Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview Issues...any help would be great!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mfpullen, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Ok, so here's the deal. I'm applying for med school this July/August (2007). I'm also hopefully going to be taking a 9-12 month contract in Moscow teaching English to Russian students. Does this basically mean I'm disqualified from applying to medical school since I won't be able to fly to interviews and back, since it costs like $2000 for the trip? Or do they allow interviews over the phone typically?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Applicants who will be abroad during the application cycle typically plan to be back in the States for 2-3 weeks in December/January and they make a note of this in their AMCAS application and mention it in the supplemental or through an e-mail message to the Dean of Admissions. Schools that are interested will make interview invitations with that "window" in mind. Apply early so that schools don't get to your application too late to take advantage of your brief trip to the States.

While the $2000 travel from Russia is quite a bit, you may be able to save a little money by grouping interviews in a general geographic area and making only one trip to a given region.

4. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Banned
    Banned

Better start saving about $6000K for travel!:eek:

5. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Lizzy: Hmm...well, I'll be back in the country from 12/22 to 1/6, so you think that's a big enough window to give the schools?

6. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...

Resident [Any Field]
    No. Most admin. offices are closed right in that window.

7. mfpullen

mfpullen Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Well poo.

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    If you could be back in the US from 12/12 to 1/6 or 12/22 to 1/16 then you may have a better shot. The week of 12/23 is certain to be a "no interview" week. Some schools may be back on a usual schedule by 1/2/08 but you may be out of luck at some schools. Try to tack on an extra week.