Interview questions about current healthcare events?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texas aggie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sad to say I don't keep up with the news and have no idea what's going on in the world of medicine (terrible, I know).

I have 3 interviews in August and need to get on track since many schools questions ask about current healthcare events, future of healthcare, problems in healthcare, etc. Where do you guys reccomend I get this information from? Googling random keywords seems pointless.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sad to say I don't keep up with the news and have no idea what's going on in the world of medicine (terrible, I know).

I have 3 interviews in August and need to get on track since many schools questions ask about current healthcare events, future of healthcare, problems in healthcare, etc. Where do you guys reccomend I get this information from? Googling random keywords seems pointless.

Read the health articles in the nytmes, the atlantic, and npr. All have sections devoted entirely to health news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was/am like you. I tried reading info from some of the above sources. I learned some but, it still didn't make that much sense. What worked best for me was youtube. Search things like intro to health care, affordable care act explained, etc. I learned so much that way. Also, a major interview question topic is challenges in health care. A great movie to watch for that is Escape Fire.

I am a person who generally likes reading things to learn, but for topics I don't find interesting, videos is the way to go. Good luck!

I was/am like you. I tried reading info from some of the above sources. I learned some but, it still didn't make that much sense. What worked best for me was youtube. Search things like intro to health care, affordable care act explained, etc. I learned so much that way. Also, a major interview question topic is challenges in health care. A great movie to watch for that is Escape Fire.

I am a person who generally likes reading things to learn, but for topics I don't find interesting, videos is the way to go. Good luck!

:thumbup:

Also, if you want to try and digest these problems as a hobby I recommend gained some fundamental ground on economics and public policy.

Econ:
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Von Hayek

Health Policy:
Why the U.S. Had No National Health Insurance by Jill Quadrango
The Social Transformation of American Medicine by Paul Starr

are all good books with different political viewpoints! I warn you though, you're going to have to want to do this because
you like learning about these things, not because you want a primer for interviews. Smith's book especially is a dinosaur of a read (very long-winded and archaic in structure) so it's often best to find a review of it. The stuff John Quincy posted was sufficient as a primer if you add NEJM/JAMA/WSJ to it. More than gaining ideas, the big thing NEJM will do is get you to understand the big issues and jargon in the field. Don't expect to have a clean opinion come interview time.

Last edited: