interview status (EM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccergirl1234u

Reaction score
about how many interviews should we be sitting on right now , and when should we start freaking out about not having enough lol

I applied pickily to only major cities (NYC, chicago, miami, LA) and I got 3 interviews from them. Already completed 2 interviews at my sub-i's, so I have 5 total now. My stats are 244/254 and no red flags, 2 sloe's and 2 OSLOEs.

I realized that this year is much different with covid so i sent out a bunch of apps later in the game, and i'm scared they wont even be looked at since it's too late.

this whole process is freaking stressful and just wanted to see where everyone else is at.

Members don't see this ad.

Just look at the EM spreadsheet. Seems like people are all over the place with how many interview invites they have. I would say it sounds like you applied to fairly competitive areas so that is why you are only sitting at 3. EM is weird though lots of people with stellar boards like yours who get jack sh** because of bad SLOES. My guess is your SLOE's are fine with 3 interviews from those areas and you are likely to end up with 12+ if you added in some less competitive areas.

Reactions: 1 user
It could be where OP is applying. Or it could be that having 2 SLOEs the issue when CORD only recommended one this season. Regardless, from what a PD is saying on the EM AMA thread, if you're at 5 before thanksgiving you will probably be fine. It's still quite early in the season. He's saying to wait until December 1st to send out LOIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
@12jas @Oligodinero thanks guys, yeah i've been watching the spreadsheet like a hawk but it's disheartening because it seems like all of the interviews are going to the same group of MD's because the DO bias is real. I do think the regions that I applied to is probably why i'm getting less too.

Do you think there will be a lot of movement after thanksgiving? I have heard the 5 interview thing before too, but is it likely to gain a lot more later on in the game? Idk , it seems like wishful thinking to me :(

I dunno. Sounds like you are a strong applicant. I suspect as more people fatigue they will drop interviews and spots will open up. However, with zoom interviews, I think people just aren't dropping as many. My stats are decent (not as strong as yours) but I applied very broad and to a lot of less desirable programs which has resulted in a number of invites but mainly from new or traditional DO community sites. I have been overlooked by programs I am in the region for and thought I was decently competitive for. Even did the whole residency fair, attended all their zoom socials, and all that crap to show I was very interested. I am right there with you with having this application season not go how I was hoping. I am trying to be patient with my letter of interests as I have been told it's too early but every day I get closer to sending a few.

Reactions: 1 users
@12jas I guess none of us know at this point since this year is so much different than any other year, but hopefully there's a decent wave of people dropping :/ if not i feel like so many people are going to be screwed and it's unfair. and wont programs not even have their spots filled in the end if it's the SAME chunk of people getting interviews and keepign them as back ups?

5 is a decent amount to have at this point. Likely you'll reach 10+ with those stats by the end of this. Might be average SLOEs or like another users said having done 2 SLOEs against CORD recommendation (unless those were both your home programs). For reference Im DO with 22x/23x and have 22 invites and only applied to cities i'd want to live in (More broad than just LA, NY, Miami though). I think people with top sloes are getting the bulk of stuff now and I image the second wave will see lots of love for the average SLOE crowd. Board scores seem irrelevant this year based on the spreadsheet. People will drop. I've dropped 6 and have at least 2 more im ready to drop if I hear back from any more programs. Did one interview and no way in hell I'm gunna be able to do more than 15 of those and I think most people will feel the same.

Reactions: 2 users
@Dr.Bruh damn congrats! thanks for the insight. is there even going to be THAT much movement as people drop though? im hoping for another wave but i haven't gotten anything at all since last week mid-week

@Dr.Bruh also how many apps did you send in ? i was picky and only sent in 30. then i realized how screwed up this cycle is, so i threw in 35 more but 2 weeks after ERAS opened :(

@Dr.Bruh also how many apps did you send in ? i was picky and only sent in 30. then i realized how screwed up this cycle is, so i threw in 35 more but 2 weeks after ERAS opened :(
I applied 70. Def too much. much 50 would be a reasonable number for any DO. I think there will be lots of late movement. interview hoarders will hold longer than usual bc they are virtualy but once they start doing them they will realize (unless they are like psychotic or something) that its totally exhausting and unreasonable to do more than the CORD rec. I applied very strategically. 50% community 50% Uni/County. Invites are about 50/50 in that spread too. I have a feeling i'll be cancelling more than accepting invites at this point. I suspect late this month into Dec more spots will open bc people will drop.