Interview Questions for the acute care hospital setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kleighhoot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently passed my boards and have begun applying for jobs! (YAY)

I am really interested in the acute care setting, loved my acute affil and actually received an email from one of the hospitals I applied at that they would like me to come in for an interview.

I have been doing some research because I want to be extremely prepared for this and any other interview.

I was wondering if anyone who either works in this setting or has interviewed in this setting could give me some examples of the types of interview questions you were asked, especially weird/difficult ones.

Also what questions do you think are important for the interviewee (me) to ask? (Such as how will I know I am productive? When would I be expected to take on a student? Do you reimburse for continuing education? etc)

Thank you for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, the biggest role for a PT in the acute care setting is making appropriate referrals for the next level of care. That is a question I always asked prospective employees, as well as something I focused on with students as a CI. The Smith et al. article in PTJ shows PT recommendations post discharge results in fewer readmission, so there is decent evidence behind out clinical decision making. So I would be prepared to talk about post-discharge recommendations. I would also be ready to discuss triaging appropriate patients for PT, and what the role Nursing takes on with 'higher level' patients so PTs are not 'walking patients.'

Reactions: 1 user