Interview Thank You Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about interview thank yous....

My interviews are Friday and Monday... do I ask my interviewer for their card?? Do I just send the thank you to the admissions office?? Do I send it to admission and add my interviewer's name?

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

That is a good question. I have heard some sources say you do ask for their card so you can sen thank yous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent formal letters to the admissions office thanking the interviewer(s), tour guide(s) and anyone else I met with. I also stated my hightened interest in the school post seeing it. I would recommend sending, in addition, a card to the interviewer as they are the ones who make decisions sometimes.

Great advice! I'm learning so much more the second time around :p

You can call the admissions office and ask for the interviewer's address (or Box #).
Personally, I would hesitate asking the interviewer for a card.

WildTumor said:
You can call the admissions office and ask for the interviewer's address (or Box #).
Personally, I would hesitate asking the interviewer for a card.

My interviewers all offered me cards

just address the letter to your interviewer and send the letter to the care of the admissions office. no need to worry - the admissions office will happily give the letters to the interviewers. good luck on your interviews.

You could also just send an email. All you need is their name to pull that off the website. Given that they probably do several hundred interviews, I don't think you need to go through the effort of sending cards.

I guess I'm a bit confused here.. What kind of cards do they give you? They give you the thank you cards you'll send back to them??? That could have been a really dumb question; but I just woke up...

Taliesinrk said:
I guess I'm a bit confused here.. What kind of cards do they give you? They give you the thank you cards you'll send back to them??? That could have been a really dumb question; but I just woke up...

haha... no business cards they give you

Do interviewers ever respond to a thank you?

just address the letter to your interviewer and send the letter to the care of the admissions office. no need to worry - the admissions office will happily give the letters to the interviewers. good luck on your interviews.

agreed...take the business card if it's offered to you, but otherwise do it this way

Do interviewers ever respond to a thank you?

Surprisingly, the Dean of Admissions with whom I interviewed at one of the schools responded to my thank you note. However, no one else thus far has acknowledged it. I'm assuming they get many notes, and it's more of an act of courtesy on our part.

I think it's only polite to send thank you notes/cards to the interviewers. Often they are not really members of the admission committee, so they don't have any bearing on the final decision aside from the evaluation forms they fill out after the interview. Still, considering that they don't get paid for taking time out of their schedule to interview applicants, and it only takes a minute to write a thank you note, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do it. I send mine to the admissions office with a letter thanking the staff for the interview and asking them to pass on the notes. I asked at a couple interviews, and that's what the admissions staff advised me to do, plus it saves on postage. As far as response goes, I haven't received letters back or anything, but one of my interviewers sent me an email like two minutes after I got an acceptance from that school (and that was at 12:30am), so I thought that was pretty awesome. Hope all of this helps, otherwise, sorry for the long post :p