interviewers' opinion of choosing their med school to stay near familiy

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pocwana, May 27, 2002.

1. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    do interviewers think selecting their med school so that you can stay near family is a valid reason?
    obviously, not the only reason, but among your priorities.

thx

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Soda pop

Soda pop Member

I don't see why it would be a negative reason, especially if you also have other reasons for wanting to attend that particular school.

4. vyc

vyc Senior Member

i think that is a totally valid reason.

families can provide stability and support, both of which you will need a lot of during med school.

it wasn't important for me but everyone is different.

5. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

I think it's a totally valid reason too. Being close to my family is a huge priority and all my top medical school choices are the ones that are close to home. What makes it nice is that they are all respectable too! :)

6. nebula7

nebula7 Senior Member

During interviews, I gave this reason as one of my top reasons for choosing the school I did, and I was accepted. For one thing, this shows you are more likely to practice in that area, which makes you a plus in the eyes of some schools (especially those interested in keeping their grads in the state in which the school is located). One of my interviewers said he was glad to hear my family was fairly close to their school, because they have learned that students tend to go back and practice where their family is located.

7. ecm2

ecm2 Junior Member

I think this is a great reason - of course, just as long as its not the only one.
    In one of my in-state interviews, I talked about how I would enjoy being close to family and friends because they are very important to me. I was later accepted at that school.
    Hope this helps!
    :D

8. Hendooneh

Hendooneh Member

I think its more important to show interest in the school itself. Med schools want students that will be happy there and being with your family is definitely a factor in being happy so it can be ONE of your reasons but not your main one.

9. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member

I'll speak from experience that it is a good reason, but shouldn't be the main reason. I interviewed a a couple out of state schools and got the "why our state" question, to which I replied that I had family in the area. They seemed to look at this positively.

10. none

none 1K Member

Yeah, it's an okay reason, but a very poor main reason. Schools will definitely not view it as positive if that is your only reason for wanting to attend.

11. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    thanks for all the posts! :D