interview to BU, UNLV, Midwest AZ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ok22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview to these schools, but i got accepted to Loma Linda on Dec 1. Cali is my home state. I'm wondering if I should even go to any of these interviews... what do think??

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend at least going to Midwestern. I didn't expect much before going there and was blown away. It's a beautiful school. I would rather go there than Loma Linda.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest question is, is Loma Linda your first choice?

I can't speak for UNLV, but if travel costs and location aren't your concerns then I recommend checking out both BU and Mid-AZ. BU has a strong program that offers a well-rounded education and numerous externship opportunities. Midwestern, like rickbhill mentioned, has a gorgeous campus and amazing facilities - things which attract a lot of students.

It's definitely a tough decision to make to spend more money on more interviews and I feel your pain. Here's what I know...

I've been down to UNLV numerous times and I was accepted on December 1st and I can say that their facilities are amazingly nice and state of the art and their faculty seems to really care about their students. I have 3 friends that already attend UNLV SDM, each in different years, and they all say that it's challenging, but they feel like they're getting a lot out of their schooling. I really like UNLV because from what I understand they have a wonderful patient pool and because they don't have very many specialty programs their dental school students get to see a lot of the harder cases that would be normally taken by specialty programs. They've also had great success in placing their students into specialty programs. I'm not sure of your stats but UNLV is a state school and for that reason it might be a little bit more competitive for you to receive admissions as an out of state resident.

I also interviewed and received acceptances from Midwestern-IL and AZ. Midwestern-AZ did have incredible, brand-new facilities that were really impressive. Their class size was larger, which could be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it. They have a wonderful dean who, from what I saw, took a tremendous interest in his students. They also don't have any specialty programs and the dean said that as long as he's there he would keep it that way. Unlike most dental schools Midwestern-AZ takes their boards part one after their first year, which I liked because they get their first summer off to study for it. The one thing that could possibly be a major drawback for midwestern depending on your take of it is that from my understanding they are getting ready open up a midlevel provider program for dentistry. I still don't know what I think about it but if I'm taking on the amazingly high debt load that dental school requires then I'm not sure if I would like the fact that my dental school is training people who want to possibly take my job and income from me.

As for BU... I got nothing for ya.
So there's my 2 cents. Congrat's either way on being accepted.

Best of luck!!

Last edited:
thanks a lot for the advice. i don't think i'm going to go to the UNLV interview just because it costs about 60 grand more per year than LLU does. I think I'll check out MIDWEST and I still have to schedule my interview for BU. But i might as well for now. No matter what i have to make the grand deposit on LLU though...

It's definitely a tough decision to make to spend more money on more interviews and I feel your pain. Here's what I know...

I've been down to UNLV numerous times and I was accepted on December 1st and I can say that their facilities are amazingly nice and state of the art and their faculty seems to really care about their students. I have 3 friends that already attend UNLV SDM, each in different years, and they all say that it's challenging, but they feel like they're getting a lot out of their schooling. I really like UNLV because from what I understand they have a wonderful patient pool and because they don't have very many specialty programs their dental school students get to see a lot of the harder cases that would be normally taken by specialty programs. They've also had great success in placing their students into specialty programs. I'm not sure of your stats but UNLV is a state school and for that reason it might be a little bit more competitive for you to receive admissions as an out of state resident.

I also interviewed and received acceptances from Midwestern-IL and AZ. Midwestern-AZ did have incredible, brand-new facilities that were really impressive. Their class size was larger, which could be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it. They have a wonderful dean who, from what I saw, took a tremendous interest in his students. They also don't have any specialty programs and the dean said that as long as he's there he would keep it that way. Unlike most dental schools Midwestern-AZ takes their boards part one after their first year, which I liked because they get their first summer off to study for it. The one thing that could possibly be a major drawback for midwestern depending on your take of it is that from my understanding they are getting ready open up a midlevel provider program for dentistry. I still don't know what I think about it but if I'm taking on the amazingly high debt load that dental school requires then I'm not sure if I would like the fact that my dental school is training people who want to possibly take my job and income from me.

As for BU... I got nothing for ya.
So there's my 2 cents. Congrat's either way on being accepted.

Best of luck!!

awesome info and comparisons:thumbup:
are you sure about specialties? also can you elaborate on the bold parts please.

I go to MWU and we got tons of ppl from cali.