This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsvm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would take a blazer with me and put it on inside, it will be air conditioned anyway. I think it is better to cover up to not irritate older woman in adcom

Reactions: 1 users
Take the blazer and just put it on as soon as you get into the building? Surely the AC will be on. They're not gonna let their employees bake.
If you go on a tour, I think it would be totally appropriate to take off your blazer and hang it on your arm if you're out for a long period of time. But if you're just walking from building to building, just keep it on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Blazer will make you look fly during the interview but take it off while outside is okay. :) Be confident and do well!

Reactions: 1 user
6bc49e1e7670e608cbeaa815e6eaeb05.png

Keep in mind: you're gonna spend your career wearing a white coat. :)

Every doctor I've ever worked with wears their coats. I do work for a corporate-owned clinic, so my experience could be different.
This is in the predental thread. I've never seen a dentist wear a white coat.

This is in the predental thread. I've never seen a dentist wear a white coat.
I have. And I think SenoritaKorea meant dentists (which are doctors anyway).

Although I do agree that scrubs are way more common than white coats.

Although I do agree that scrubs are way more common than white coats.
Scrubs, or business casual. Most dentists I have seen wear business casual.

Last edited:
Wear a blazer. You will be the only one without one, male or female, in your group and it just looks bad not to. Like others have said, carry it from your car to the building if you have to, but otherwise, suck it up and just wear it. You never know who you may encounter on the way to the interview :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Going back to OP's other question, is it okay to wear a dress with a blazer? What if I wore a black dress with a lighter colored blazer?

Going back to OP's other question, is it okay to wear a dress with a blazer? What if I wore a black dress with a lighter colored blazer?

I wouldn't unless it was part of a suit set. It's not considered as formal of business wear as a suit.
Belk
This would be ok
Dress-with-Blazer.png
This would not

Scrubs or business casual.

I've seen an orthodontist who just wore business casual around his patients (tie, collared shirt, dress pants), a male and female dentist who wore white coats, and a female dentist who I'm shadowing/working for now who just wears scrubs, so I guess it all varies depending on the individual and their preferences.

What about these two outfits? This is not me by the way. Just need some advice!
I think the first one looks fine, but I'm not sure about the second one. If you do a blazer and skirt, I think it's better if they're both the same color

I like the 2nd one but it's because I like darker colors lol. Wear the one that you look good in ;)

I think they both look fine. They're not going to nitpick at your outfit. As long as you look professional "enough", then you'll be fine. Both outfits look professional enough to me. I have seen people wear such outfits when I was interviewing.

The worst outfit I saw someone (it was a guy, but whatever) wear was black dress pants, black tennis-like shoes, a flannel shirt (that had small pills on it, by the way), with a visible black t-shirt underneath.
He didn't get accepted because I don't see him in my class.

Reactions: 2 users
Both of those look too casual to me

I agree!

I think they both look fine. They're not going to nitpick at your outfit. As long as you look professional "enough", then you'll be fine. Both outfits look professional enough to me. I have seen people wear such outfits when I was interviewing.

The worst outfit I saw someone (it was a guy, but whatever) wear was black dress pants, black tennis-like shoes, a flannel shirt (that had small pills on it, by the way), with a visible black t-shirt underneath.
He didn't get accepted because I don't see him in my class.

Yes, they will care about what you are wearing. Just because you saw people wearing such outfits doesn't make it right. Look, these interviews are the most important days in your life, do you REALLY want to chance your acceptance with something so easily fixed as wearing a proper suit to the interview. I wouldn't wear either of those above to the interview. The first gray one would be fine if the blazer was the same color. The second one just is not an interview outfit. Those would both be fine to wear in a corporate setting AFTER you get a job, for example but they are NOT something to wear to an interview of this caliber. Go buy a suit, not only will it come in handy for your interviews but you will use it for other events.

If you're going to wear a sheath dress, wear a matching blazer. If you're going to wear a skirt suit, it can't be fourteen different colors.

That's why I recommended reading the interview outfit help thread in pre-allo, it's more active than this thread and has lots of helpful examples

But what do I know anyway :D

I agree!

Yes, they will care about what you are wearing. Just because you saw people wearing such outfits doesn't make it right. Look, these interviews are the most important days in your life, do you REALLY want to chance your acceptance with something so easily fixed as wearing a proper suit to the interview. I wouldn't wear either of those above to the interview. The first gray one would be fine if the blazer was the same color. The second one just is not an interview outfit. Those would both be fine to wear in a corporate setting AFTER you get a job, for example but they are NOT something to wear to an interview of this caliber. Go buy a suit, not only will it come in handy for your interviews but you will use it for other events.
Will you get rejected purely for your outfit? Most likely not. Will a bad outfit (as mentioned in my example) give a negative first impression? Yes. Are those two outfits bad outfits? No.
This all comes down to personal preference. You wouldn't like those outfits, but if I were the interviewer and the interviewee walked in wearing either of those outfits, I wouldn't mind at all. If someone wearing the second outfit came in, yeah, I'd think the colors are a little mismatched, but I would certainly NOT think, "Oh, she didn't even bother matching her blazer to her skirt. She didn't care enough to go out and buy/find a new, matching suit for this interview. How unprofessional."
I do agree that a matching suit is the safest and best way to go, but neither of these outfits are interview killers either. You really think your chances are diminished if you wear a different colored blazer? I don't.

But whatever. What do I know? I'm not on the adcom, and I don't know what they will think.

Will you get rejected purely for your outfit? Most likely not. Will a bad outfit (as mentioned in my example) give a negative first impression? Yes. Are those two outfits bad outfits? No.
This all comes down to personal preference. You wouldn't like those outfits, but if I were the interviewer and the interviewee walked in wearing either of those outfits, I wouldn't mind at all. If someone wearing the second outfit came in, yeah, I'd think the colors are a little mismatched, but I would certainly NOT think, "Oh, she didn't even bother matching her blazer to her skirt. She didn't care enough to go out and buy/find a new, matching suit for this interview. How unprofessional."
I do agree that a matching suit is the safest and best way to go, but neither of these outfits are interview killers either. You really think your chances are diminished if you wear a different colored blazer? I don't.

But whatever. What do I know? I'm not on the adcom, and I don't know what they will think.

Yes, you could very well get rejected for not dressing appropriately and that is the point you are missing. If you can't take the time to put together a professional level interview outfit, what else are you going to be "lazy" about in their minds? Yes, those outfits look fine, are cute, blah, blah, but they are NOT appropriate for a professional level interview, period. Your interview is 100% how you present yourself and your first impression will be what you are wearing. Again, this is THE most important day of your life....just keep that in mind.

Yes, you could very well get rejected for not dressing appropriately and that is the point you are missing. If you can't take the time to put together a professional level interview outfit, what else are you going to be "lazy" about in their minds? Yes, those outfits look fine, are cute, blah, blah, but they are NOT appropriate for a professional level interview, period. Your interview is 100% how you present yourself and your first impression will be what you are wearing. Again, this is THE most important day of your life....just keep that in mind.

Look, a pretty outfit that isn't the norm may look great on you and make you feel wonderful, but if there's something on your app that isn't the greatest or you mess up an interview question or one of a zillion other scenarios occur, you become THAT applicant with the mismatched summery sheath dress/blazer combo who also had XYZ wrong with them.

It can obviously go both ways but why bother hedging your bets? Your interview is not the day to make a fashion statement.

I interact with plenty of applicants, and this is the same advice I give them.

Again, this is THE most important day of your life....just keep that in mind.

I don't have anything to contribute here except to say that if it turns out that a dental school interview day was the most important day of my life, I will be very disappointed.

I don't have anything to contribute here except to say that if it turns out that a dental school interview day was the most important day of my life, I will be very disappointed.

Up until those interview days it probably will be. Those days will determine the course of the rest of your life. Sure, getting married, having children, etc. will all surpass that, but if you don't nail your interviews and get into dental school, what is plan B?

Every doctor I've ever worked with wears their coats. I do work for a corporate-owned clinic, so my experience could be different.

In my area, I see dentists wearing scrubs only or a polo (with the name of their practice on it) with khakis. I guess it varies!

I am not missing the point. I think you should reread my post again.
We obviously have different opinions and I'm obviously not going to change your mind, or fancymylotus'.
If someone walked in with either of those outfits, I would not write in my notes or keep in my mind, "Applicant wore a mismatched blazer. Could be lazy about other things." You obviously would. Let's just leave it at that.

I am not missing the point. I think you should reread my post again.
We obviously have different opinions and I'm obviously not going to change your mind, or fancymylotus'.
If someone walked in with either of those outfits, I would not write in my notes or keep in my mind, "Applicant wore a mismatched blazer. Could be lazy about other things." You obviously would. Let's just leave it at that.

You are clearly missing the point.

@Winged Scapula can you help plz?

You are clearly missing the point.

Care to explain?

I said in a previous post that a bad outfit alone will "most likely not" cause a rejection, but that does not mean it can't. Someone walking in with flip flops and sweats can obviously be rejected for their attire. A mismatched blazer is not on that same level.

ajj70: "Yes, you could very well get rejected for not dressing appropriately and that is the point you are missing. If you can't take the time to put together a professional level interview outfit, what else are you going to be "lazy" about in their minds?"
So would an otherwise fine applicant wearing a mismatched blazer would be rejected? Or, going to your example, an applicant with XYZ problems + mismatched blazer will more likely be rejected because of XYZ than because of the mismatched blazer. I will agree to a point and say that two applicants with the "same everything else", with only a mismatched blazer separating them will tip the scales, but there is no such thing as two "same" applicants.
Unless there is a survey of all adcom members across the nation on whether these outfits will leave a lasting negative impression, this conversation won't die.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Care to explain?

I said in a previous post that a bad outfit alone will "most likely not" cause a rejection, but that does not mean it can't. Someone walking in with flip flops and sweats can obviously be rejected for their attire. A mismatched blazer is not on that same level.

ajj70: "Yes, you could very well get rejected for not dressing appropriately and that is the point you are missing. If you can't take the time to put together a professional level interview outfit, what else are you going to be "lazy" about in their minds?"
So would an otherwise fine applicant wearing a mismatched blazer would be rejected? Or, going to your example, an applicant with XYZ problems + mismatched blazer will more likely be rejected because of XYZ than because of the mismatched blazer. I will agree to a point and say that two applicants with the "same everything else", with only a mismatched blazer separating them will tip the scales, but there is no such thing as two "same" applicants.
Unless there is a survey of all adcom members across the nation on whether these outfits will leave a lasting negative impression, this conversation won't die.
They do not just put their impression on a paper, they give you points. You will definitely get points for professionalism, tasteless or sloppy outfit - any sort of departure from some older conservative professor standard- will result in less points. Even one of those may mean a lot.
I actually knew a person, who came to the interview in a pink figure hugging suit with a bush of unruly curly hair. I thought she was crazy. She was accepted

They do not just put their impression on a paper, they give you points. You will definitely get points for professionalism, tasteless or sloppy outfit - any sort of departure from some older conservative professor standard- will result in less points. Even one of those may mean a lot.
I actually knew a person, who came to the interview in a pink figure hugging suit with a bush of unruly curly hair. I thought she was crazy. She was accepted

That's interesting.

Care to explain?

The point is, it's not your decision or opinion on your outfit that counts, it is the admissions committee that matters. The outfit you are referencing would be the equivalent of a man walking into the interview with tan pants, navy blazer and a white shirt without a tie. That is not appropriate for an interview, neither are the outfits you are referencing. Feel free to wear whatever you want, however, don't be complaining when you don't get accepted. No survey needed. There are generally accepted dress codes for interviews such as these and a SUIT is required if you want to look professional. A mismatched blazer or a printed skirt and top are NOT professional interview dress clothes. It's as simple as that.

What's your opinion of a sheath dress with a different colored blazer? Like, if I have a beige sheath dress, is it ok for a black blazer, or is a beige blazer also necessary? I understand the matching suit, but not sure of the protocol with sheath dresses. :rolleyes:

Suit jacket, matching sheath dress, not linen or those summery cotton blends. Charcoal, navy, black.

Thong or no thong?

Granny panties or tight boy shorts?

Hmmmmm,

Decisions .....

Why is life so hard?

What's your opinion of a sheath dress with a different colored blazer? Like, if I have a beige sheath dress, is it ok for a black blazer, or is a beige blazer also necessary? I understand the matching suit, but not sure of the protocol with sheath dresses. :rolleyes:

We talked about this above, they need to be the same so they look like a suit, but really, buy a new suit!

Hey gals! Just wondering about your thoughts on these shoes...the gold tip is what I'm concerned about...I was wondering if it would be a huge no no. These shoes are also slingback...but is it okay since I'm wearing pants? You can't tell they're slingback even when I'm sitting...
Also, is the length of my pants ok?
Cause I've heard of people bringing flats for the tour and then just putting on heels for the interview...but i was wondering how you would work with the length of your pants with heels vs flats. I feel like if you go from heels to flats, your pants would drag? And if you're going from flats to heels, I feel like then your pants would be too short?

Im just asking because these shoes are incredibly comfortable for me and I don't want to give up on them just yet...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 2.06.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 2.06.28 PM.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 78
Hey gals! Just wondering about your thoughts on these shoes...the gold tip is what I'm concerned about...I was wondering if it would be a huge no no. These shoes are also slingback...but is it okay since I'm wearing pants? You can't tell they're slingback even when I'm sitting...
Also, is the length of my pants ok?
Cause I've heard of people bringing flats for the tour and then just putting on heels for the interview...but i was wondering how you would work with the length of your pants with heels vs flats. I feel like if you go from heels to flats, your pants would drag? And if you're going from flats to heels, I feel like then your pants would be too short?

Im just asking because these shoes are incredibly comfortable for me and I don't want to give up on them just yet...
Pants are too long, the heel is too high. If you still decide to wear them just cover tips with black tape and hem the pant to the point where the heel starts

The point is, it's not your decision or opinion on your outfit that counts, it is the admissions committee that matters. The outfit you are referencing would be the equivalent of a man walking into the interview with tan pants, navy blazer and a white shirt without a tie. That is not appropriate for an interview, neither are the outfits you are referencing. Feel free to wear whatever you want, however, don't be complaining when you don't get accepted. No survey needed. There are generally accepted dress codes for interviews such as these and a SUIT is required if you want to look professional. A mismatched blazer or a printed skirt and top are NOT professional interview dress clothes. It's as simple as that.

The male equivalent to a female wearing a mismatched blazer is a male wearing a mismatched blazer. The female equivalent to your example is that she wears a mini skirt, mismatched blazer, with an excessively large necklace or low cut shirt.

You keep repeating the same thing. Fine, I get it. You don't like those two outfits and you think they're inappropriate. If you become an adcom one day, feel free to give her negative points for dressing inappropriately because she wore a blazer that was a different color than her skirt. I have already said that a matching suit is the most ideal outfit, but that a mismatched blazer does not kill your interview or chances. An otherwise fine applicant, with great stats, great EC's, all that jazz, is not going to be rejected for a mismatched blazer (this is where I'm getting my "if the outfit is professional 'enough'" line). An applicant with problems XYZ will more likely be rejected for problems XYZ than for wearing a mismatched blazer. Oralcare123's pink suit example is a great illustration. That should be worse than a mismatched blazer, but did that prevent an acceptance? Clearly not.

You also keep saying "you" in your comments. I don't know if you're directing those comments at me ("wear whatever you want, but don't complain when you get rejected", "the interview day is the most important day of your life") or the general public. I've already been accepted to some schools (and rejected), and I wore a matching suit. However, on my interview trail, I have seen females wear blazers that did not match their dress. When I interviewed for my school, I recall two that wore such outfits. One is in my class, one is not. You can start saying, "Just because she was accepted does not make the outfit right," as you have said before. I never said the outfit was right/ideal. My point was one that I have said many times over and over again - something like a mismatched blazer is not going to kill your interview. Bad communication skills, bad answers, and a bad personality will.
(I agree with you and say that a printed top and bottom are no no's, but that is not what we are discussing here).

Feel free to respond to this comment, but I have no desire to keep arguing about this. You've made your opinion/point loud and clear, and so have I. We are not going to change each others' minds. You can pull out your inner "fashion police" and wear the proper attire to an interview, and I'm sure you'll do fine while wearing it. Good luck with your interviews if and when you get to them!

The male equivalent to a female wearing a mismatched blazer is a male wearing a mismatched blazer. The female equivalent to your example is that she wears a mini skirt, mismatched blazer, with an excessively large necklace or low cut shirt.

You keep repeating the same thing. Fine, I get it. You don't like those two outfits and you think they're inappropriate. If you become an adcom one day, feel free to give her negative points for dressing inappropriately because she wore a blazer that was a different color than her skirt. I have already said that a matching suit is the most ideal outfit, but that a mismatched blazer does not kill your interview or chances. An otherwise fine applicant, with great stats, great EC's, all that jazz, is not going to be rejected for a mismatched blazer (this is where I'm getting my "if the outfit is professional 'enough'" line). An applicant with problems XYZ will more likely be rejected for problems XYZ than for wearing a mismatched blazer. Oralcare123's pink suit example is a great illustration. That should be worse than a mismatched blazer, but did that prevent an acceptance? Clearly not.

You also keep saying "you" in your comments. I don't know if you're directing those comments at me ("wear whatever you want, but don't complain when you get rejected", "the interview day is the most important day of your life") or the general public. I've already been accepted to some schools (and rejected), and I wore a matching suit. However, on my interview trail, I have seen females wear blazers that did not match their dress. When I interviewed for my school, I recall two that wore such outfits. One is in my class, one is not. You can start saying, "Just because she was accepted does not make the outfit right," as you have said before. I never said the outfit was right/ideal. My point was one that I have said many times over and over again - something like a mismatched blazer is not going to kill your interview. Bad communication skills, bad answers, and a bad personality will.
(I agree with you and say that a printed top and bottom are no no's, but that is not what we are discussing here).

Feel free to respond to this comment, but I have no desire to keep arguing about this. You've made your opinion/point loud and clear, and so have I. We are not going to change each others' minds. You can pull out your inner "fashion police" and wear the proper attire to an interview, and I'm sure you'll do fine while wearing it. Good luck with your interviews if and when you get to them!
I think you are overreacting a bit. Well dressed person gives better impression and interview is all about good impression. Like I said one point might matter, if you are competing with similar stats candidates. Why risk it?