Interview @ NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!
I got my first interview invite from NYMC!

(I know it's late in the process, but it turns out that my first undergrad [CA] decided that I was enrolled while I was in NY and that I should get an F in Calculus...long story)

so anyways...a few questions...
1.) anyone else interviewing on march 31st?
2.) anyone have any other info than what's in the interview feedback?
3.) should I spend the night before with a med student?
4.) would it be better to go by train to grand central station (from saratoga springs/ albany, ny) and then back to white plains, or should I just take the bus?

thanks for any help you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

Staying with a medical student is the cheaper option, plus you get a feel for the school and the people -- which can be helpful for the interview, because sometimes they ask for what you do in your free time, and if you know what there is to do in the place, it helps.
Another thing is that you will get to your interview quicker, since most studnets tend to live really close to school.
So overall, it's a good idea. I never did it because I don't sleep very well, when I'm in someone else's house (but hey, some people go straight to dreamland regardless of where they are). If you chose to find a different accomodation, i'd recommend comming in a little early, walking around a bit, just to feel comfortable in your environment (although I've heard that some people get nervous doing that). I guess you have to figure out what works for you.
Good Luck! I'm definitely cheering you on.:clap:

CONGRATS!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree. You should stay with a student in Valhalla. Take the train from Manhattan- Grand Central directly to Valhalla. The interview day is pretty chill (only one interviewer), and the staff/dean of admissions are super friendly.
If you are staying with a student, take advantage of it. Ask them what their feelings are about the school: strength/weakness, new changes in curriculum/facilities, affiliated hospitals,...

You will be able to use all that during your interview when you have to answer why you want to come to NYMC.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by subtle1epiphany
2.) anyone have any other info than what's in the interview feedback?

What info would you like? Some of the comments posted on the feedback page are quite *****ic and misinformed

3.) should I spend the night before with a med student?

We have big tests on 4/1 and 4/2. While you can certainly choose to stay with a student, keep in mind that you will see a much higher stress level than on a usual day. Don't let that mislead you.

4.) would it be better to go by train to grand central station (from saratoga springs/ albany, ny) and then back to white plains, or should I just take the bus?

Driving would be ideal, but if you can't, take the bus to port authority/42nd street and take the shuttle (1 stop) to grand central

hey subtle...congrats bro....

just wanted to say i hope you rock your interview....:)

Originally posted by calflowergirl
... The interview day is pretty chill (only one interviewer), and the staff/dean of admissions are super friendly.

hmmm - i had 2 different interviews with 2 different MDs. I definitely agree though that it is a "pretty chill" experience. It was my first interview too and I felt very comfortable the entire time. Good luck!