Interviewed for Staff position at VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotus143

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have gone through this process or know of someone who had gone through this process, how long does it take to get an offer from the VA after interviewing for a staff psychologist position? It's been one month since I interviewed and I have not heard anything and the wait is killing me. I was not informed after the interview how long it would take to hear back from them or by what method. So I have no idea how long this is going to take and if they will call or email me. Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have gone through this process or know of someone who had gone through this process, how long does it take to get an offer from the VA after interviewing for a staff psychologist position? It's been one month since I interviewed and I have not heard anything and the wait is killing me. I was not informed after the interview how long it would take to hear back from them or by what method. So I have no idea how long this is going to take and if they will call or email me. Thanks in advance for any input.

Anywhere from a couple weeks to 4 months from personal and secondhand experience.

Reactions: 1 user

1 week-6 months...likely depending on if you are/were first choice, or how how far down the line you are and how far they had to go down the line to get someone to accept. Sometimes the dont like anyone and cancel the position. But of course they dont do that in any timely fashion.

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, it can range from 1 day to who knows how long. Due to the wonder that is VA HR issues, it really varies. I was offered my job less than 24 hours after my interview and I needed to decide in less than a week because HR was pushing for an answer before the time to fill the position was closed. Though I had multiple phone interviews before that. On previous interviews, I didn't hear anything for months afterward following multiple interviews and the position was closed without a hire eventually. It really depends on that particular VA as HR and administration is the biggest hoop for the whole hiring process.

I had a phone interview for a VA position back in 2008 and I still have not heard back from them!

Reactions: 2 users
I had a phone interview for a VA position back in 2008 and I still have not heard back from them!
Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get a call back any day now. You didn't accept another job, did you?

Reactions: 2 users
1 day to 6+ months. The first had everything lined up in regard to funding and approval; it helped they also had a VERY motivated Chief in need of the position. The other was the better part of a year. I was warned it would “take some time”.

Few months. It is an awful awful process. And hey, if it all works out and you accept then congratulations, you get to go through the joys of VA credentialing, yay!

And after that, you can go through the joys of years of pay freezes and inevitable cuts to your pension!

I think it’s okay after a few weeks to ask if you are still being considered for the position.