Interviewer asking about Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KMF

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been on a few interviews now and two or three of them have asked me specifically if I took a DAT prep class. I've been honest with them that I did take a Kaplan course, however, I'm kind of feeling that they may look negatively on me for that. It seems that they would be much more impressed if you didn't take a Kaplan course. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I don't think they should have an opinion on this issue. It should not matter whether or not you took the course; all they should look at are your DAT scores. I would ask them what they would recommend if you were their kid and applying to dental school? it would be interesting to see what they would say in that situation. Don?t worry too much though, they?re probably just curious.

I forgot about it till now, but at one of my interviews the interviewer asked me the same thing. I was wondering why they had asked it and the only thing I can figure is that it might look better if you were motivated enough to do the studying on your own with no course. But who knows, I doubt it matters at all compared to what you actually got.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got asked the same question on two different interviews. I am thinking maybe they ask people who did very well. Kaplan DOES help tremendously.

To the previous posters: How good was your score?

My score was ok, 19-19-20, but I didnt use the Kaplan course, just the book.

I was also asked the same question. I was honest and said I had taken the Kaplan course. I know my DAT grades are not that great considering the effort I put into it, and I am hoping that my "confession" will not go against me. I really hope that they asked that question out of curiosity, and not to evaluate my capability.

I do not think it matter if you took the Kaplan course or not. You still have to learn the material; unless, Kaplan can use the magical floppy to down load the information for a fee of $2000.

This is why I decide not to any preparatory course. I had all the information at home in my textbooks. The only thing Kaplan can do for someone is say, "study". I do not need any body to tell me to study to get motivated.

Originally posted by Thaxil
I do not think it matter if you took the Kaplan course or not. You still have to learn the material; unless, Kaplan can use the magical floppy to down load the information for a fee of $2000.

This is why I decide not to any preparatory course. I had all the information at home in my textbooks. The only thing Kaplan can do for someone is say, "study". I do not need any body to tell me to study to get motivated.

Its not the Review guide that is valuable, its the bank of practice questions you get when you are a member.

I agree...i thought the kaplan classes and books were subpar...basically, i didn't really learn anything from them. what i used was the crapload of practice tests they had. all i have to say is that practice tests are what make u better. at least that's what i experienced. but other than that, to get back to the main theme of this thread, i really dont think it matters if you took kaplan or not. i wouldn't think so at least....but then again, i know nothing...

ShawnOne,

That was one thing I wish I had. All those thousand of questions and practice PAT. Once, I tried to pretend I was a member, but got kick out. Damn!

I think asking if you took the course is a ******ed thing to ask. It's just like asking, "did you study for the DAT?" Taking it or not shouldnt make no matter.... your knowledge/understanding is shown in your scores and it shouldn't matter through what methods you obtained it.

I had an interviewer ask me the question, I responded no.... he says "well maybe you should have." And I scored 20/23. Go figure.

Yup, I was also asked if I had taken a prep course. I was asked specifically about the PAT prep. I was wondering why they would ask such a thing. Perhaps people are not scoring as high in the PAT section this year as in the past. I was truthful about Kaplan...I felt the classes stunk, but the test material was great! The PAT was a joke in Kaplan, my real exam was much, much, harder. The topscore was even easier! I also expressed to my interviewers how terrible the resolution of the computers were in the test center. They voiced the fact that many students had had the same complaint!

Originally posted by Turnpike
I had an interviewer ask me the question, I responded no.... he says "well maybe you should have." And I scored 20/23. Go figure.

Maybe this is indicative of rising DAT scores as Gavin has tried to argue in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jaap
Maybe this is indicative of rising DAT scores as Gavin has tried to argue in the past.

I?m not getting into this argument, but I can assure you that it had nothing to do with the average DAT being anywhere near 20/20. More than likely this interviewer was just trying to ruffle your feathers and see how you responded. Patients aren?t always going to like your work, but you have to deal with each and every one in a consistent and calm manor? even if you have to go to court to prove you were right in the issue.

Don't worry Zurich. Jaap made something like a 27 or 28 on the DAT and he's trying to make other people nervous. I guess some people just get a little too cocky.

I wasn?t calling him out per se. But, I just don?t enjoy watching people who read this (and don?t? post) get discouraged because they don?t have a 20/20 DAT. No case in the dental application game is similar, granted you can say that X school needs Y gpa/DAT to produce Z dentists, but every person is different. Does Jaap?s 27 DAT mean that he?ll be a better dentist than anyone else here? No way. All it shows is that he is very good at taking standardized tests. End soapbox. By the way, do you go to UT? Football is struggling this year.

Please Zurich....did you really have to talk about UT football? That hurts man. ;)

DAT score have increased even in good economic times recently with dropping applicant pools. This was surprising to the authors of the report I read off the ADA website because the usual trend is lower applicant pool# = lower stats. I believe there will be a larger applicant pool with slightly better stats then before. I base this assumption off the five year pattern of slight incremental increases in GPA and DAT. I am just extrapolating; I am no expert. Maybe someone who knows of the report can post it for others to read. I read it by way of a link through SDN.

you guys just reminded me. on one of my interviews, they didn't specificially ask about the Kaplan course (I didn't take it anyway) but they asked me how I prepared for the DAT, and then they made some comments on individual sections. many schools have asked that question on the interview, i think there must be a reason other than curiosity.

Originally posted by besqaurewithme
Don't worry Zurich. Jaap made something like a 27 or 28 on the DAT and he's trying to make other people nervous. I guess some people just get a little too cocky.

Actually, I am amazed that an interviewer would saw something like that with such good scores and was trying to offer an explanation. Zurich's explanation isn't bad, but it still remains a strange comment from your interviewer (maybe he didn't like your tie).

What do I have to gain by making other people nervous? I would like to think I've made some positive contribution to this forum as opposed to your two weeks of antagonism. Oh well, you're banned anyways. Sometimes I wonder how many real people are behind these trolls. It's probably just one or two and we get to live through all their reincarnations.

Originally posted by Zurich5 Does Jaap?s 27 DAT mean that he?ll be a better dentist than anyone else here? No way. All it shows is that he is very good at taking standardized tests.

How does this correlate with anything in our previous discussion? If I have ever insinuated that higher DAT scores=better dentist then I should be banned along with besquarewithme for my stupidity. As it stands I am under no such delusions, and am somewhat annoyed by your comment.

The interviewer asked if I took kaplan, and then looked at my score. Then go on saying, the test is just recyle and on and on....
He tried to find an explanation that score was high..... He didn't care much about how I studied for it night.. day...

Originally posted by jaap

How does this correlate with anything in our previous discussion? If I have ever insinuated that higher DAT scores=better dentist then I should be banned along with besquarewithme for my stupidity. As it stands I am under no such delusions, and am somewhat annoyed by your comment.

Sorry, just saw this one. I apologize. I wasn't saying that you will make a horrible dentist; I was merely stating that I do not think that strong DAT's correspond to solid clinical/marketing/patient interaction skills. I did not mean to annoy you.... just using your case as an example.

The interviewer asked if I took kaplan, and then looked at my score. Then go on saying, the test is just recyle and on and on....

Are you serious DATGURU? You got good scores and they tried to find some reasoning to discredit them! I think that is ridiculous. That is like saying your too stupid to achieve those scores unless you had seen the questions before.

If this is the case, with my low GPA they will probability come up with the same conclusion.

Weird people do that some time. Interviewer is not a dentist. He didn't take DAT before.
I just lost one chance. There are many nicer people out there.