interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to send a thank you card to the person who invites you for an interview? (before I come to the interview)

Members don't see this ad.

Has the interviewer volunteered to pay your traveling costs to bring you to the interview location? Has your particular interviewer (and I'm under the impression that you know the person's identity) been responsible for actions that have improved the quality of your life? What on Earth do you intent to write on your "Thank You" note? I doubt that the interviewer had accepted an article intended to bribe your way into the interviewing office. I'm sure that if you've been invited, the admissions committee thought you were qualified. The interview may just prove to be the most disastrous day of your life. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, is my advice to you. I understand that you're looking for some way to show your gratitude for getting that far in the application process, and even if the interviewer recognizes your interest in his/her entitled school by receiving an early thank you note, why would he/she care?

RELAX....
All I meant was whether it would be appropriate and polite to send a card.
I don't think that the person who send the card is on the committe.
I think that it's from the administration.
I do understand, though, why you don't think it is necessary.

[This message has been edited by futuredo (edited 11-18-1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Vegeta, that was rather rude! I can understand the question, and although I don't feel that it is necessary to send one before the interview I think your post was rather immature and extremely rude. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the impression I got.

Go Hawkeyes

I apologize. My previous post was rather harsh. I wasn't speaking directly to Futuredo, per se, I was just volunteering my opinion about just how much unnecessary participation that an applicant should avoid in the application process. I called each of the schools that I've applied to only once since they've sent me my application complete postcard and I was met with utter disdain in their voices while I was being excessively polite. I think that getting too involved with the members in the admissions offices (the "administrative staff") should simply be avoided. I doubt that them getting to know your name might affect the committee's decision on an applicant's status in any way, but safety first. Maybe I should've answered with a simple, "No, I don't think that you should send a 'thank you' card to the person that invites you for an interview."

I think that a simple note thanking the committee for taking the time to meet with you and reiterating your desire to go to that school shows maturity, responsibility and is a defintite must. I intend to send a note for every interview.

I never sent a note of any kind to the interviewers, before or after, and I was accepted to two places so far. Just a thought.....

I agree with Bill...and think that it couldn't hurt...being polite should be just because anyway...

Please don't let this get like the Princeton Board...

Same here rhillstr. I did send thank yous to all my recommenders, though.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 11-19-1999).]

Hey guys.
I wrote a Thank u letter to my interviewers. I figured, it couldn't hurt, and hey, I was interviewed by a member of the Student Affairs @ that school. I got accepted, before my Thank you letter got there, but it served its purpose, because I may be working with this person in the future. SO in my opinion, it can't hurt and could be helpful in other ways.
just my 2 cents

bong

I can't believe that I'm seeing such a strong reaction to someone asking about sending a thank you note. The last time I checked, making yourself standout from the crowd was one of the key ingredients to getting into medical school (or landing a residency position, a job, etc).

I'm a dietitian and when a student who is shadowing me sends a thank you card, I remeber it. Also, my personal training clients love it when I send them cards, thanking them for simply being my client. I don't see any reason why an interviewer would react differently. Ask any consultant the business world and they'll tell you that you should send a thank you card after an interview.

It's a potentially high yield activity that shouldn't be ignored; you never know when it could come down to 1 spot left for 2 people -every little thing counts...

Just my 2 cents. It's gotten me into 3 schools so far.

------------------
Phillip
Class of 2004 (somewhere)
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited 11-21-1999).]