interview timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halo_nevus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to SDN (have lurked for a while but never posted) but was looking for some advice. I've been lucky enough to receive 2 interview invites from top 20 schools so far this cycle, but I haven't heard from a lot of schools that have been releasing interviews for weeks and weeks now. I was complete everywhere (22 schools) early July. Applied to mostly top20s + a few lower-ranked schools. LizzyM is 78+ and my app is very solid (1 research pub from last year, lots of clinical experience, great letters).

Was wondering if some successful applicants from previous cycles could post when their interview invites came in. Were they all in august if you were complete everywhere in July? Or was it spread out over august through october? Interested to see if schools actually go back to applicants that seem to have been passed over and didn't make the cut for initial interview invites. I'm seeing these kids with 10+ IIs, wondering whether it's common to get later invites or not when complete very early.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the IIs!!

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out IIs merely in chronological order.

IIs can be sent out from summer through winter, and even beyond. There is no significance.

LizzyM ran a poll about II timing not too long ago.

Do not compare yourself to others, only yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the IIs!!

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out IIs merely in chronological order.

IIs can be sent out from summer through winter, and even beyond. There is no significance.

LizzyM ran a poll about II timing not too long ago.

Do not compare yourself to others, only yourself.

@Goro thanks for the feedback.

Any chance someone could link me to that II timing poll? Tried searching but was unsuccessful.

still interested in hearing when people from previous cycles got their IIs if anyone is willing to share!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get answers that range between July and March. You have more II's than most at this point, and keep in mind that the average matricvlant only has 3 interviews in a cycle. I'm not going to address what your II's being from top 20's means.

This is LizzyM's poll about general II timing and what it indicates about your overall chances: Calling all 2015-2016 applicants

This is planeblue's II tracker from a few cycles back: Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker

It only takes one II to get into medical schools. Do well on the 2 IIs you have and hopefully by October 15 you're sitting on an acceptance and you can relax the rest of the cycle. Having multiple IIs is cool and all, but no one cares once you start in your program.

Assuming your application is strong and you applied to a good list of schools, I bet you'll receive at least 5 interview invites (including the 2 you already received) in this cycle. And if you interview well, you can probably receive at least 2 acceptances.

The average matriculant received 1 acceptance from 3 interview invites from 13 applications. The above assumptions help extend this trend for more schools you are complete.

I dont know if I would quite state it that way as the statistics are seperate
1) just under 50% of all matriculants got a single offer of acceptance
2) just over 50% of all matriculants had 3 interview invites or less
3) the average number of applications (i thought) was closer to 15 in the last cycle

I need to look at that data again but I'm mainly using it as some sort of a predictor (so i'd take what i said loosely since it's untested). I'm currently testing the accuracy in the general case but it'll take a while.

I had similar strength of application and applied to similar schools, was complete mid-July, didn't get my first II until 8/26. Ended up getting 15 II's, mostly in September, the latest coming in December. You'll be aight. Settle in for the long haul - the anxiety gets worse post-II when waiting on decisions/waitlist outcomes...

Reactions: 2 users
I had similar strength of application and applied to similar schools, was complete mid-July, didn't get my first II until 8/26. Ended up getting 15 II's, mostly in September, the latest coming in December. You'll be aight. Settle in for the long haul - the anxiety gets worse post-II when waiting on decisions/waitlist outcomes...

You give us unrealistic dreams of September

Cue Green Day, wake me up when September ends

Reactions: 2 users
You give us unrealistic dreams of September

Cue Green Day, wake me up when September ends

Did you actually complete 37 secondaries? :scared: I'd guess you'll have more II than you know what to do with before too long...

Did you actually complete 37 secondaries? :scared: I'd guess you'll have more II than you know what to do with before too long...

I don't know what to do with like 15 II but I know itll make me super happy haha :p

Did you attend all of them?!

I don't know what to do with like 15 II but I know itll make me super happy haha :p

Did you attend all of them?!

Almost all of them... I started scheduling schools I cared less about as late as possible so I could skip them if I got in somewhere, but didn't get my first acceptance until February so just kept attending interviews. Most of my schools were non-rolling so had to wait until Spring to hear back. $$$$$$$$$ :cryi: