Interview suit--girls opinions please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athena21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey girls,
I saw these new suits at Express the other day--in light grey, dark grey, and black. I was thinking of getting the dark grey one for an interview. The blazer is a little longer than usual (that's the style i guess)...anyway, have any of you seen this suit? Is it too "stylish" for an interview? It looks chic, but professional...i dunno...tell me what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen it, but it sounds good to me. Personally, I have a charchol (sp) suit from the Limited that is a little stylish. And most of the women (and guys) who interviewed w/ me wore black, so the grey might help you stand out a little more. But instead of worrying if your suit is "right," I think the most important thing is to wear something that you feel you look good in - it will make you more confident and you'll have a better interview. :)

Hey! I have one of those stretch suits from Express!! I got the one which is made so you can't see the buttons when it's buttoned up--the charcoal grey one. I didn't see any lighter or darker grey ones. But I haven't worn it yet. I also thought it was too stylish. Instead, I got another black skirt suit from Nordstroms and wore that one. But if it's cool on Thursday, I'll probably wear the Express pantsuit to USUHS!! :clap: And it's true--almost everybody in my group of 25 people to GW's interview ALL WORE BLACK. The admissions office guy actually commented on it, like, "What's with all the black? Those are like the colors, black and blue!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't buy anything from Express for an interview. I would try Ann Taylor if you want something incredibly professional, yet stylish.

Alicia

It's been my understanding that any half-way-normal black or navy-blue suit with a white or off-white blouse/ shell... is acceptable.

This is only my opinion, not trying to flame anyone or be contentious, but here goes -

Admissions people aren't going to reject you on sight if you don't have "the right suit." Obviously look professional and well-kept, because it shows you take yourself and the school seriously. But don't be a clone. Limited and Express may be a little bit more stylish and youthful - but aren't most of us in our early 20's? We don't need to look like we're 45. Granted, your personality and interaction w/ the admin person shoudn't be eclipsed by what you're wearing, like by really bright colors or too much jewelry or makeup. Wear what is appropriate by your best judgement, and what you feel the most comfortable in. I think most interviewers are going to be more focused on what you say. ;)

thanks for the replies! I think i will get that suit, because ur right, I'm 21 and I feel comfortable in those clothes...and ur right, the suit's not important and the conversation is...but i just wanted some opinions on a minor decision...

Originally posted by Woots32
This is only my opinion, not trying to flame anyone or be contentious, but here goes -

Admissions people aren't going to reject you on sight if you don't have "the right suit." Obviously look professional and well-kept, because it shows you take yourself and the school seriously. But don't be a clone. Limited and Express may be a little bit more stylish and youthful - but aren't most of us in our early 20's? We don't need to look like we're 45. Granted, your personality and interaction w/ the admin person shoudn't be eclipsed by what you're wearing, like by really bright colors or too much jewelry or makeup. Wear what is appropriate by your best judgement, and what you feel the most comfortable in. I think most interviewers are going to be more focused on what you say. ;)

I don't know how many interviews you've been too so I don't know how much more you might know than me... but I'd like to say that at all but 1 or 2 of the schools I've interviewed at almost all the young women wore a navy blue or black suit with a white or off-white blouse... the one's that didn't really stuck out and not in a good way. Of course, maybe the schools I interviewed at are just wierd....

The real point here is... why risk it? There IS a reasonable chance that one or more of your interviewers is going to really care about how you dress... and you just can't go wrong with a black or navy blue suit. Better safe than sorry...

I wore red! (the shell, not the suit ;) ) It didn't seem to hurt (only 2 post-interview rejects out of 12), and I felt a little more alive than if I'd stuck with completely neutral colors. For the record, it was a pants suit from Nordstroms, and black. So I second Woots32's "Don't be a clone" and "What you say is more important than what you wear" advice. Wear whatever you like and feel good in that also looks professional.

athena, i know you already decided, so i'm responding for future wonderers....

i went to my interview in a black ann taylor skirt suit with a creme shell and was the ONLY girl dressed that way. one girl wore a blouse and skirt (not stylish AT ALL, but looked ok). one girl wore a khaki pant suit that was definitely trendy with strappy heeled sandals. the last girl wore a black suit with a funky, patterned shell. honestly...it didn't matter!!!! i felt kinda dumb for having worried so much about my little outfit. if it hadn't have been so cheap, i might have felt guilty! look as professional and neat as possible......and be comfortable.

good luck!

p.s. there is an extensive thread on this out there....something with LADIES and SUIT or something like that.

Where was this interview you had, chopsuey, where everybody was wearing all these different styles? I think that's refreshing!

Originally posted by athena21
Hey girls,
I saw these new suits at Express the other day--in light grey, dark grey, and black. I was thinking of getting the dark grey one for an interview. The blazer is a little longer than usual (that's the style i guess)...anyway, have any of you seen this suit? Is it too "stylish" for an interview? It looks chic, but professional...i dunno...tell me what you think!

As long as it looks professional. Whatever color you want should be okay. Black is conventional, but grey is fine, and might make you stand out.

-RA

I have a black pants suit but wear a blue button down blouse underneath that really makes my blue eyes pop out. If you have some kind of feature like this you can accentuate, do it. If it comes down to you and a male who is equally qualified, and a guy interviewed you who thought you were hot, who do you think is going to get in? I think it also makes the conversation a little more friendly if they find you attractive. (just an opinion) As stated before, it is most important to be comfortable and confident.

Please don't lecture me on everywhere the above statement could go, I have spent the last year working in a field comprised of 90% men and used to think I would never sell out with looks, but for those of you out there still in school, it can make a HUGE difference. (Sad, but true.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kaos
Where was this interview you had, chopsuey, where everybody was wearing all these different styles? I think that's refreshing!

Temple, kaos....

even the boys had different types of suits. this one guy (very cute) had a subtly pinstriped navy blue one. the rest were black but slight different styles ("cool guy" designer stuff, more business-y.)

do any of you girls have suits with LONG skirts? i'm not keen on showing my legs but i also dont quite have the body for a pantsuit. (a skirt suit looks good though).

is a long skirt professional in your opinion, and ahve you seen any good ones anywhere?

i'm going to check out express and ann taylor this weekend :)

i haven't seen any...are u talking about long to the ankle or long to a bit below the knee? bit below the knee i've seen...

ankle length does not seem professional looking to me. I admit it doesn't make any sense, but then what about women's clothing/fashion does make sense?

Hi Folks,
I have a shoe buying tip. Every year the FFANY puts on a charity sale of new shoes at half price, and all the money goes to breast cancer research. Basically 100's of brands of shoes for a relatively cheap price. It's on QVC on Wednesday, October 16, 7-10 PM ET.

BananaSplit

I am taking a shopping trip with my girls this weekend, they have all chipped in to get me something sharp to wear.

We are hitting ann taylor, talbots, j crew (boring), banana (double boring) and the bargin bin at steinmart.

I am thinking a brown tweed or chic neutral plaid wide leg pant suit with some strappy heals (no toes showing). I am a big fan of talbots.

:love: I love color. I look like a vampy waif in black, gray or navy. My personality will shine through with color. I don't intend to offend anyone, but I will not let convention dictate in this department. However, I am glad this discussion is occuring.

I'm a non-trad Post-Bac student, age 34, wife, mother and former Biomedical Engineer. Here's my advice:

1) When in doubt err on the conservative side. For many younger applicants the people who will be interviewing you are old enough to be your parents or grandparents. Think about what your parents consider professional and stylish. Probably not the same thing that you do.

2) My personal opinion - wear pantyhose. (just remember to bring an extra pair in case of snags) I've interviewed many people myself and very few people can pull off the bare leg look. When I interviewed this past summer, a young attractive women was also interviewing. She wore a black suit with no hose and all you noticed was bare white legs. Many suit fabrics are very sophisticated and bare skin breaks the look. I know they aren't very comfortable, but its only a few hours. Ditto for the open toe shoes.

3) Most of all find something you feel comfortable in! If you feel good, you will look great!

For anyone that likes Talbots..... there are quite a few Talbots outlets around. I know the main one outside of Boston, one near New Haven, CT, and there is one in Albany. The prices are really discounted - a true outlet and they usually have a good selection.

Best of luck to everyone!

I knew there was a good reason I wore a pants suit! :eek: Pantyhose!! +pissed+

I got my pantsuit today at petite sophisticate (I really didn't now that 5'4" was considered petite until I was "swimming" in the misses suits.) I got it on sale and it is so perfect for me. The color is called pebble beach, and from far away it looks grey; in certain lights it looks brown, really stunning. Up close it is a very tiny black and white weave. There are four black buttons on the jacket, a nice contrast to the lighter material. I can pair it with a black bateau neck or a black mock turtle. A red shell underneath would be very chic too. It is my first suit ever and I got it because it is an "all season" type. I have to find some black heels, knee stockings and a portfolio tomorrow. I am so psyched.

I have my "off-campus" MUSC interview on Tuesday. I looked the man up and he is the youth leader for a local episcopal church and his name screams old southern money. I think I will skip the red shell.

We are meeting at a coffee shop. I am prepared for the euthanasia question. It bit me last time. . . "Sure, I think young people should be able to travel all over the world, Asia included."
But I was 17, who know?

Any other girls do some shopping this today?

Originally posted by isidella

We are meeting at a coffee shop. I am prepared for the euthanasia question. It bit me last time. . . "Sure, I think young people should be able to travel all over the world, Asia included."
But I was 17, who know?

Any other girls do some shopping this today?

:laugh: lol! :laugh:

i did...but i already have my suits ready