completed file is needed in order for your file to be reviewed by the committee" but my premed advisor seems to think most schools give interviews even if you dont have letters of recommendation complete yet... anyone seen previous year's threads about this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree with your advisor. Save for the few schools which to 'auto-invites' (UMich, Pitt, etc.), schools require that your file be "complete" (including LORs) before they will consider it for interviews.

I disagree with your advisor. Save for the few schools which to 'auto-invites' (UMich, Pitt, etc.), schools require that your file be "complete" (including LORs) before they will consider it for interviews.
I know for sure Pitt doesn't need them. Can't speak for anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess University of Louisville doesn't need them to schedule an interview, but I, too, was under the impression that at most school they're needed prior to an invite.

does anyone know if letters of recommendation are needed for consideration for interviews at most schools? ive seen schools write "a completed file is needed in order for your file to be reviewed by the committee" but my premed advisor seems to think most schools give interviews even if you dont have letters of recommendation complete yet... anyone seen previous year's threads about this? thanks

Only in Texas pal. All other schools make you wait for LORs before your file is complete.

Only exceptions I know of are auto-invites from UPitt and UMich.

As said above, some schools auto-invite based on certain criteria. Pitt does this. Not many schools do this though, most need your LORs to consider your application

Indiana does this if you are:
1. Indiana resident
2. GPA 3.2 or higher, and
3. MCAT 24 or higher

Ohhio State just says that LOR need to be in before your interview date so I don't know if that actually means they don't look at them for everyone or only people that meet certain criteria.

this is driving me nuts...hate waiting on someone else to determine my future lol

I agree. All of the schools I've received "complete status" at only sent it out upon receiving my LORs, and said that at that point I was considered complete and would be reviewed.

However, oddly enough, when I spoke to Northwestern yesterday, they said that they give out interview invites sometimes even before the have received all LORs. I didn't push for clarification on that one, but she did say that they understand that things happen (i.e., that LORs get held up sometimes), and that they consider LORs to be just the icing on the cake. So, if they like the rest of your app, they'll invite you regardless of your LOR status. Makes me think that they don't wait for LORs to review a file.