Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperMatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are asked "tell me about yourself" should you provide a little background on your life and then answer "why medicine?". I just thought that your reasons for pursuing medical school probably make a large chunk of yourself.
Also if you're interviewing at your number one choice school should you tell them that in the interview (if provided the opportunity)?

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll answer the second part - definitely tell a school if they're your top choice & why.

This is the question asked by an interviewer who wants to use the information that you provide to develop further questions. So, put the emphasis on what you want to talk about. You might mention your home state or city, particularly if it is close by, your undergrad school and major, your post-bac or graduate institution and major (if applicable), your full time employment (if you've been out of school for more than a few months)something about your volunteer and/or research activities and something that you do for fun. If there is something that makes you "unusual" then mention that, too. The last thing that you mention should be what you'd most like to discuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't answer why you want to do medicine, they'll probe about it later. Show them you are a real person that does more than the usual eating, studying and sleeping that all other pre-meds do.

Don't answer why you want to do medicine, they'll probe about it later. Show them you are a real person that does more than the usual eating, studying and sleeping that all other pre-meds do.
Aw, they do more than eat, study, sleep. They while away their time on SDN, too.