Interview while doing an audition month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jace's mom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search but still not sure what the best answer is. I will be doing an elective at a program I really like, and unfortunately it's right in the middle of prime interview season (no choice on scheduling). I have an interview scheduled during that month that I could probably move if I had to. My concern is this: with the number of interviews I need to do (per my own estimate and my dean), there's really no way I can afford NOT to interview during that month. I'll really need to do one or maybe two interviews that month, or the other months will be too crowded.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Offer to work weekends to make up for any days that you miss. How effective this will be would depend on the service, and how busy they are on the weekend.

Thank you, but unfortunately it's not the kind of program where people work weekends unless they're on call, and even then it's mostly home call. I'm thinking maybe I'll just try to reschedule the interview, but I don't know what that will do for later months. I need anywhere from 10-15 interviews, and I don't know how I'm going to fit all those into two months without failing a rotation.

Thank you, but unfortunately it's not the kind of program where people work weekends unless they're on call, and even then it's mostly home call. I'm thinking maybe I'll just try to reschedule the interview, but I don't know what that will do for later months. I need anywhere from 10-15 interviews, and I don't know how I'm going to fit all those into two months without failing a rotation.

How do you know how many interviews you need? Nobody in my school told me any of this stuff so I'm just curious. Thanks.

I am in the same predicament. I am going to have to take off for interviews during my audition. Hopefully it won't work against me, but there is little I can do. I plan on offering to work weekends to make up for lost time.

Am I the only one that thinks it would be BS for a program to get offended that you did that? I mean when the hell are we supposed to do them? I have one during my next audition and will miss a Friday because of it. You can't be too picky with interview invites as I see it.

Am I the only one that thinks it would be BS for a program to get offended that you did that? I mean when the hell are we supposed to do them? I have one during my next audition and will miss a Friday because of it. You can't be too picky with interview invites as I see it.

no, not the only one. i agree with you.

How do you know how many interviews you need? Nobody in my school told me any of this stuff so I'm just curious. Thanks.
My dean had a chart - I think it was from one of the NRMP data reports, but I couldn't find it just now when I looked online. It showed the number of interviews students had done per specialty and how that correlated with acceptances. There were actually two charts - one for MD and one for everyone else. She extrapolated based off of that chart and my own situation how many interviews I should try to obtain, and then told me to apply to twice that many schools. Sorry I can't find that particular chart right now; I know I've seen it before! I'll keep looking and will post it if I find it.

As for my interview, I've decided to keep it and offer to work evenings or the weekend to make up for missing a day. They might not accept my offer as my specialty is more of a M-F 8-5 kind of thing, but at least I tried.

I have an audition rotation coming up in November at a program that has not yet contacted me about my application- no rejection, no interview :( My rotation starts a month from tomorrow. Should I send an E-mail to check in with them? It will definitely feel weird to start an audition rotation with them in the middle of interview season not having been offered an interview. Are there programs that will not offer an interview to an applicant because they know they'll get a good sense of that person while he/she is completing an audition rotation? I was thinking that some of the more competitive programs with fewer available interview spots might do this... I feel like a school girl wondering if my crush likes me or not!:(:p

I have an audition rotation coming up in November at a program that has not yet contacted me about my application- no rejection, no interview :( My rotation starts a month from tomorrow. Should I send an E-mail to check in with them? It will definitely feel weird to start an audition rotation with them in the middle of interview season not having been offered an interview. Are there programs that will not offer an interview to an applicant because they know they'll get a good sense of that person while he/she is completing an audition rotation? I was thinking that some of the more competitive programs with fewer available interview spots might do this... I feel like a school girl wondering if my crush likes me or not!:(:p

I am in a similar situation, except my rotation is in January. I tried to set it up for December but they don't take electives that month. When I spoke with the coordinator to set everything up she said they interview through January so it shouldn't be too late. I always thought programs you rotate with would automatically give you an interview as a courtesy, but maybe that isn't the case? I feel like it will be hard to be really enthusiastic if I don't receive an interview from them, or that it'll be embarrassing because the residents will know I'm there but not interviewing so I'm wasting my time. Maybe I'm over thinking this. :-\

I am in a similar situation, except my rotation is in January. I tried to set it up for December but they don't take electives that month. When I spoke with the coordinator to set everything up she said they interview through January so it shouldn't be too late. I always thought programs you rotate with would automatically give you an interview as a courtesy, but maybe that isn't the case? I feel like it will be hard to be really enthusiastic if I don't receive an interview from them, or that it'll be embarrassing because the residents will know I'm there but not interviewing so I'm wasting my time. Maybe I'm over thinking this. :-\

As a general rule, most programs do offer courtesy invites to visiting rotons, but it's not a guarantee. And if, by some chance you get rejected before your rotation, just cancel it. No use spending extra time and money on a place that doesn't want you.

As to the question about time off for interviews, I think programs that (outide of core clerkships and SubIs) have official (or even unofficial) maximum missed days rules do their 4th year students a huge disservice, especially during interview season. The entire purpose of the Oct-Feb period in 4th yr is to get a residency spot. Any program that interferes with that in any way needs to be called on it.