• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Interview withdrawn- seriously bummed

Unch

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Victoria, BC
  1. Attending Physician
    Have been so excited this week because I was granted an interview at UVM (already bought plane tix etc). Got an e-mail from the Director of Admssions today, though, withdrawing the interview. I'm currently a first year med student in Ireland and UVM apparently has a policy that they won't interview or take anyone currently enrolled in med school. (But given UVM's four-year program versus Ireland's five years, it would make sense for me to go back and I'd love to be there.)

Anyone ever heard of this rule or know why they have it? I thought I'd make that much better of a candidate because of my resolve and year of med school, demonstrating my ability to handle the program yadda yadda. Any ideas?

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Oct 29, 2005
      yeah, i'm so sorry to hear something like that man. some schools did have policies like that. i know some schools dont accept transfers and i think in this case, it would be considered this. you should definitely go back and check every american school you applied to.

anyway, im really sorry to hear. i was shocked that an interview would be withdrawn like that.

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      May 22, 2005
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Unch said:
        Have been so excited this week because I was granted an interview at UVM (already bought plane tix etc). Got an e-mail from the Director of Admssions today, though, withdrawing the interview. I'm currently a first year med student in Ireland and UVM apparently has a policy that they won't interview or take anyone currently enrolled in med school. (But given UVM's four-year program versus Ireland's five years, it would make sense for me to go back and I'd love to be there.)

Anyone ever heard of this rule or know why they have it? I thought I'd make that much better of a candidate because of my resolve and year of med school, demonstrating my ability to handle the program yadda yadda. Any ideas?
        My understanding is that (all?) US medical schools have this policy for the following reason. Once an applicant matriculates at a school, s/he essentially fills up a space at that school. If another school then "scoops" that applicant, the original school is left with an empty slot that they can't fill. To prevent this, the schools have a gentlemen's agreement whereby no school will take an applicant once s/he has matriculated at another school.

About the Ads

RayhanS1282

perpetually percolated
        15+ Year Member
        Apr 8, 2004
        Sucking long and hard in New York
          Flopotomist said:
          My understanding is that (all?) US medical schools have this policy for the following reason. Once an applicant matriculates at a school, s/he essentially fills up a space at that school. If another school then "scoops" that applicant, the original school is left with an empty slot that they can't fill. To prevent this, the schools have a gentlemen's agreement whereby no school will take an applicant once s/he has matriculated at another school.

Does this policy extend to Ross or St. George?

Unch

10+ Year Member
          Jun 2, 2005
          Victoria, BC
          1. Attending Physician
            I understand the scoop thing but I'm overseas and it's a totally different pool/system here. I'm not leaving an unfilled US spot and i doubt there's a gentleperson's agreement with Ireland on this count. Of course I detailed all these arguments in my 6 paragraph entreaty to the Dean (hey, I have her direct e-mail address now so what's to lose?!)

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
            10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            May 22, 2005
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              Unch said:
              I understand the scoop thing but I'm overseas and it's a totally different pool/system here. I'm not leaving an unfilled US spot and i doubt there's a gentleperson's agreement with Ireland on this count. Of course I detailed all these arguments in my 6 paragraph entreaty to the Dean (hey, I have her direct e-mail address now so what's to lose?!)
              wouldn't you be leaving an unfilled spot in your school though?

Saluki

1K Member
              10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Nov 11, 2002
                Unch said:

I'm not completely sure I understand. First of all, it may be a different pool, but they don't want to screw the med schools over there either. Second, I'm not sure why you're trying to switch. You're already in med school and not in the third world, but a European country... I'd say be happy, finish your degree and if you need to move over here for residency...

TheDervish

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Oct 13, 2005
                1. Pre-Medical
                  Unch said:
                  Have been so excited this week because I was granted an interview at UVM (already bought plane tix etc). Got an e-mail from the Director of Admssions today, though, withdrawing the interview.

Meh, Indian givers :(

/No offense to Indians, though.
                  //Just one of those old fangled expressions.

Unch

10+ Year Member
                  Jun 2, 2005
                  Victoria, BC
                  1. Attending Physician
                    True enough but balancing a 4-year finish with a 4-year completion at a really good school back home, wouldn't you be tempted? I'm not even remotely disgruntled about being here-- just weighing options since even with good Step1 and Step2 scores, I'm still an IMG. I know things get better by the year for IMGs, especially from UK, Ireland, Oz and especially for those going into need areas like primary care. But UVM would still be better overall.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Oct 2, 2005
                      Unch said:

Will they not take you even if you start at M1 status? Or is it just that they don't want a transfer because they don't want to give you credit for your year in Ireland?

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.