interviewers putting you down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULTRA nerves

it's the mnemonic
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed not so long ago and received a rather unpleasant feedback from one of the interviewers. The interview was a closed file but I was asked for my GPA and the MCAT scores. Is this a common occurrence, by the way? He actually complimented me that I was an example of a successful story, but at same time, he did say that if I ever apply again to the school, I would have a better chance. At first I thought that he seemed sympathic and supportive of my situation, but now that I am thinking about it, was he hinting me something? Has anyone out there experienced something like this before? Would you take this as a bad sign? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

ULTRA nerves said:
I interviewed not so long ago and received a rather unpleasant feedback from one of the interviewers. The interview was a closed file but I was asked for my GPA and the MCAT scores. Is this a common occurrence, by the way? He actually complimented me that I was an example of a successful story, but at same time, he did say that if I ever apply again to the school, I would have a better chance. At first I thought that he seemed sympathic and supportive of my situation, but now that I am thinking about it, was he hinting me something? Has anyone out there experienced something like this before? Would you take this as a bad sign? :oops:

Certainly doesn't sound like a good sign. But yes, in many interviews they will ask the numerical stats if they aren't given to them.

ULTRA nerves said:
I interviewed not so long ago and received a rather unpleasant feedback from one of the interviewers. The interview was a closed file but I was asked for my GPA and the MCAT scores. Is this a common occurrence, by the way? He actually complimented me that I was an example of a successful story, but at same time, he did say that if I ever apply again to the school, I would have a better chance. Would you take this as a bad sign? :oops:

Yeah, I would take it as a bad sign ... sorry :(

I can't imagine that he would say "apply again" if he thought very highly of your chances of getting in the first time. You didn't mention how long ago you interviewed, but if it was recently, it is likely that he meant you'd have a better shot if you apply/interview again earlier next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all your honesty...I was afraid of that. (yes, the interview was recent.) At least though, I won't have to wait for the mailman and be hugely disappointed. It doesn't really make sense as to why the adcom invited me for an interview at all, if they already planned on marking me as a weak candidate.

ULTRA nerves said:
Thanks for all your honesty...I was afraid of that. (yes, the interview was recent.) At least though, I won't have to wait for the mailman and be hugely disappointed. It doesn't really make sense as to why the adcom invited me for an interview at all, if they already planned on marking me as a weak candidate.

I had an interview that went like that at Penn State. The person giving my interview was very supportive but he also recommended applying to DOs in the future.

My interviewer at MUO confirmed my mcat score, and then asked "If you don't get in, what would you do to improve your app?" I was very honest and said I would retake the mcat and apply again. He then said, "That sounds like a good idea, and its good that you won't let an obstacle like not getting in here discourage you." :mad:

I was accepted three weeks later. :) So don't read too much into what the interviewer said. You never know...

I had a similar experience. My interviewer said I was the perfect candidate for their school, except for my MCAT. She said that if I didn't get in this year I should study for the test again and I would be a total shoo-in at most schools... she was actually very encouraging about that too! the whole, DONT GIVE UP bla bla...although I have to say I wasn't that happy to hear how she felt about me. I got waitlisted, but at least I know why...there's all kinds of outcomes. Just don't keep your hopes up too high.

NapeSpikes said:
My interviewer at MUO confirmed my mcat score, and then asked "If you don't get in, what would you do to improve your app?" I was very honest and said I would retake the mcat and apply again. He then said, "That sounds like a good idea, and its good that you won't let an obstacle like not getting in here discourage you." :mad:

I was accepted three weeks later. :) So don't read too much into what the interviewer said. You never know...
Its usually a voting thing most times...so if one person says something bad, cross your fingers and hope that someone else on the board appreciates your good qualities more than the person who interviewed you...

As for putting people down, I didn't get into med school before that happened to me. My premed advisor asked why I wanted to be a doctor. Well, i don't know the answer to that besides that I haven't really thought about ever being anything else and I want to help. I just thought medicine would be a good way to go about it and she says to me "well, you don't have a strong reason as far as i am hearing, have you considered going into another field?" of all the blows. Well, needless to say, i never went to her for advising anymore. If i wanted to talk BS about loving patients, geez...I could go on for 7000 words about that. I was just trying to be honest with her.....

During two separate interviews at two different schools, I was asked by an interviewer what I would do if I wasn't accepted to med school this year. This seems like a reasonable question, only it came after they looked at my file and badgered me about not doing research......uh, I didn't do it because I was taking a full load, playing water polo, doing club/school stuff and working three jobs to put myself through school. I doubt cleaning someone's glassware would have really made me well-rounded. I think it's an alright question to ask, it just depends on how it's asked. I got it the snooty way....which made it easier to let go seeing as I was already accepted at 2 schools during both of the interviews :)

Doing research and cleaning glassware are 2 different things, and doing REAL research would have made you a well rounded person, although I agree that cleaning glassware would not have.

And if you did clean glassware and asked the prof to write you a letter describing your wonderful research project, they would be honest in the letter and say that you were a dishwasher.

But don't assume that people who claim to have research experience actually have no research experience. I worked for 2.5 years in a real research lab on my own projects and I never once cleaned a test tube. It is a very valuable experience, which in my case led me to conclude that my original path of grad school-research was not the right one for me.

On the other hand, the dishwasher was paid (well, I might add) and I was not

annamoo said:
Doing research and cleaning glassware are 2 different things, and doing REAL research would have made you a well rounded person...
At the end of the experience, make sure you have proof that you weren't a lab monkey. THE BEST way to do this is to get a publication. Publications come in many forms: an abstract, poster presentation, conference presentation, and of course, a full-length journal article. Have something you can point to when the interviewer says, "What did you do in this lab?"

Always, always, always, report numbers (GPA, MCAT) in your PS or other essays, especially if they are a weakness. This goes double for "closed file" interviews. Interviewers don't want to be surprised after they're done talking to you and reviewing your transcripts. Full disclosure beforehand frees up the entire interview to let the interviewer leanr more about you and gives you more time to sell them on you.

RxnMan said:
At the end of the experience, make sure you have proof that you weren't a lab monkey. THE BEST way to do this is to get a publication. Publications come in many forms: an abstract, poster presentation, conference presentation, and of course, a full-length journal article. Have something you can point to when the interviewer says, "What did you do in this lab?"

Always, always, always, report numbers (GPA, MCAT) in your PS or other essays, especially if they are a weakness. This goes double for "closed file" interviews. Interviewers don't want to be surprised after they're done talking to you and reviewing your transcripts. Full disclosure beforehand frees up the entire interview to let the interviewer leanr more about you and gives you more time to sell them on you.

Why? I thought the point of closed file interviews is that they are evaluating your personal qualifications to be a doctor without the bias of your numerical qualifications. I interviewed at two schools that had blind interviews and I am pretty sure the interviewers had no way of finding out what your numbers were (and no one ever asked for them).... so why bring them up if they are a weakness.

star22 said:
Why? I thought the point of closed file interviews is that they are evaluating your personal qualifications to be a doctor without the bias of your numerical qualifications. I interviewed at two schools that had blind interviews and I am pretty sure the interviewers had no way of finding out what your numbers were (and no one ever asked for them).... so why bring them up if they are a weakness.
Yes, it sounds counter- productive/intuitive. But at the schools I've investigated, the interviewers look at your complete file after they're done talking to you. If you have some weakness they will see it. Every admissions comittee member I've spoken to has said: "No surprises!" They don't want to have a great time with you in the interview and then find out you did XYZ. At best, they will surprised, at worst, they could consider it a lie of omission. I say, give them full disclosure, but on your terms. Don't let them infer that you are dishonest.

RxnMan said:
Yes, it sounds counter- productive/intuitive. But at the schools I've investigated, the interviewers look at your complete file after they're done talking to you. If you have some weakness they will see it. Every admissions comittee member I've spoken to has said: "No surprises!" They don't want to have a great time with you in the interview and then find out you did XYZ. At best, they will surprised, at worst, they could consider it a lie of omission. I say, give them full disclosure, but on your terms. Don't let them infer that you are dishonest.

If they don't ask, then you never omitted anything.

RxnMan said:
Just to add something: if you don't get a publication - a distinct possibility - make sure you can frame your experience with regard to the scientific method. What was the hypothesis? What was the question that made you and the PI and the post-docs and the techs and the graduate students spend so much time, energy, and money researching? What were the methods, what were the observations (as a undergrad you should at least be directly involved in these two), and what were the conclusions?
This way even if you don't get a publication at least you'll have a good understanding of what was going on in the lab and why. Of course, if you get a lab that isn't well grounded in the scientific method (ah, how can you not love the fishing expedition - aka library screen to see what sticks to your protein of interest?) then you will know why that didn't work and can frame your experience within those auspices.

Psychoanalyzed said:
As for putting people down, I didn't get into med school before that happened to me. My premed advisor asked why I wanted to be a doctor. Well, i don't know the answer to that besides that I haven't really thought about ever being anything else and I want to help . I just thought medicine would be a good way to go about it and she says to me "well, you don't have a strong reason as far as i am hearing..."

I don't think she was putting you down. It is kind of a weak answer, and it sounds like maybe she wanted to give you constructive criticism?

star22 said:
If they don't ask, then you never omitted anything.
Again, in the schools I've applied to, the people you interview with are the same people who see your whole file. The difference is that they haven't seen it in it's entirety (no MCAT, GPA) before they talk to you. In my case, there's no escaping it and they're no point in trying to hide it.

Think of it like the Gambler's Dilemma (a theory providing reasons for participating in religion). I could get away with it, with a little gain. Or I could not, and be in deep trouble.

RxnMan said:
Think of it like the Gambler's Dilemma (a theory providing reasons for participating in religion). I could get away with it, with a little gain. Or I could not, and be in deep trouble.

Also known as Pascal's Wager, for anyone who wants to look into it.

I agree that the interviewer likely didn't intend to be negative...it is very late in the application process these guys have seen a lot of great applicants and some of them they unfortunately will not get to see matriculate at their institution even though they feel very strongly that these people belong there. What she was probably trying to tell you is to not give up on XYZ school of medicine if indeed you have to reapply...I know at some schools (MCW in particular) the stats of those accepted later in the application process are significantly greater than those accepted early on...it is possible to get into a school from a march or april interview, but I think a lot of those who are successful are applicants with great stats and EC's who for one reason or another were way to lazy to submit their stuff early (I know some guys who probably could have gone to top 30 schools who are no trying to decide between the Albany's, RFU's and SLU's of the world bc they were too lazy to get their stuff in and now those schools are jumping at the chance to nab a kid with a 3.8 GPA and 34 MCAT who was involved on campus. Don't let the comment discourage you he/she was probably trying to tell you that you are qualified and may be more successful the next time around.

jebus said:
Just to add something: if you don't get a publication - a distinct possibility...
Folks, you have much more control over these experiences than you think - you just may not know the opportunities available. Most summer research programs require you to submit a final report and do a (poster or podium) presentation - this qualifies as a publication. If you're not part of a formal program, then ask your PI on the first day: "Are there any local conferences that will be held around the end of my time here in the lab?" Many hospitals hold small conferences evey 6 months to show off resident research. Small, local science conferences abound. These are perfect for summer students. During your last week, open up PowerPoint, whip out a poster, and show it at the conference.

If these ideas don't work, then ask your PI if she/he has collaborators or investors, or is a part of a local consortium. These groups holds meetings monthly or bi-monthly, and make excellent opportunities to summarize and present your summer work.

In short, be proactive. Tell your PI from day one you want proof of being there. PIs recognize that for you to have proof, you must have made a significant contribution to the lab. They reward that willingness to work hard positively.