Interview tomorrow, PD shares my religion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I give the widely-accepted greeting to fellow members of my religion or am I better served sticking with "hello"?

Members don't see this ad.

Gut reaction: Let him make the first move towards that end and be neutral otherwise. Regardless if you mentioned it on your ERAS personal statement. If you didn't, how does he know you follow the same religion as he does?

Let your talents and secular beliefs stand out. If the PD wants to make a discussion out of it, let him do it first.

Just erring on the side of being conservative.

Agree with Ronin.

This is a business professional interview and should be as neutral as possible. You are entering his office not a church/temple/mosque, etc. for the purpose of worship in which such a gesture would be appropriate. If the interviewer wishes to discuss religion or makes other gestures, that is a different story and you may reciprocate.

I might also ask how you know if the PD actually practices the religion which you share or feels fondly about it? Just because someone was raised in a certain faith does not mean that they are an active practitioner of it.

I might also ask how you know if the PD actually practices the religion which you share or feels fondly about it? Just because someone was raised in a certain faith does not mean that they are an active practitioner of it.

Agreed. Unless the PD is also the Imam at a local mosque or the Cantor at your synagogue (or someone you regularly see at whatever house of worship you personally attend), you have no idea whether or not this person actually practices the faith. If you were interviewing for a Doctor of Divinity program instead of a job as a doctor, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, the potential downside far outweighs any minor potential upside.

Thanks everyone. By the time the interview day had started, I had not checked the thread to view the opinions. Didn't end up doing it, just said hello and went on with the interview. Everything you all said makes perfect sense, it's better to stay conservative and let my own merit take precedence over everything else.

I know this is a very tense time for all of us, so I appreciate the serious responses.