interview @ross

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by dknykid1980, Feb 22, 2002.

1. dknykid1980

dknykid1980 Senior Member

Hey all

I just interviewed at Ross. It seems like an awesome school regardless of what ppl say. I looked at this brochure that was just printed and believe it or not the cum GPA of ross entrants are 3.3. I currently attend a very good private school in the midwest (Loyola) and as far as I know that's a relatively good GPA for a med school. U.S. schools' mean GPA for admissions are like 3.5, and a lot of schools have entrance gpAs of less than that (around 3.2-3.3 like finch, and southern state ones). So regardless I think ross rocks! I just hope I get in.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Have you been to Dominica in person? You may think differently about the place after spending some time there. Best of luck @ Ross.

Atlas

P.S. When did their GPA hit an avg. of 3.3? I thought it was around 3.1 with a range of 2.8-3.4. At least that's the info I have received from the school.

4. dknykid1980

dknykid1980 Senior Member

Well all i know is that i went to their school this past weekend. well actually I went to their office, and they had massively produced brochures which indicated that their GPA was a 3.3 (granted this is overall GPA score...the science was a 3.2). Nevertheless, these numbers have greatly increased throughout the years. Also may I add the thread about how transfer students from the Caribean will increase in number. Thus, one can clearly see that the difficulty of the admissions process abroad is gradually increasing so that they will be recognized by US standards.

Bottom line. Med school is med school.

peace

5. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Med school is med school indeed. I recommend that if you can, PLEASE go visit the campus in Dominica and determine if you handle living there. From what I understand, it's the most "natural" of the caribbean islands and is a difficult place to live for many Americans. Granted, many before you have made it through living there just fine. But, Dominica is not for everyone. You also should see the campus firsthand. From what I understand, they are making improvements, but they still base all of their basic sciences in those white trailer buildings. Did you apply to SGU or AUC? They have outstanding campuses with much better living conditions. One thing Ross reps don't tell you is how difficult it is to live there. They don't want to scare you away because they want your money. Bottom line.
    The GPA they boast is also misleading. Sure, the average is 3.3 or whatever. But, as you know, you don't need a 3.3 to get in. I know one guy that graduated college with a 2.3 overall, went to Ross, and is now a resident. Ain't that some sh#t!! So, obviously, the school works, but the success of the students has little to do with the school and more to do with how hard they work. I think they inflate their GPA a little to make themselves more competitive, not with US schools, but with St. George's...their premier competition. We all know that MANY (not all) of the students that go to foreign schools are there because they couldn't get into school in the US. So, they obviously aren't fighting for students with US schools, but rather other caribbean establishments. The difficulty level of admissions to caribbean schools fluctuates with US admissions. If the applications are down at US school (like this year), applications will be down at Caribbean schools, and they'll be easier to get into. You see, admission at Ross, AUC, etc. are basically based on enrollment numbers, although Ross is trying to "toughen" their image by being more selective. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm harping on your school. You'll more than likely get into Ross and it'll get you where you want to go in life. I highly recommend that you visit the Dominica campus before you spend big bucks however. If I could offer you any additional advice, it would be to study hard down there, tolerate any BS thrown your way (there will be plenty of it), and ignore the rumors. Do that and you'll survive. Good luck.

6. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    I agree with Atlas....go see the campus please or talk to the students there.

I applied to Ross and got in back in 1999 but I never accepted the offer. I decided to pursue the moronic Adcoms in US schools one last time. I am still waiting.
    Anyway one of my good friends is from Dominica....it's very rural. I was born and raised in Nigeria where electricity and running water is a privelege and there are animals running the streets (by animals I refer to livestock....not lions) so Dominica is nothing new to me.

But if you are accustomed to the groovy american lifestyle...then you have to brace yourself....that's what my interviewer told me.