Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Interview Thank you letters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Red Garlox, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Red Garlox

Red Garlox New Member

Pre-Medical
    Are thank you letters necessary? Do you run the risk of coming off as a suck up if thnk you letters are sent, or are you expected to send them?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There're a bunch of old threads re: this, but to summarize the general consensus is that it's thought to be a polite thing to do but they probably arrive after they've made comments in your file so they prob. don't affect anything either way.
    I did it. I also know plenty of people that didn't & were fine.
    Personal preference, I imagine.

4. Red Garlox

Red Garlox New Member

Pre-Medical

Thank's

5. bkflaneur

bkflaneur Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've sent them in most cases. I don't think they help much, since in most cases, the comments are already in place. But I don't think it can hurt to send them, and I do think that in some rare cases, it could hurt not to send them.

Schools want to accept applicants who will want to come to the school. So if there's any questions mark about your interest, a thank you note is good.

It's also just polite and a good habit.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you are worried about whether it will help or hurt, you are missing the point. Thank you notes are common courtesy in professional school and business interview situations. They will not affect whether you get in or not. They will not show any additional interest or have any impact whatsoever. But you should do them anyway because that's just good manners. And if you think its a suck up move (as the OP suggested), then you are totally off base. Most people write them.