Interview Travel Subsidy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyeAlum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools at which I'll be interviewing told me that they would like to try to subsidize some/all of my travel there (if funds allow). How common is this? Do the schools who do this pay for all interviewees' travel or are they more selective about the people to whom they offer a subsidy?

FYI - I never indicated that I needed any financial support in getting to the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of the five in-person interviews I've been offered so far, I haven't gotten any subsidies, so lucky you! :) My grad student co-worker suggested I ask the schools about possible subsides because interviews are somewhat more expensive for me than most applicants (cost of lodging + airfare for another person), but I've decided not to, at least for now. From what I've heard, interview subsidies in the applied psych fields are pretty rare.

Congrats on the invite and subsidy, btw.

I interviewed at 6 schools for clinical psych over the course of my application process. 4 of those provided travel funding. (This may not be representative; I applied almost exclusively to more research-focused programs-- Nothing below a 4 on insider's guide). Those that provided travel funding did so for all students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes they can give money, dependent on how many people come to interview (e.g., they might have 5k, and if 10 people come each can get $500, but if 20 come then they only get $250). I got some money at (edit) some of (/edit) my interviews at research-focused schools.

Last edited:
I've gotten four interviews so far and haven't been offered travel funding yet. Would be nice though!

prisonpsych,

if you are geting interviews, then how are you a psychologist?

I have a masters degree in psychology, and my state has masters level licensure. I have been licensed for more than six years. If they had a "masters level psychologist" tag on the forums, I would use it, but they don't.

Thanks for the input, guys. The school is a pretty research-focused school, so it makes sense. :)

thats an interesting idea, someone could start a thread that people list schools that they know have or have experience getting travel costs covered... would be a handy thing for applicants in subsequent years.

Like, for instance one of my program covers everything but flight, which is kinda common, while another one of my programs has a minority reimbursement fund for travel costs, etc. Future applicants might find that kind of info handy... especialy since it isnt always listed on a program website.

Only one of the schools at which I interviewed (out of 8) offered a reimbursement for travel. I applied to both Psy.D and Ph.D programs; this one was a Ph.D. We were instructed to save our receipts for gas or plane tickets, and then mail them in after the interview in order to receive a check in the mail later. They told us it was no guarantee that each person's total expenses would be reimbursed, but the funding did apply to all students. I wish all schools did this!

thats an interesting idea, someone could start a thread that people list schools that they know have or have experience getting travel costs covered... would be a handy thing for applicants in subsequent years.

Like, for instance one of my program covers everything but flight, which is kinda common, while another one of my programs has a minority reimbursement fund for travel costs, etc. Future applicants might find that kind of info handy... especialy since it isnt always listed on a program website.

This might be helpful but I wonder if the funding situation varies a lot from year to year.

I've got 4 invites to research-heavy schools (all are a 5 or higher in the Insider's Guide) and only 1 has offered compensation so far. In the case of this school, I'm pretty certain that they only invite about 3-4 candidates per slot, so it's probably a lot easier to work into their budget.