Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reapplying to medicine and I was wondering when interview invites usually go out, ie. when do I determine that I need to send out more apps? I can't remember from the previous match.

Thanks so much!

Poety

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reapplying to medicine and I was wondering when interview invites usually go out, ie. when do I determine that I need to send out more apps? I can't remember from the previous match.

As a rule of thumb, if you're re-applying, you need to send out more apps. Apps are cheap, it's the interviews that are expensive. If you have to reapply to IM you should probably be applying to 50-100 programs (and don't waste your money on the big names) unless you failed Step 2 last year and this year improved it to a 99.

To actually answer the ? you asked though, invites go out anywhere from now to early Jan. If you don't have a dozen or so invites by mid November you need to apply more broadly.

As a rule of thumb, if you're re-applying, you need to send out more apps. Apps are cheap, it's the interviews that are expensive. If you have to reapply to IM you should probably be applying to 50-100 programs (and don't waste your money on the big names) unless you failed Step 2 last year and this year improved it to a 99.

To actually answer the ? you asked though, invites go out anywhere from now to early Jan. If you don't have a dozen or so invites by mid November you need to apply more broadly.

Thanks gut, I should have clarified - I'm switching specialties not reapplying, I'm currently in psych and hoping for IM, I've already got my permanent license but my board scores are pretty dumpy. I will take your advice though and send in more apps in mid October should no interviews come up, I've only applied to 10 so far!

Thanks for the help! BKN, you have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
poety,
definitely apply for more programs now. i applied to about 20 programs and i was a regular applicant. if you apply early, it shows you are interested in their program "first cut". if you get too many interview invites, you can always cancel. apps are only like $30 each, just splurge and apply broadly. o2s

poety,
definitely apply for more programs now. i applied to about 20 programs and i was a regular applicant. if you apply early, it shows you are interested in their program "first cut". if you get too many interview invites, you can always cancel. apps are only like $30 each, just splurge and apply broadly. o2s

Thanks o2 - Ive applied to 23 total now :scared:

i agree with gutonc, you should probably apply for more