Interviewed and Rejected/Waitlisted at ALL Top Choices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the deicisons get closer and closer to my mailbox, I'm worrying more and more....

I'm wondering if any of you have gotten interviews at most (3/4 or 4/5, etc.) of 'top tier' schools that you applied to, and then were rejected and/or waitlisted at ALL of them? Or know of people in that position? This whole thing is really freaking me out....

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

hey quideam,

I feel you. I've been rejected/waitlisted from UCLA and Stanford and I'm thinking the same will happen with Cornell and UCSF-UCB... because I'm very pessimistic about all of this.

I think we have just as good a chance as anyone else at these "top tier" schools and I really think telling a school that you will attend if admitted makes a big difference in terms of chances. But we also have to face the fact that the level of competition is amplified for these schools, and that one acceptance out of 4 interviews is not guaranteed.

March is the big month, I'm pretty nervous.

Really Acceptance's not guaranteed. When I got my UCLA (Out of State) acceptance, I thought my chance at Northwestern will be decent, considering that UCLA is a bit more competitive and accepts like 1/4 or 1/5 of interviewees, while Northwestern accepts like 1/2 or more of interviewees.

I was WRONG...
A bit disappointed because I really love Chicago when I visited the place, and I don't mind being in a cold and windy city :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are confirming my worst fears :). Well, best to be realistic, I guess... now i'm starting to wish that I had applied to more schools :(

Jefferson and Einstein are great schools. And note that I"m a very pessimistic person!

Haha! Thanks DoctorKevin. I'm definetely crossing my fingers for you with Cornell... I remember looking at your face and thinking "wow, this guy is absolutely in love with the school!!" :)

Originally posted by quideam
Haha! Thanks DoctorKevin. I'm definetely crossing my fingers for you with Cornell... I remember looking at your face and thinking "wow, this guy is absolutely in love with the school!!" :)

Awww that's nice to hear. I'll cross my fingers for you too.

I think the interview stage is the real difficult one to get over.

if you think about it tho, post interview you probably will get into 1-2 of those really top schools.

say avg. acceptance %ile is 30, so 70% don't get in,

chance six schools don;t accept--

(.7)^6 == .117 or 12% chance that none of the schools take. People getting all WL/rejection happens on occasion as do 6/6 accepts, but most people probably get a few accepts from ~10 interviews.

Quideam, chillax! You're going to be ok. You're obviously a quality applicant because you've gotten great interviews. Now the most you can do is take a deep breath and wait. Contemplating about possible scenarios and acceptance patterns isn't going to do much good at this point.

Best of luck. :)

Originally posted by quideam
As the deicisons get closer and closer to my mailbox, I'm worrying more and more....

I'm wondering if any of you have gotten interviews at most (3/4 or 4/5, etc.) of 'top tier' schools that you applied to, and then were rejected and/or waitlisted at ALL of them? Or know of people in that position? This whole thing is really freaking me out....

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sounds a lot like me.

As DoctorKevin pointed out though, March is the big month and today is only March 1st. There are a lot of great schools that have not sent their decisions yet - schools like HMS, Penn, etc... I wouldn't get worried just yet....

Besides if you get interviews at top schools, chances are that you have been accepted to medical school. Which means that either way, you are going to be a doctor in 4 years!!!