staffcat

2+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2015
Should your answers to interview questions match what you wrote in your PS perfectly? Is there room for some additional stuff that was not mentioned in the PS?

BurghMed

Shaka Bra!
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Should your answers to interview questions match what you wrote in your PS perfectly? Is there room for some additional stuff that was not mentioned in the PS?

Not sure what you mean by "match perfectly." If you mean just memorize parts of your PS and repeat it, then no, not at all. Just be able to recall what you wrote in your PS, as well as what is in your AMCAS so that you can hold a conversation with someone who asks some basic questions about your past experiences. Do not make yourself sound robotic or super scripted. Just be able to hold a reasonable discussion with someone. Physicians/Residents/Medical students are normal people too.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I don't think the point of the interview is to be so formulaic. Just speak like a normal human being and you'll be fine.
That assumes premeds are normal human beings. Just take a breath and focus on answering the question asked with your mind being cluttered with what you said in the PS, or the secondary, or what you think an adcom wants to hear, or some vague thought on saying something that you have an irrational idea may sway the interviewer. Just put brain in gear before engaging mouth. If you get a question you dont know or haven't thought about previously, then say I haven't thought about it previously and think it thru with something like "well on first thought..." Don't try to figure out where the interviewer is going, whether he/she is giving you an opposing view because that is what they think or setting you up in a confrontational question. Just answer it. If they give you a different view that you think really seems better, then say so. If you think something else then say so.

It short be a human, which of course is at odds with odd psychological makeup of a premed.

gannicus89

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Don't recite your PS lol. One of my interviewers commented on my PS so I knew that that information was read and that I could go into other things, so as to not rehash the same topics. Feel free to talk about your other interests, or other reasons for going into medicine aside from what you've written. I think it's important to NOT contradict what you've already written though...