interview!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by saiyagirl, Nov 27, 2002.

1. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

i FINALLY have my first interview! (georgetown)

yay!

now i have to go buy a suit.... :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios

Congrats! Im sure this is the first of many to come. :clap:

4. GuesswhozBizzak

saiyagirl,

WOW! Congratulations first of all!

Did they send you your interview request via snail mail, or did you get an email? Was it postmarked a certain date?

When was your application complete? Stats?

Sorry for the bombardment with questions-I feel like a lawyer all of a sudden :) I just got a rejection from CWRU yesterday, and am looking for any positive signs right now. Thanks a lot!

~JZ

5. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member

Congrats! good luck on your interview!!
    The campus district was so beautiful when i visited there two months ago; i'm sure you'll love it.

6. care bear

care bear pink fuzzy user

woohoo! that's awesome. gtown is such a great school!
    i'm so jealous ;)
    go you!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

7. Tweetie_bird

Saiya girl,
    I've been following your story for a while now and if anybody deserves it, it's YOU!! I am so happy for you. GTown is a kick [email protected]@ school and I know you'll enjoy it. Unfortunately they gave me the boot. :( In any case, brush up on a lot of ethics (they have a strong emphasis) and also think a bit about health policy issues. I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in your interview just because of their emphasis.

Good luck and kick butt!! When is the interview anyway?

8. lola

lola Bovine Member

:hardy: congratulations... that's great!!
    ...i'm jealous :p

9. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

Congrats! =)

I agree with Tweetie on this one. They asked me tons of questions about HMOs, ethical situations, positives and negatives of US health care, egalitarian versus entitlement-based health care, etc. Also, they emphasized the Jesuit philosophy and the humanistic component of medicine, and often look for similar ideals in their applicants. So prepare yourself, but relax and have fun!

10. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    :clap: :D Congrats!!! :D :clap:

11. Tweetie_bird

Thanks for agreeing! :D

Also don't forget that GTown has somewhat of an emphasis on hollistic medicine. They have a few extra courses offered in Alternative Medicine; so if they spring it on you at the interview, be ready to talk about it. They may ask you for your opinion on it. Or they may ask you how you feel about it's inclusion in the curriculum. Read over their website for that info. It's very informative. Know the different kinds of Alternative Medicine modalities and see which one they emphasize more.

If they don't bring it up at the interview, it's something YOU can ask about if say....the interview is not going well or going too dry. Use that weapon in your favor. :D

PS: Cane, I assume egalitarian medicine/entitlement based medicine = universal health care/insurance paid healthcare. Right? I've just never heard of those terms.

12. Chieka

Chieka Senior Member

Congrats saiyagirl!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

C.

13. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

thanks everyone!! aww! you all are great. okay to answer GuessWho's questions:

i think my application was complete in late october, but i got the georgetown confirmation that it was (via email) 11/11. the invite was via snail mail, and it's postmarked 11/23. looks like these dudes are pretty fast (i'm honestly not expecting any more news for quite awhile, i hear it can take at least a month or even two for most schools). i haven't scheduled the interview yet, but the letter says i have to have it by 1/24. is anyone else interviewing there in dec/jan?

and thanks for all the tips, too! though i have opinions on the ethical and policy issues i sometimes still feel that i don't have enough background information, esp about the health care system. actually on an SDNers recommendation i bought this book called Understanding Health Policy by Thomas S. Bodenheimer and Kevin Grumbach. I bought it for $7 and change on ebay two weeks ago and got it today. looks good, easy to read, very thorough, unbiased approach (from what i can tell). anway for those of you in need of good readin on the topic, that's one idea :)

i'm a little worried about diversity at gtown and whether i'll feel stifiled in a conservative atmosphere (i'm generally liberal but am attracted to their humanistic curriculum). but i guess i have to go see for myself. any thoughts?

btw, what airport is closest to gtown? i'm hoping i can fly jetblue.

14. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Also, this week's Newsweek cover story is about alternative medicine.

15. Tweetie_bird

Heyyyy, you're like me!! I just bought the book myself for 7 bucks (second hand) and they sent me what looks like a new book!! I got it a few days ago and have been hoping to start reading it ASAP. Wanna be my study buddy? Perhaps we can read each chapter and talk about it. Perhaps we can do our own book club thing. :D Whaddya think?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. GuesswhozBizzak

Saiya,

thanks a ton for the feedback. I was complete the same date as you, then I had some MCAT issues and did not get cleared again until the 15th. I also live in Canada, so if they post marked the letter Nov 23rd, I probably won't get it until at least next friday. I'll be in Connecticut at that time, so will have to make sure I have a cell phone to call home and find out the news (hopefully positive!!). Anyone know if the states has GSM cell phone technology?

Thanks to everyone else for the interview info. Due to the innate differences between the Canadian and American health care systems, I definately have a little to bone up on re: health policy, problems in the system, and health insurance. It's so hard getting time to prepare for thes einterviews when you have to work 80+ hours a week.

Anyway, all the best on your interview-be honest and share your personal opinions; I'm sure they will appreciate that. Don't rock the boat too much though!

~JZ

18. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Member

Just wanted to chime in and say congrats! Good luck and knock em dead!