Interviewer asked 'how did you finance undergrad and postbacc' how to respond...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexrgross

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you respond? I was not sure how to relate that back to being prepared for medical school.

I told them I took out mostly federal loans, and private loans co-signed by my parents to cover the rest...

Members don't see this ad.

Just be honest? Be yourself in interviews, don't try to think about what the interviewer is getting at or what you think they want to hear. Maybe they wanted to see if you had some kind of financial support system (like if you took out loans for tuition and living but your parents helped you out with extras or something).

Members don't see this ad :)
Loans.

And if you had a job, tell them you used all your money for school (even if you used them on random stuff like clothes and booze).

i wud just say i went to a cheap state school... was like 1400 a semester then went to like 3k my final semester. haha so n oloans. parents pid

"American Express. Got some cool stuff with my points too!"

Haha, yeah that'd be nice. Or one could go with "I racked up a decent amount of airmiles so I could fly here today."

But to answer OP's question, I would just simply speak the truth. Honesty is definitely the best policy. For me undergrad was pretty much free and I am very grateful for my parents for this. Hooray for state scholarships and college savings programs! :woot:

Good response. Honesty is the best policy, but I wonder what they were getting at. :confused:

Yea, that definately was not in any mock interview or stock question sheet I read....I guess some interviewers ask their own questions. What were they getting at.....

Of all the tricky questions an interview might have asked, this one has got to be the most normal. It seems to me that you're over-thinking this to the max. They asked you how you paid for your undergrad and postbacc. A simple question gets a simple answer. Not everything has to relate back to medical school. Sometimes people, yes even adcoms, are just curious.

With that said, I would have told them "Chippendales" (yes - 6'2" cut like diamonds, thick, solid, and tight)