Interview question: "What would you do if you do not get in this year?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chance8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've just returned from an interview where they asked me, "what would you do if you don't get into dental school this year?"

Given my poor undergraduate GPA, does this imply rejection? Also, I tried to look at the interviewer afterward but he tried to avoid my eyes...is this another clue?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I've just returned from an interview where they asked me, "what would you do if you don't get into dental school this year?"

Given my poor undergraduate GPA, does this imply rejection? Also, I tried to look at the interviewer afterward but he tried to avoid my eyes...is this another clue?

It's a normal question that's asked to all students. They wanna hear some determination from your answers. If your marks are lacking, then say you will take courses to improve your GPA. If your ECs are lacking, say that you have volunteering positions in place. If your shadowing hours are lacking, say you'll shadow more hours. etc.

Just make sure to let them know that you have one goal, and that goal is to become a dentist, and you'll take that year off to improve on all facets of your application.

BTW, the average age of a matriculated dental student is 25. So most people do not get in on their first try.

they want to know how you react to adversity and how badly you want to be in this profession.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

No its not a clue for rejection... its a common question they ask to many people (yes even those with strong stats)

The correct (and obvious) answer is "Get in touch with your admission office, find out what was wrong, and work on my weaknesses for next cycle"

No its not a clue for rejection... its a common question they ask to many people (yes even those with strong stats)

The correct (and obvious) answer is "Get in touch with your admission office, find out what was wrong, and work on my weaknesses for next cycle"

Yep... been asked that in about 3 of my interviews.

You reply: ''What kool-aid are you drinking? Because I want some."

Hi Everyone!

like stated before it is a common question asked but
you can work on the weaknesses you had lets say your gpa wasnt hot take some classes, not enough shadowing look for a job dental related or do a one year maters program to show you can handle a higher education level work

good luck i wish you the best:xf:

Hi Everyone!

So what was your response?

"Well, I would definitely be upset. But I think not getting accepted this first time around would make me try much harder to get in. I would continue taking classes the following year, improving myself as well as my application. I can't be a full time student, falling deeper into debt forever, so I would probably eventually start working. Maybe even try to get a teaching job to stay fresh on the sciences. But you can definitely count on receiving an application from me every year until I get to where I want to be."

My response would probably be something along those lines. As I've already thought about what I'm going to do if I don't get accepted my first year. I would keep applying until I do get in!