Interview Question: How would your friends describe you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RomanCandle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of questions along the lines of, "How would your friends (fraternity brothers, family, etc.) describe you?" at interviews recently. Usually I just say things like "funny", "studious", "trustworthy", etc. but I'm starting to wonder if there is a better answer to questions like these. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I always say dependable... If they need my help with anything, they know that I will always be there. I am the same way at work and in all parts of my life.

I am also freakishly organized. :D My friends admire this...

What makes you friends with your best friends? What qualities do they hold important in you? I don't think you make a meaningful relationship based on humor/entertainment alone, so ask yourself what is the foundation of your friendship? If it's because you're trustworthy/loyal, go into examples of why that is, if it's a shared moral philosophy, talk about that. I don't know exactly what an interviewer would want, so I can only give what I would want in an answer to that question, but I would guess it would be more than a list of simple verbs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've answered exactly what my friends have actually told me: funny, smart, and since at the time I had great rapport going with my student interviewer, I also joked about how my mom mistakes unorthodox organization (read: all my belongings on the floor) for being messy.

Think about your good friends and the traits they possess, and see which ones you have as well. You can also think of recent anecdotes that demonstrate this, but keep the answer brief unless they ask for examples.

I hate that question. I just see it as a spin on the "tell me about yourself" question. I guess I just don't like selling myself.

I got the "What do you think your coworkers would say about you if asked?" I said, "Hopefully the same things they'd say to my face." We laughed, then I went through the usual "dependable, helpful..."

This is a great time to throw a personal story in. Don't just say "smart" or "dependable" (unless the interviewer specifically says "name three things"). add a story to back it up.