Interview Preparation for NYCOM and UMDNJ-SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Car23

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
This is such a great resource for students to communicate and relieve some stress. Now to my question, next week I have interviews with NYCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. What can I expect? What type of questions- strengths/weakness, interest in medicine? Was there an essay for NYCOM?

Did anyone stay over in NJ? I am nervous about traffic coming from NY metropolitan area. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

car 23,

What day is your interview at NYCOM? I also have an interview next week. I am from long island and I am going to give myself over an hour to get there because of traffic. I heard that there is a question on the secondary application that asks why NYCOM? I think that is the only essay type question. Also, people said to bring a CV because you will need it to fill out the application. Where will you be coming from?

Kim.
I will be coming from the South Shore. So I will leave about an hour too for NYCOM. I am just somewhat concerned about the NJ trip.
I will be there on Weds. and you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will also be there on Wed. :) I am sorry that I can't help you with the NJ trip. I would think that if you are going from NY to NJ you will be moving in the opposite direction of traffic.

Good luck to the both of you! I am attending NYCOM in the fall. Car 23, give yourself plenty of time to get to UMDNJ. I drive from Long Island to NJ everyday and even though it is against traffic, there is still some congestion/traffic.

car23,
The drive from long island to umdnj-som (stratford) will be very long considering the traffic. I say about 3.5-4 hours. I live in northern NJ and the school is 2.5-3 hours away with minimal traffic.

Hi Car23,
My UMDNJSOM interview was very relaxed. I prepared for it by reading two books: "The D.O.'s" by Norman Gevitz and "Osteopathic Medicine: a Reformation in Progress" by Gallagher. Make sure you know exactly why you want to be an osteopathic physician so that your interviewer is truly convinced that you understand the philosophy. You will probably have a student interviewer along with a faculty member. The interview shouldn't last any more than 20 minutes b/c they will probably have to interview a number of students that day. Also, come prepared to ask questions so that you can extend the interview at least 10 additional minutes. The most important thing is to be yourself!!!! I hope this helps.

Car23-

The SOM inteview is _extrememly_ relaxed and friendly. And short- I was in there for about 20-25 minutes at the most. The other two students who interviewed that day (both of whom are now my classmates) and I all walked out of the interview mumbling "They're so nice...."

Expect mainly "getting-to-know-you" type questions- I was asked about college, health care experience, and a bit about myself. As Community mentioned, know why you want to be an osteopathic physician. I suppose it couldn't hurt to read Dr. Gallagher's book. :)

Know a bit about the school, if possible, and (again as Community said), ask questions! I made sure that I had a few school-specific questions to ask. This shows that you are interested in SOM and not med school in general. (Which is, of course, often a polite fiction... but it's still a good idea.)

Also, leave early. I have made it from Manhattan down to Stratford in 1:15... but it was 2pm, there was no traffic, and my father (who is insane) was driving. You'll be going against traffic, but don't trust it- all of NJ is crazy in the morning. If you want to consider taking the train (which most people don't- including myself :) ), the train station is very close to the school.

Good luck!

Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

Thanks for everyone's responses. I did look through Dr. Gallagher's book and the DO book. I also visited with a DO. The idea of structure and function, treating the whole person, and preventive medicine all are intriguing factors to osteopathy. Is that was everyone was getting at regarding knowing osteopathy?
I may just stay over if the traffic sounds as bad as everyone says.
Thanks