1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Interview tomorrow and I'm sick

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by riverwoman1040, Apr 12, 2007.

1. riverwoman1040

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did a search and found a bunch of threads about people having colds for interviews, and being told to suck it up. I have a bit of a different situation. I have an interview tomorrow, for a waitlist, but since I don't have any acceptances yet I was very excited. I don't know if it's food poisening, the natural gas leak I just had fixed, or the flu, but now I'm vomiting. Do I go to the interview and just pray that I don't have to go running out of the room? I'm worried that I'll have a hard time rescheduling this late in the year, and I'm sure the admissions office is closed by now. Help!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it local or do you have to fly there? If it's a 24 hr bug i assume you'll be pretty much ok by tomorrow. Take some anti-emetics, drink plenty of fluids and pray a lot. You'll probably be ok, maybe not feel so strong or great but hopefully the adrenalin will kick in enough to get you thru the interview. this late in the game I wouldn't cancel unless you are vomitting in the morning. Ouch, that would really suck because schools can't be interviewing much any more. Trust me, you'll feel better once you're there. i showed up to a couple of my interviews hardly able to stand up (literally) due to adverse effects of medication I wa son...and i mean really severe effects, and I somehow managed to hide the effects. best of luck.

4. mistiza

Resident [Any Field]
    Luckily for me, I had a regional interview for SLU in San Francisco when I was sick with a terrible cold (not as bad as your vomiting urges, I'm afraid). I secretly hoped that my being sick would make me memorable to my interviewer... and I guess it did! I ended up being accepted to SLU within 3-4 weeks of interviewing. Good luck! Make your illness work for you!

5. mlle3000

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    doctors don't get sick.

no excuses. you have to go or you'll look like a wimp.

seriously -- i hope you feel better and kick some interview ass!

ps - i hate throwing up. it sucks the worst! i hope you don't have norwalk virus!!! ( i guess you'd be having other GI problems if you did, though!)

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Don't keep us hanging. What happened with your interview? Did the illness improve in time? I hope all went well.

7. riverwoman1040

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for the responses everyone! After much panic, I passed out on the couch at 10pm. My roommmate dragged me into bed, and I woke up to my alarm at 6am feeling 100 times better. Luckly it was a late interview, and within driving distance of my house. I still wasn't 100% healthy but I think it went fairly well considering the circumstances, and it turned out to be their last day of interviews, so I wouldn't have been able to reschedule. Seems the universe was on my side for once this cycle, hopefully the adcom will be too :)

8. riverwoman1040

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another thought- is it sad that when I was sitting on my bathroom floor vomiting, one of my first thoughts was to get on sdn? :rolleyes:

9. aynrand

aynrand New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha. its probably what i would do.

hey, just do what you gotta do. if you do have to go out of the room during your interview, just tell them you're sick. if they have a problem with that, give them the finger.

10. riverwoman1040

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yeah, I had actually considered concealing an airplane style barf bag in my suit until my parents pointed out that driving an hour and a half in that condition wasn't particularly safe. We're a neurotic bunch, aren't we?

11. flaahless

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    TheraFlu... get some and goodluck