Interview tomorrow and I'm sick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverwoman1040

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search and found a bunch of threads about people having colds for interviews, and being told to suck it up. I have a bit of a different situation. I have an interview tomorrow, for a waitlist, but since I don't have any acceptances yet I was very excited. I don't know if it's food poisening, the natural gas leak I just had fixed, or the flu, but now I'm vomiting. Do I go to the interview and just pray that I don't have to go running out of the room? I'm worried that I'll have a hard time rescheduling this late in the year, and I'm sure the admissions office is closed by now. Help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search and found a bunch of threads about people having colds for interviews, and being told to suck it up. I have a bit of a different situation. I have an interview tomorrow, for a waitlist, but since I don't have any acceptances yet I was very excited. I don't know if it's food poisening, the natural gas leak I just had fixed, or the flu, but now I'm vomiting. Do I go to the interview and just pray that I don't have to go running out of the room? I'm worried that I'll have a hard time rescheduling this late in the year, and I'm sure the admissions office is closed by now. Help!!!!

Is it local or do you have to fly there? If it's a 24 hr bug i assume you'll be pretty much ok by tomorrow. Take some anti-emetics, drink plenty of fluids and pray a lot. You'll probably be ok, maybe not feel so strong or great but hopefully the adrenalin will kick in enough to get you thru the interview. this late in the game I wouldn't cancel unless you are vomitting in the morning. Ouch, that would really suck because schools can't be interviewing much any more. Trust me, you'll feel better once you're there. i showed up to a couple of my interviews hardly able to stand up (literally) due to adverse effects of medication I wa son...and i mean really severe effects, and I somehow managed to hide the effects. best of luck.

Luckily for me, I had a regional interview for SLU in San Francisco when I was sick with a terrible cold (not as bad as your vomiting urges, I'm afraid). I secretly hoped that my being sick would make me memorable to my interviewer... and I guess it did! I ended up being accepted to SLU within 3-4 weeks of interviewing. Good luck! Make your illness work for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
doctors don't get sick.

no excuses. you have to go or you'll look like a wimp.

seriously -- i hope you feel better and kick some interview ass!

ps - i hate throwing up. it sucks the worst! i hope you don't have norwalk virus!!! ( i guess you'd be having other GI problems if you did, though!)

Thanks for the responses everyone! After much panic, I passed out on the couch at 10pm. My roommmate dragged me into bed, and I woke up to my alarm at 6am feeling 100 times better. Luckly it was a late interview, and within driving distance of my house. I still wasn't 100% healthy but I think it went fairly well considering the circumstances, and it turned out to be their last day of interviews, so I wouldn't have been able to reschedule. Seems the universe was on my side for once this cycle, hopefully the adcom will be too :)

Another thought- is it sad that when I was sitting on my bathroom floor vomiting, one of my first thoughts was to get on sdn? :rolleyes:

haha. its probably what i would do.

hey, just do what you gotta do. if you do have to go out of the room during your interview, just tell them you're sick. if they have a problem with that, give them the finger.

haha. its probably what i would do.

hey, just do what you gotta do. if you do have to go out of the room during your interview, just tell them you're sick. if they have a problem with that, give them the finger.

Yeah, I had actually considered concealing an airplane style barf bag in my suit until my parents pointed out that driving an hour and a half in that condition wasn't particularly safe. We're a neurotic bunch, aren't we?