Interview - other school interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dewzen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is mentioned in some other threads but why do interviewers ask what other schools you've applied to or interviewed at? Are they seeing how competitive other schools have found you or how competitive you may rank them with other schools? Does it matter in any way the response that you say? Do they check to make sure you're not lying?

Members don't see this ad.

i HATE this question. all my january interviewers asked me this - how many interviews and where? how many acceptances and where? i always answer honestly, and so far it hasn't hurt me, but talk about akward line of questioning!

it's like a first date asking you who else you have dated in the last couple of months (and how far you've gone with each one). :p

I got that at a couple of places and was very annoyed by it. I'd like to know why they ask that myself. I answered honestly, but I don't see them doing any verification on it. I was actually asked what my first choice was. I kinda dodged the question by saying that I wasn't done interviewing yet so I could not make that decision and then said the things about the school that I liked. I wasn't sure if that was the correct response but I'm going to my number one choice so I don't care anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
lulubean said:
it's like a first date asking you who else you have dated in the last couple of months (and how far you've gone with each one). :p

:laugh:

My date: So how many girls have you dated in the last couple months?
Me: You're the first one I've dated and truly interested in.

My date: How far have you gone with your other dates?
Me: Not as far as I will go with you- I will go into those blouses and right into your heart.

Am I coming on too strong? Is that why I haven't dated anyone for months? :(

sdnstud said:
:laugh:

My date: So how many girls have you dated in the last couple months?
Me: You're the first one I've dated and truly interested in.

My date: How far have you gone with your other dates?
Me: Not as far as I will go with you- I will go into those blouses and right into your heart.

Am I coming on too strong? Is that why I haven't dated anyone for months? :(

My date: So I know that there is this really great guy who lives in your homestate who you could potentially date. Why would you choose me since although I too am a great guy, I live far away and I like the woman to pay for everything? I mean, why would you shell out money to date me when you can date this guy who will not only split the bill with you but will also pay for everything sometimes?

Me: Can't we just make-out and put an end to these stupid questions?

I got this question too and I think its there to figure out how you chose the schools. That way they can see if you're taking a shotgun approach with them or if you've picked them for some reason.

Though, at the same time, they could just ask "how'd you choose the schools you applied to?"