Interview withdrawn- seriously bummed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have been so excited this week because I was granted an interview at UVM (already bought plane tix etc). Got an e-mail from the Director of Admssions today, though, withdrawing the interview. I'm currently a first year med student in Ireland and UVM apparently has a policy that they won't interview or take anyone currently enrolled in med school. (But given UVM's four-year program versus Ireland's five years, it would make sense for me to go back and I'd love to be there.)

Anyone ever heard of this rule or know why they have it? I thought I'd make that much better of a candidate because of my resolve and year of med school, demonstrating my ability to handle the program yadda yadda. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i'm so sorry to hear something like that man. some schools did have policies like that. i know some schools dont accept transfers and i think in this case, it would be considered this. you should definitely go back and check every american school you applied to.

anyway, im really sorry to hear. i was shocked that an interview would be withdrawn like that.

Unch said:
Have been so excited this week because I was granted an interview at UVM (already bought plane tix etc). Got an e-mail from the Director of Admssions today, though, withdrawing the interview. I'm currently a first year med student in Ireland and UVM apparently has a policy that they won't interview or take anyone currently enrolled in med school. (But given UVM's four-year program versus Ireland's five years, it would make sense for me to go back and I'd love to be there.)

Anyone ever heard of this rule or know why they have it? I thought I'd make that much better of a candidate because of my resolve and year of med school, demonstrating my ability to handle the program yadda yadda. Any ideas?
My understanding is that (all?) US medical schools have this policy for the following reason. Once an applicant matriculates at a school, s/he essentially fills up a space at that school. If another school then "scoops" that applicant, the original school is left with an empty slot that they can't fill. To prevent this, the schools have a gentlemen's agreement whereby no school will take an applicant once s/he has matriculated at another school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
My understanding is that (all?) US medical schools have this policy for the following reason. Once an applicant matriculates at a school, s/he essentially fills up a space at that school. If another school then "scoops" that applicant, the original school is left with an empty slot that they can't fill. To prevent this, the schools have a gentlemen's agreement whereby no school will take an applicant once s/he has matriculated at another school.

Does this policy extend to Ross or St. George?

RayhanS1282 said:
Does this policy extend to Ross or St. George?
I don't know... (most helpful post ever on my part... "I don't know" lol)

lol...I'll take humor over answers.

I understand the scoop thing but I'm overseas and it's a totally different pool/system here. I'm not leaving an unfilled US spot and i doubt there's a gentleperson's agreement with Ireland on this count. Of course I detailed all these arguments in my 6 paragraph entreaty to the Dean (hey, I have her direct e-mail address now so what's to lose?!)

Unch said:
I understand the scoop thing but I'm overseas and it's a totally different pool/system here. I'm not leaving an unfilled US spot and i doubt there's a gentleperson's agreement with Ireland on this count. Of course I detailed all these arguments in my 6 paragraph entreaty to the Dean (hey, I have her direct e-mail address now so what's to lose?!)
wouldn't you be leaving an unfilled spot in your school though?

Unch said:

I'm not completely sure I understand. First of all, it may be a different pool, but they don't want to screw the med schools over there either. Second, I'm not sure why you're trying to switch. You're already in med school and not in the third world, but a European country... I'd say be happy, finish your degree and if you need to move over here for residency...

Unch said:
Have been so excited this week because I was granted an interview at UVM (already bought plane tix etc). Got an e-mail from the Director of Admssions today, though, withdrawing the interview.

Meh, Indian givers :(

/No offense to Indians, though.
//Just one of those old fangled expressions.

True enough but balancing a 4-year finish with a 4-year completion at a really good school back home, wouldn't you be tempted? I'm not even remotely disgruntled about being here-- just weighing options since even with good Step1 and Step2 scores, I'm still an IMG. I know things get better by the year for IMGs, especially from UK, Ireland, Oz and especially for those going into need areas like primary care. But UVM would still be better overall.

Unch said:

Will they not take you even if you start at M1 status? Or is it just that they don't want a transfer because they don't want to give you credit for your year in Ireland?

No for M1. I wouldn't be trying to transfer-- that's nearly impossible and only happens after year2 and after writing the USMLE Step1. The'yre barring me from a normal entry application.