interview invites = Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlee

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many interview invites should an applicant have by the time of submission of the Rank Order List to feel confident in matching somewhere??

Members don't see this ad.

173 hits and still no reply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say atleast 1,342.

Back before I saw the light, I was considering going into Ortho. At that time, I was told to apply to a lot of programs with hopes of getting 10 interviews, which would give me a great chance at matching.

I'm not sure if this applies all that well since the positions per program for Ortho(2-4) are much less than for anesthesia(10-20). One could make the case that one interview for anesthesia is 4-5 interviews for ortho. But then you have to consider that each anesthesia program probably interviews more people than ortho which clouds the picture. Now that I have confused myself and probably you, I really think it depends on how strong of a candidate one is.

thanks for your input gaseous

The rule of thumb, regardless of which specialty, 10 good interviews should make you feel comfortable that you will match into the specialty. I don't remember the exact statistics, but most people match into their top 3 ranked choices from their rank list. I think it was upwards of 75%.

As with any rule, there is some give and take to this arbitrary number that has been passed down to applicants throughout the ages.

Good luck all!

drlee,

judging by your posts on everything from # of interviews needed to match to slowdown of interview offers to which color suit to buy, it is quite clear that you are reeeeealy over stressing yourself!! take some versed and RELAX!!

i know of a few candidates last year that interviewed at only 3-4 programs and matched and one candidate that interviewed at several (10+) programs and didn't match altogether. so my point is that there is no definitive answer. just be confident in yourself, your application and trust that everything will work out for you! :)

i'm a USIMG and a MSIV at Ross University. Though I believe my appl is pretty strong, it's hard not to doubt my candidacy because of my school status. It's all the more difficult due to the increased competitiveness of the field of anesthesiology. I've worked incredibly hard over the past 3.5 years and now is the time when we all see whether or not such hard work will pay off. So sorry for sounding stressed and having all this anxiety. If you were in my position as a medical student attending a foreign medical school, trust me. You would feel the same.

I'm a DO student with poor boards and grades (didactics but ther only ones that count towards class rank). I have decent extra-curriculars, research, and clinical grades, letters. So far I have 7 interviews. It seems that programs interview about 10 to 1 for spots (100 interviews for 10 spots). Another student told me programs then rank about 4 to 1 (40 ranked for 10 spots).
So, even if I get 10 interviews I could be unranked come the match b/c of my numbers. I seems to me that most programs have a secretary screen for the interview, then the PD others conduct the interview. Have people heard on someone going on 10+ interviews and not matching? Are board scores a major factor after the interview? If that is they case I would rather get the rejection right away instead of spending hundreds of dollars for an interview I cannot change. I guess I'm asking if anyone has any insight into how the interview process works. Thanks.

hello florida,

first can you tell us which seven you have heard from?
From the seven you can get more insight.

How many did you apply to? You probably did not even spend the money to apply to all of the 130+ programs.

yes, possible for someone with ten+ interviews not to match.

yes, also possible that someone to not to pass the boards.

you have to take these facts with some understanding there is always a possibility.

yes, there is someone with just two interviews who was able to match. BUT THIS IS NOT THE NORM!!!

there are programs that rank people by board scores. If all the programs did this, there will be more places that go unmatched every year. Because each candidate does not apply to just one program but to multiple programs.