interview offer question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizmo007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last week to EM and no interviews so far. My friend applied earlier this week and he already received one invite today. He's a Caribbean student, 230's on both steps, no SLOR's uploaded yet, and otherwise average student. I'm the same average student from the same school, except my step 1 score is 16 points higher (step 2 in October) and have one SLOR on ERAS with three more to come in the next month. If we both applied to the same program, why did he receive an invitation for an interview and I received nothing? On paper I actually would seem like a better candidate with a higher score and at least one letter available. Not to sound like I'm jealous or anything but, makes me wonder how the programs decide who gets an interview and who doesn't. I understand I could still be invited to this program on their next round of invitations. Does anyone actually know how the selection process works?

Members don't see this ad.

No one can answer your question, since each program works differently. We each can choose what criteria we want to use to choose candidates to interview. In the case you describe, I bet it's the fact that he has both steps done and you only have one. I don't consider carb grads without both step scores -- I have been disappointed in the past with interviewing candidates with only step 1, and then found out later that their step 2 score was low. I don't want to waste my time / interview slots.

No one can answer your question, since each program works differently. We each can choose what criteria we want to use to choose candidates to interview. In the case you describe, I bet it's the fact that he has both steps done and you only have one. I don't consider carb grads without both step scores -- I have been disappointed in the past with interviewing candidates with only step 1, and then found out later that their step 2 score was low. I don't want to waste my time / interview slots.

I know this question is program and specialty specific, but since you brought it up, I was wondering what you would consider low.

for example, I went from step 1 235/98 to step 2 223/96. Would this drop raise concern?

thanks for your insight.

I didn't know that step 2 was needed if we had >240 on step 1. So in my case will I still be considered for interview once my step 2 score is available next month, or does my application get rejected automatically because it is filtered based on step 2? I understand it's program specific but, in your experience do you place applications such as mine on hold till you receive a step 2 score or do you reject the application instantly if they don't have a step 2 score?

I know this question is program and specialty specific, but since you brought it up, I was wondering what you would consider low.

for example, I went from step 1 235/98 to step 2 223/96. Would this drop raise concern?

thanks for your insight.
Every program will have different cutoffs, and really it depends on what your application looks like compared with everyone else's. There is no way to know. Anything > 220 is a decent score, in my book.

I didn't know that step 2 was needed if we had >240 on step 1. So in my case will I still be considered for interview once my step 2 score is available next month, or does my application get rejected automatically because it is filtered based on step 2? I understand it's program specific but, in your experience do you place applications such as mine on hold till you receive a step 2 score or do you reject the application instantly if they don't have a step 2 score?
IMG's are best served by having both Steps available at the time of interview. US grads often only have Step 1 and do fine. Your app will stay in my pending bin, awaiting your Step 2 result (unless something else in your app is a "non-starter").

Every program will have different cutoffs, and really it depends on what your application looks like compared with everyone else's. There is no way to know. Anything > 220 is a decent score, in my book.

thank you very much. Have a great weekend.

IMG's are best served by having both Steps available at the time of interview. US grads often only have Step 1 and do fine. Your app will stay in my pending bin, awaiting your Step 2 result (unless something else in your app is a "non-starter").

I'll have my ck score available October 20th, which is before most interview dates. The problem is getting those interviews. I suppose until then I just have to hope that when my score is available there will still be interview spots open. Thanks for the info and answering our questions. By the way, what is your specialty?

I'll have my ck score available October 20th, which is before most interview dates. The problem is getting those interviews. I suppose until then I just have to hope that when my score is available there will still be interview spots open. Thanks for the info and answering our questions. By the way, what is your specialty?
Internal Medicine