Interview -- Thank you letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jiffy boy, Nov 3, 2001.

1. jiffy boy

jiffy boy Member
    7+ Year Member

I just wnated to get opinions on sending thank you letters after an interview to the interviewers. Is it a good idea to do? Would it be considered kissing up?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Suz177

Suz177 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been sending them to all of my interviewers. I've heard mixed reviews, but I figure that it can't hurt to remind my interviewer who I am, what we discussed, not to mention that I really care about getting in. Just my opinion. My problem now is that I forgot my interviewers names by the end of my interview, mainly out of nervousness, and am trying to decide if I should contact admissions offices for that info or if I will just look like a total dimwit.

4. Emcat

Emcat Member
    10+ Year Member

I wrote thank you's to my interviewers. I think it's a nice touch. Just keep it very short and simple. Oh, and I wrote down the name of each person that interviewed me as soon as I got out of there. I'm glad I did that, cause I never would have remembered!

5. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    jiffy boy,

Next time try using "search" and typing in 'thank you notes.' ;) ;)

In answer to your question, yes it is a good idea to send in thank you cards. I guess the reason why you send them in determines whether or not you're kissing up. Most committees ususally meet the same day or w/in a day to evaluate your interview performance/admittance, so even if you send a thank-you card via snail mail, it won't reach them in time. But, if you want to send them a card to thank them for their time and to let them know you had a good time, then who cares about the timing??!! I usually wait about two days and then mail off my thank-you notes. I simply want to thank them for a good time. So, your original intentions in sending the thank-you cards pretty much determine if you're kissing up or not. AT some schools, I hear they get you browny points...

:)

6. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

I spoke with a very trusted biology professor with this same question. I was worried I would appear to be kissing ass. He told me that he thought it was a good idea if you felt good about the interview to follow up with a thank you. He said it showed professionalism. And to be very brief as well.