Interview Thank you letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Garlox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are thank you letters necessary? Do you run the risk of coming off as a suck up if thnk you letters are sent, or are you expected to send them?

Members don't see this ad.

There're a bunch of old threads re: this, but to summarize the general consensus is that it's thought to be a polite thing to do but they probably arrive after they've made comments in your file so they prob. don't affect anything either way.
I did it. I also know plenty of people that didn't & were fine.
Personal preference, I imagine.

seilienne said:
There're a bunch of old threads re: this, but to summarize the general consensus is that it's thought to be a polite thing to do but they probably arrive after they've made comments in your file so they prob. don't affect anything either way.
I did it. I also know plenty of people that didn't & were fine.
Personal preference, I imagine.

Thank's

Members don't see this ad :)
I've sent them in most cases. I don't think they help much, since in most cases, the comments are already in place. But I don't think it can hurt to send them, and I do think that in some rare cases, it could hurt not to send them.

Schools want to accept applicants who will want to come to the school. So if there's any questions mark about your interest, a thank you note is good.

It's also just polite and a good habit.

bkflaneur said:
I've sent them in most cases. I don't think they help much, since in most cases, the comments are already in place. But I don't think it can hurt to send them, and I do think that in some rare cases, it could hurt not to send them.

Schools want to accept applicants who will want to come to the school. So if there's any questions mark about your interest, a thank you note is good.

It's also just polite and a good habit.

If you are worried about whether it will help or hurt, you are missing the point. Thank you notes are common courtesy in professional school and business interview situations. They will not affect whether you get in or not. They will not show any additional interest or have any impact whatsoever. But you should do them anyway because that's just good manners. And if you think its a suck up move (as the OP suggested), then you are totally off base. Most people write them.