Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcernak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: how do admissions councils handle students who are not in the United States for interviews? There is a possibility that I will be at Oxford while I apply medical school. Is this going to be a problem with my interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that may indeed be a problem if you cannot travel back to the US to attend interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of some schools arranging phone interviews for extenuating circumstances. However, I think you will find thats the exception and not the rule. At the majority of places that is going to be a problem, and unless you can afford to fly back for interviews (I have met a few people on the interview trail who did this), you may want to wait another cycle.

I know a girl who was doing AIDS-related research in Africa while applying. She scheduled all of her interviews for December, which involved pretty persistent phoning of admissions offices for every school she applied to. Then she took about a month's vacation to interview and then went back. If you're willing to do that you can probably pull it off.

kcernak said:
I have a question: how do admissions councils handle students who are not in the United States for interviews? There is a possibility that I will be at Oxford while I apply medical school. Is this going to be a problem with my interviews?

You should plan on coming back to the US once or twice for interviews.... like make a trip back here for a week in December or January. Let all the schools know these dates in advance, so that if they want to interview you, they can schedule you for these particular days.