Interview Invites and the Realm of Safety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is having 4 interview invites entering the realm of safety (being admitted to at least 1)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is having 4 interview invites entering the realm of safety (being admitted to at least 1)?

While nothing is ever guaranteed, 4:1 is usually the ratio I hear most often (4 interviews to every one acceptance). :thumbup:

I will put it in the 90+% chance of getting accepted in one of these schools..

Last edited:
If i remember correctly, multiply the odds for each school, that will be your overall odds to get accepted to one school (everything else being equal), and for chances of two or more acceptances add the odds . I would do # interviewees/class size for each school you are interviewing. Whatever number you get you know its going to be a little higher b/c schools will accept more than their class size. Just my $0.02

If i remember correctly, multiply the odds for each school, that will be your overall odds to get accepted to one school (everything else being equal), and for chances of two or more acceptances add the odds . I would do # interviewees/class size for each school you are interviewing. Whatever number you get you know its going to be a little higher b/c schools will accept more than their class size. Just my $0.02

Good point. Keep in mind, that your interview performance does matter. I was VERY rusty early on in my interviews and markedly improved as I participated in more. These weren't like the business interviews I've been on in the past, I'm sure this turned what should have been acceptances into waitlists for me. But it is nice to get a numerical probability if only for confidence. Anyways, good luck! :luck:

Four interview invites so far, 2 waitlists, 1 unknown, 1 yet to happen

Good point. Keep in mind, that your interview performance does matter. I was VERY rusty early on in my interviews and markedly improved as I participated in more. These weren't like the business interviews I've been on in the past, I'm sure this turned what should have been acceptances into waitlists for me. But it is nice to get a numerical probability if only for confidence. Anyways, good luck! :luck:

This makes me really nervous, I applied to 9 schools: 2 invites, 6 processing secondary and 1 rejection. My first one is in late Oct...BUT I want to be in prime time for it because I really like that school yet I have not interviewed once...

This makes me really nervous, I applied to 9 schools: 2 invites, 6 processing secondary and 1 rejection. My first one is in late Oct...BUT I want to be in prime time for it because I really like that school yet I have not interviewed once...

First interview this Friday. I am just going to go in there and do the thing. Whoever chooses me will have an amazing doctor as an alumnus.

One thing that will help you over a vast majority of premed is mock interview. Ask a doctor or even a friend to mock interview you. I used to think I was a great interviewer until I did a mock interview. It will not only calm you down but you can receive constructive feedback so that you can go into your first interview confidently. I know it certainly helped me.

First interview this Friday. I am just going to go in there and do the thing. Whoever chooses me will have an amazing doctor as an alumnus.

You and everyone else ;)
Good luck.

One thing that will help you over a vast majority of premed is mock interview. Ask a doctor or even a friend to mock interview you. I used to think I was a great interviewer until I did a mock interview. It will not only calm you down but you can receive constructive feedback so that you can go into your first interview confidently. I know it certainly helped me.

You and everyone else ;)
Good luck.

You have to believe that though.

You have to believe that though.

As I have gotten to know you I have no doubt about you gaining an acceptance. Keep believing! Walk in OWNING those interviews from the moment you step out of the car until you climb back in. You got this!!!

What i'd like to know is do early interview invites count more than later ones? For instance lets say you're in the first round of invites in August/Sept would a school be looking to take 8 out of the 10 interviewees versus March where a school might only be looking to take 3 out of 10

What i'd like to know is do early interview invites count more than later ones? For instance lets say you're in the first round of invites in August/Sept would a school be looking to take 8 out of the 10 interviewees versus March where a school might only be looking to take 3 out of 10

Earlier is obviously better. But if you're a strong candidate, make them want you whether it be September or March.

this makes me really nervous...but i want to be in prime time for it because i really like that school yet i have not interviewed once...

one thing that will help you over a vast majority of premed is mock interview. Ask a doctor or even a friend to mock interview you. I used to think i was a great interviewer until i did a mock interview. It will not only calm you down but you can receive constructive feedback so that you can go into your first interview confidently. I know it certainly helped me.

Good luck.

+1, mock interviews seem to be helping my friend a great deal who has gone form timid, shy, unable to form complete sentences type to a pretty decent interviewee. It's worth doing if even for the confidence.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It seems that mock interviewing is the way to go