Interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pickles0709

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I have had two programs invite me to interview and one has declined. The places that invited me had a very quick turn-around time from when the applications were due. On the other hand, the program that declined took about a week and a half to get back to me. I am worried because I still haven't heard back from one program whose application deadline was last Friday. Is it too soon for me to be worried that I didn't get an interview? Has anyone else noticed this theme? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have had two programs invite me to interview and one has declined. The places that invited me had a very quick turn-around time from when the applications were due. On the other hand, the program that declined took about a week and a half to get back to me. I am worried because I still haven't heard back from one program whose application deadline was last Friday. Is it too soon for me to be worried that I didn't get an interview? Has anyone else noticed this theme? :confused:

I think it's too soon to be worried. I know a program nearby who had a deadline at the beginning of the year but are just now being able to sort through all of the apps. I know it's hard, but just be patient. :)

*returns to refreshing her e-mail every 30 seconds* :p

I wouldn't worry...being on the other side of things this year, it can take quite a long time to sort through all the applications. Most places may send out invites all the way up until the last week Jan.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto, I have one program I haven't heard from whose due date was 1/5. I don't think the due date has much relevancy to when they send out invites. I've heard from 4 of 11 so far.

I got an invitation from a program and got one denial. a couple more to wait for.

I applied to 5 residency programs and have only received one interview invite as of now. The one that I heard one had the earliest deadline - 1/1/09 (got the invite on 1/14). I haven't heard anything from the other 4 yet (most had deadlines around 1/5-1/9), which makes me quite nervous.

Do residency programs always contact applicants even if it's a decline?? :(

I applied to 5 residency programs and have only received one interview invite as of now. The one that I heard one had the earliest deadline - 1/1/09 (got the invite on 1/14). I haven't heard anything from the other 4 yet (most had deadlines around 1/5-1/9), which makes me quite nervous.

Do residency programs always contact applicants even if it's a decline?? :(

I don't know if it is an always, but I have received 1 decline.

It might be in your best interest to touch base with programs. I've touched base with everyone and at the least gotten a "we will be looking at applications next week" type response.

Two of the programs to which I applied let me know that my packet was complete the first week of the month, but I've yet to hear anything from either about when they'll start notifying people for interviews. The deadlines for both places have passed. Should I e-mail them, and if so, how should I ask about the timeframe? Or should I just wait? :confused:

Two of the programs to which I applied let me know that my packet was complete the first week of the month, but I've yet to hear anything from either about when they'll start notifying people for interviews. The deadlines for both places have passed. Should I e-mail them, and if so, how should I ask about the timeframe? Or should I just wait? :confused:

I would just wait. They have already told you that your application is complete.

I applied to 8 programs last year and got 5 invites. The three that denied me all notified me that I didn't get an interview. I didn't get invites to some of them until the end of January.

It’s hard to say whether to wait or contact them. It’s probably best to have patience and wait for their response, especially if they have already contacted you and told you they received your application. However, if you haven't heard anything at all and it’s been over a week since the deadline past than it might not be a bad idea to contact them. One place sent me an invite via email and got my email address wrong so I never got it. I had been wondering why their response was taking so long but I decided to wait a bit longer before I contacted them. Luckily, they noticed the mistake after I failed to respond with an answer. They ended up calling me and apologizing. It all worked out just fine but I only had two interview dates left to choose from. I don't think these mix-ups happen very often so it’s best not to worry. I just seem to have bad luck sometimes.

It’s hard to say whether to wait or contact them. It’s probably best to have patience and wait for their response, especially if they have already contacted you and told you they received your application. However, if you haven't heard anything at all and it’s been over a week since the deadline past than it might not be a bad idea to contact them. One place sent me an invite via email and got my email address wrong so I never got it. I had been wondering why their response was taking so long but I decided to wait a bit longer before I contacted them. Luckily, they noticed the mistake after I failed to respond with an answer. They ended up calling me and apologizing. It all worked out just fine but I only had two interview dates left to choose from. I don't think these mix-ups happen very often so it’s best not to worry. I just seem to have bad luck sometimes.

It all worked out by waiting. I have 7 interviews so far, and the last 2 from which I'm waiting to hear will begin notifying on Monday. :) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a 7th invite today - over a week after a friend/classmate had an offer extended to her by the site.

So there is hope if you don't hear when other people do!

did everyone get interview offers and/or rejections for all the residency programs that they've applied to?
i still haven't heard from 4 of the programs and it's already february. does this mean that I won't be likely to get an interview offer from them. i'm beginning to get worried as to why it takes so long to hear back from them (the deadlines for them were in the beginning to mid-january). :scared:
and is it possible for someone to not get any interview offers at all?
thanks!

I've heard from all 10 of mine. I heard from the last one I think Thursday last week.

It's possible not to get any interviews - one of the best residents I ever worked with didn't get any interviews and ended up scrambling. It worked out for the best for him.

did everyone get interview offers and/or rejections for all the residency programs that they've applied to?
i still haven't heard from 4 of the programs and it's already february. does this mean that I won't be likely to get an interview offer from them. i'm beginning to get worried as to why it takes so long to hear back from them (the deadlines for them were in the beginning to mid-january). :scared:
thanks!

I heard from and was invited to interview by all nine programs to which I applied. The last one notified me a week ago today. If you're concerned, I think it's safe at this point to e-mail them, but I'm not sure how the prospect looks since it's now February.

If you don't get interviews or don't match, just do the scramble after March 18. :) Good luck!

thanks!

I have heard back from 4 out of the 5 programs I applied to. I'm planning to email the 5th one before this weekend to find out what's going on.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone apply to Lutheran General in IL this year? That's the program that I haven't heard back from. I wonder if they forgot about me, hmm :confused:

If you don't get interviews or don't match, just do the scramble after March 18. :) Good luck!

I only applied to two residency programs and will be interviewing with both starting next week. There is a chance I may not match. (Please forgive my ignorance) When you say "scramble" does that mean I can apply to any unmatched programs as long as I am unmatched...even if I did not apply to them in the first place? Thanks for response.

Yes. On March 18 all of the programs with unfilled positions will be revealed and you can contact them directly at that point to interview for their program. Good luck!!!;)

I only applied to two residency programs and will be interviewing with both starting next week. There is a chance I may not match. (Please forgive my ignorance) When you say "scramble" does that mean I can apply to any unmatched programs as long as I am unmatched...even if I did not apply to them in the first place? Thanks for response.

Yeah, the scramble's been discussed before, but Unraveling just explained it again. Also, if you applied for the match and paid the fee, you should have received something from them by snail mail this week explaining the match and the scramble.

By the way, I noticed you're already a pharmacist. Are you currently in retail and decided to do a residency?

Yeah, the scramble's been discussed before, but Unraveling just explained it again. Also, if you applied for the match and paid the fee, you should have received something from them by snail mail this week explaining the match and the scramble.

By the way, I noticed you're already a pharmacist. Are you currently in retail and decided to do a residency?

I did get the envelope in the mail yesterday...I didn't read it yet.:oops:

Yes, I am a pharmacist but I'm not working right now. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Yes. On March 18 all of the programs with unfilled positions will be revealed and you can contact them directly at that point to interview for their program. Good luck!!!;)

Thank you!

o

Last edited: