Interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spelbo420

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, as I have just discovered the wonderful world of the student doctor network pre-med forum! I have an average MCAT (24Q), and have been offered an interview at a top 30 school about 3 days after my secondary was sent off. I have reckoned that the school only had a small portion of my secondary when they offered me the interview, so I am unsure of how I should react to this. I have pretty strong non-MCAT credentials on my application, but as I said before, the quickness of the interview offer is a mystery to me. I have been told that a quick interview offer, as well as an interview fairly early in the interview process (Oct. 31) are very good signs of high interest. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

a 24Q MCAT might be the average, but it's NOT the average for those accepted. To be competitive, people generally shoot for a 30.

Does either an earlier interview, or a shorter time between secondary sent and interview requested give an indication about the medschool's level of interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Spelbo420
Does either an earlier interview, or a shorter time between secondary sent and interview requested give an indication about the medschool's level of interest?

I have no idea. Sorry. You could always just ask the admissions director.

Originally posted by Spelbo420

i think early interviews tend to be a good thing. just prep for it and hope for the best!

Hey Spelbo420,
This is my first posting too! Woohoo! Ok i just came back from the library so right now anything other than looking at molec bio would be exciting to me. Anyway, 'nuff with the chit-chat. As I understand it (I learned this firsthand from admissions officers at Yale this summer), med schools do not offer interviews casually as this would be a waste of their interviewers' precious time. So first they screen the applicant's primary and secondary, and if their stats look good, they offer the applicant an interview. This is the part where they find out who the applicant really is, i.e. if the applicant is a dud who just looks good on paper, if the applicant has the potential to suceed in their school, etc, etc. My point is, getting an invitation means youve made the first cut! Dont take the invitation lightly - theyre really interested in you. Now its your time to shine beyond just the numbers and letters. Having said all that, my input is just based on Yale's protocol, so it may not apply to all schools. But it does make sense, no? Dont let your avg MCAT score downgrade your expectations. Im sure everything else on your app looks great if you received an invitation from a top 30 school. Congrats and best of luck! :clap:

Get ready to get grilled and asked about your Mcat score at the interview. A 24 is not average, its below average. A 27 is average for matriculated students.

actually a 29 is average for matriculated. 24 is average for all test takers.

I would interpret it as a good sign. I mean, is there any reason to interpret it as a bad sign? There's nothing you can do about the MCAT score at this point so don't worry about it. You have a shot at a top-30 school, so make the most of it by being well-prepared for the interview. By the way, what school is it at?

If they offered you an interview that usually means that you qualify on paper and now they want to know what kind of person you are. Go in thereconfident and they might ask you about the MCAT score. If they do just tell them that you gave it your all and that is the score you received. You qualify on paper so be happy about that, now you have to have a great interview. I believe a person's overall personality and passion for being a physician are more important than numbers. Some people are just not good test takers but are very qualified to become physicians. Don't worry if others tell you your MCAT is low. It might be lower than the average for matriculants, but hey you got an interview and that is half the battle in gaining an acceptance.:cool:

that's right. the interview is a chance to show your human side. that can sometimes count more than anything else.

Originally posted by aquaboy
If they offered you an interview that usually means that you qualify on paper and now they want to know what kind of person you are. Go in thereconfident and they might ask you about the MCAT score. If they do just tell them that you gave it your all and that is the score you received. You qualify on paper so be happy about that, now you have to have a great interview. I believe a person's overall personality and passion for being a physician are more important than numbers. Some people are just not good test takers but are very qualified to become physicians. Don't worry if others tell you your MCAT is low. It might be lower than the average for matriculants, but hey you got an interview and that is half the battle in gaining an acceptance.:cool:

Originally posted by immediatespring
and where did u get this statistic?

are you asking about my numbers? or the quote?

i guess the correct quote is this:

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)