Interview @ Maryland after December Hold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vizsla

in a lucid interval
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
etudiante04 said:
Still waiting. :(

Are any of your writing a LOI to Maryland? I wanted to but the hold email seemed like they discourage it. I don't want to annoy them, but I really want to make sure they review my file again.

i wrote them one. my theory on it is that it can't hurt and from the position of pre-interview hold, it doesn't get much worse.

I wrote one and sent more Letters of Rec....I dont know what else I can send. Ive kinda given up hope. Since they stop interviewing in March, I think they will give their last invites around mid-February. They are way too selective with their in-staters....

I wrote mentioning I was waitlisted last year and that I did what they recommended in a follow up phone call after not getting off the list. Also, what I wrote was a LoIntent. Haven't heard a thing. :(

LucidSplash said:
I wrote mentioning I was waitlisted last year and that I did what they recommended in a follow up phone call after not getting off the list. Also, what I wrote was a LoIntent. Haven't heard a thing. :(

I wish the admissions office was more forthcoming about the app review process. Whenever I call, all they say is "check online for your status." Waiting is the absolute worst....

I thought the online status only shows if your app is complete. Will they post if you have been rejected there?

Kleintje said:
I thought the online status only shows if your app is complete. Will they post if you have been rejected there?

very unlikely

Kleintje said:

I dont think so....you will get a rejection letter in the mail. When I called I didnt ask what decision they made, I just asked if my file had been reviewed and when it would be reviewed again in the near future. They told me nothing of course....except "check your status online."

The online site also changes and has information once you are granted an interview. But from my experience it does not change until after they have emailed you the interview invite.

It does not change to show you are rejected as far as I know, but I was waitlisted so it may be different for actual rejections.

LucidSplash said:
The online site also changes and has information once you are granted an interview. But from my experience it does not change until after they have emailed you the interview invite.

It does not change to show you are rejected as far as I know, but I was waitlisted so it may be different for actual rejections.

I think UMD can tell I'm using firefox and not internet explorer to view the status page, and as a result they are not updating it to punish me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I called UMaryland's admission office. They told me the adcom didn't do anything until this early this week. They took a long winter vacation. The admissions lady sounded kinda irked when I called her.

Dr.Giggles said:
Hey, I called UMaryland's admission office. They told me the adcom didn't do anything until this early this week. They took a long winter vacation. The admissions lady sounded kinda irked when I called her.

I'd be irked if you called me at the beach too.

Dr.Giggles said:

When you guys call the admissions office to you ask to speak to anyone in particular? Or do you just ask the questions to whomever answers the phone?

SaturdayDwarf said:
When you guys call the admissions office to you ask to speak to anyone in particular? Or do you just ask the questions to whomever answers the phone?

I asked whoever answered the phone and I was curtly told to check the website. Which of course doesn't actually say anything.

yeah the admissions secretary is completely useless...why does she even answer the phone...just let it ring

Dr.Giggles said:

Well... I guess that's sort of good news for us. Unless that means that they rejected me earlier this week and the letter's in the mail...

Jaider said:
Well... I guess that's sort of good news for us. Unless that means that they rejected me earlier this week and the letter's in the mail...

I hope this is good news. Has anyone gotten an interview since the committee came back from break?? And back to the original question, has anyone who was previous on hold gotten an interview at all??

About rejections, though - Has Maryland started rejecting people yet? I just assumed everyone who wasn't interviewed would remain on hold until the end of the interview season.

-sd

Vizsla said:
yeah the admissions secretary is completely useless...why does she even answer the phone...just let it ring

Awww, I just called and she was really nice to me. Maybe it's someone different today? She wasn't very helpful though. She told me they stop interviewing in March (which I knew), that they dont' have any admissions advisors and the admissions directors don't speak to people who currently have an open application, and that if you are going to send a LOR make sure it's for a new activity and not a reiteration of a previous letter.

<okay... this post was a thinly veiled bump, but this is the only thread i post on. and i got lonely :( >

Crap, I got the mail yesterday: waitlisted. I can into public schools out of state but not my own state school. Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there is?

interview on 2/6/05. can anyone send me the link to their secondary application pleaseee???

Cozmosis said:
When did you interview, Giggles?

Hi there.

I interviewed in October, like you. Looks like we've both been waitlisted. Our files will be looked at again in April once they are finished with all the interviews in March. So we have about 3 more months to go before hearing anything from them.

April, folks. April.

Take care. :)

SaturdayDwarf said:
when did they contact you about the interview?

secondary app

they contacted me on 12/1/05. i think it's pretty late in the game, so i m thinking about canceling it, since i m already in at my state school in VA .

when you say waitlisted, is that 'waitlist' or post interview hold? My letter said not accepted, rejected or waitlisted (Hold??). Has anyone been officially waitlisted as of yet?

jtothek said:
when you say waitlisted, is that 'waitlist' or post interview hold? My letter said not accepted, rejected or waitlisted (Hold??). Has anyone been officially waitlisted as of yet?

It's a waitlist in the sense that you won't hear until *after* March. It's not a waitlist in the sense that the class is not full yet. I suppose the most appropriate term is a hold.

crazy_cavalier said:
Hi there.

I interviewed in October, like you. Looks like we've both been waitlisted. Our files will be looked at again in April once they are finished with all the interviews in March. So we have about 3 more months to go before hearing anything from them.

April, folks. April.

Take care. :)
I interviewed in December.

I interviewed mid November. It took 9 weeks before I got any letter.

what's the webpage to check your status for your maryland application?

SaturdayDwarf said:
I hope this is good news. Has anyone gotten an interview since the committee came back from break?? And back to the original question, has anyone who was previous on hold gotten an interview at all??

About rejections, though - Has Maryland started rejecting people yet? I just assumed everyone who wasn't interviewed would remain on hold until the end of the interview season.

-sd

Well. To reply to my own post. Yes, they have certainly begun rejecting people. I got my letter today. Where is the sad, crying emoticon? :(

SaturdayDwarf said:
Well. To reply to my own post. Yes, they have certainly begun rejecting people. I got my letter today. Where is the sad, crying emoticon? :(

hey, at least you know they didn't single you out to personally send you a rejection today. That's what I thought until I read your post.

I got my lucky letter today as well.

Comrade said:
hey, at least you know they didn't single you out to personally send you a rejection today. That's what I thought until I read your post.

This is absolutely ridiculous....Maryland is treating their in-state applicants like ****. Comrade you have great stats, I cant believe you didnt even interview. What the hell are they doing....Im going to be so pissed when I get mine

....don't lose hope!

I just got an invitation to interview after being put on hold in December. I'm still in shock. :)

Good luck! :luck:

daisy458 said:
....don't lose hope!

I just got an invitation to interview after being put on hold in December. I'm still in shock. :)

Good luck! :luck:

how did it come? snail mail? e-maill? traveling monkey?

blackavar said:
how did it come? snail mail? e-maill? traveling monkey?

Email. This better not be a dream or a cruel joke.....

Comrade said:

No way!!! You are Hopkins Alumni and UMaryland loves Hopkins students, they offer around 20 acceptances yearly. Dr. Foxwell even gave a pre-med lecture at Hopkins recently. I'm stunned, you didn't even get an interview despite your great numbers, ECs, and your in-state residency. But why should you even consider Maryland over UMichigan (maybe that's why they rejected you, remember what Dr. Shoukas said during pre-med events that state schools may reject you if they think you are going to pass them).

I've been complete since mid-oct and I have yet to hear about an interview :( is there still a chance for an interview??? :scared: i went to school at hopkins as well but am applying as an out-of-stater... For those of you who were put on interview hold, how long were you complete before you heard about the hold and how long after the hold did you have to wait to get an interview??? Thanks! :oops:

Dr.Giggles said:
No way!!! You are Hopkins Alumni and UMaryland loves Hopkins students, they offer around 20 acceptances yearly. Dr. Foxwell even gave a pre-med lecture at Hopkins recently. I'm stunned, you didn't even get an interview despite your great numbers, ECs, and your in-state residency. But why should you even consider Maryland over UMichigan (maybe that's why they rejected you, remember what Dr. Shoukas said during pre-med events that state schools may reject you if they think you are going to pass them).

Well, I don't think state schools should assume that if someone gets into other schools that they'll automatically pass them up for the so-called 'better' institution. There are alot of compelling reasons to stay in-state, the most obvious one being the thousands of $$$ in tuition saved. It'd be nice to start working without having a tuition mortgage to pay off... right? The other one is moving, it's a pain, leaving family and friends... and not to mention, my gf is a UMaryland student... I really gave Maryland serious consideration, but the feelings aren't mutual it seems.

I applied 2 days before the deadline and just got an interview invite for early March. I think it kind of late in the game so I am not too optimistic about getting in, but I am going to the interview.

Cozmosis said:
I got in! Solution: complain on message boards!

Congrats!

Comrade said:
Well, I don't think state schools should assume that if someone gets into other schools that they'll automatically pass them up for the so-called 'better' institution. There are alot of compelling reasons to stay in-state, the most obvious one being the thousands of $$$ in tuition saved. It'd be nice to start working without having a tuition mortgage to pay off... right? The other one is moving, it's a pain, leaving family and friends... and not to mention, my gf is a UMaryland student... I really gave Maryland serious consideration, but the feelings aren't mutual it seems.

If you gave serious consideration, you should have heckle Maryland to give you an invite before your rejection, because if you are good enough to get an interview at Harvard, then you should get one at your own state school.

tweetledee said:
I've been complete since mid-oct and I have yet to hear about an interview :( is there still a chance for an interview??? :scared: i went to school at hopkins as well but am applying as an out-of-stater... For those of you who were put on interview hold, how long were you complete before you heard about the hold and how long after the hold did you have to wait to get an interview??? Thanks! :oops:

I have no idea about out-of-staters JHU alumni. A lot of JHU pre-meds take a year or two off and working, then they become Maryland residents since if you paid taxes, then you can claim residency. But, I do know of a friend who got an invite in December out-of-state.

anyone else still waiting to hear back from maryland (pre-interview)??? i received the 'on hold' email back in december, and have heard nothin' since then. i've sent some update letters/emails, but still no response. i'm really still hoping for an interview...